A question of releases.

  • RJ Bachner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      Heya

      I have an odd request, I have a freind who wishes to get into archery, primarily sca archery and I
      wish to save him from the evils of a crossbow.

      The problem is he has had a nasty altercation with a hydralic press and has lost various parts and
      peices of his string fingers and cannot draw the bow the way we normally do. A thumb ring is not
      what he wants to use either.

      I found a wooden release called a bow lock that he could use and since it is wood with no moving
      parts I do not think the sca marshalls will have too much of a problem with it.

      Is anyone familiar with the idea and could he get away with it on the line?

      Herre Ragi "warm Bear" WulÞarsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
      (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

      Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
      ragi@...

      Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
      www.diy.brokenaxe.ca
      and the shoppe @
      www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

      House of the broken axe.
      www.brokenaxe.ca
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        From the generic SCA target regulations

        The Target Archery Marshal-in-Charge shall make necessary allowances
        for handicapped archers, provided that range safety is not
        compromised by these allowances.

        I am not familiar with the specific release that you mention but, as
        shown above, the rules do allow for justified exceptions. The bow
        lock described does sound like a good compromise.

        Of course, I have no problems with a nice period crossbow on the line
        either.

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, RJ Bachner <ragiwarmbear@s...>
        wrote:
        > Heya
        >
        > I have an odd request, I have a freind who wishes to get into
        archery, primarily sca archery and I
        > wish to save him from the evils of a crossbow.
        >
        > The problem is he has had a nasty altercation with a hydralic press
        and has lost various parts and
        > peices of his string fingers and cannot draw the bow the way we
        normally do. A thumb ring is not
        > what he wants to use either.
        >
        > I found a wooden release called a bow lock that he could use and
        since it is wood with no moving
        > parts I do not think the sca marshalls will have too much of a
        problem with it.

        > Is anyone familiar with the idea and could he get away with it on
        the line?

        > Herre Ragi "warm Bear" WulÞarsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon
        Dormant.
        > (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)
        >
        > Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
        > ragi@b...
        >
        > Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
        > www.diy.brokenaxe.ca
        > and the shoppe @
        > www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca
        >
        > House of the broken axe.
        > www.brokenaxe.ca
      • Tessa the Huntress
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
          I'm sorry I can't help much with this, but an old friends of mine, Angus
          Half-hand I believe had a similar situation. This was back when I tried to
          get everyone to do combat archery. I used a bow, not a crossbow. When he
          said he wanted to try it I handed my bow to him and only then realized that
          he didn't have two whole hands. I was at a loss, since I didn't know what
          or how he could shoot.

          Luckily, he had no hestitation.. and whipped out a leather lacing and laced
          his hand to the bow. This was at least 10 years ago, but I know he's still
          playing and I believe he did and perhaps still does some target archery, so
          maybe someone in Atlantia can give a better description or more detail of
          how he shoots with a bow.

          Perhaps, learning to shoot with his off-hand, tying his other hand to the
          bow (if need be) could work for him. Or.. perhaps he can use arrows with a
          snap nock.. and one of those arrow release cords. it's the loop that is
          attached to the bow string, rather than hold onto the arrow or the string,
          you pull that cord (usually by putting a finger/fingers in the loop).

          I'm not certain what you call it.. if that's not the correct term, let me
          know and I'll look it up. I know of several archers who have made a
          modified version of it with their combat bow & arrows, since they couldn't
          do a good draw in their full gauntlets. They do well with it. I believe it
          has to be done with a snap nock, otherwise the arrow will fall off of the
          string when you go to pull back the cord.

          Just two ideas that will hopefully give you a place to start.

          Tessa the Huntress