Re: [SCA-Archery] Event differences/Seeking advice

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
      that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
      and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
      am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
      target accurately.

      First befor I give any advice I need to know more about your current skill
      level. Like how long have you been shooting, how many arrows a week you
      shoot for practice, have you switched from other forms of archery? How did
      you findout you had random arrow speed? Is your longbow a fiberglass
      American longbow or a selfwood bow?

      I to do not undersand the comment that a crossbow has the same advantage as
      a higher poundage bow. It only takes a 60-70lb crossbow to equal the "arc"
      of a 25-30 lb longbow. The crossbow has the same dis-advantage of having to
      figure out the "arc". The advantage is that a crossbow has the exact same
      release every time. Yes a higher poundage crossbow(just like a high
      poundage longbow) will have less of an "arc" to a set distance than a lower
      poundage bow, but it still has an "arc".

      James Cunningham

      > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
      how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
      get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

      > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
      poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent
      than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have
      no advantage! Hmmmmm....
    • Mike Hornbaker
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
        I might suggest there is a 4th method of release. I learned this when
        learning the longbow, read in a book, and also found corroboration in
        the Toxophilius. Once at your anchor point, yourelax the fingers just
        ENOUGH so that the pressure on the string bumps the fingers out of its
        way at the same time the hand goes back a little farther along the same
        line. That extra motion is about 1/2 inch of necessary motion for the
        fingers and string to clear each other. No creeping forward, no exploding
        fingers away from the string, just a clean sharp release. The way I know
        I have done this correctly is that my fingers never completely lose
        contact with my cheek, just lose a bit of pressure as i go back from the
        anchor point. I call this "stroking the cheek."

        The words, in general , From the Toxophilius are that a person watching
        the release sees very little and the archer feels next to nothing. This
        fits well with the fingers going backward at the same time the string
        goes forward in a combined distance of 1/2 inch.

        If your ability to aim is done well, adding the above to it will jump
        your scores and efficiency.

        Michael vanBergen

      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
          Random arrow speeds???

          Something few people consider. Are you using 'snap' nocks or 'speed' nocks??

          Snap nocks need pressure to push the back of the arrow onto the string with
          a slight click. Unless these particular type of nocks have been filed to
          grasp the string with the exact same pressure, one arrow will fly freely
          while the next will experience a 'braking' effect as the snap nock hangs on
          to the string a second longer than the others.

          I always suggest speed nocks (there's another name for them) as they will be
          more consistant in the point which they allow the arrow to leave the string.

          Everything else being consistant, this should eliminate some of the arrows
          dropping sooner than others.

          Brad

          Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Event differences/Seeking advice

          >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
          business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

          >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
          how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
          get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

          >Thanks as always for all the great advice!
          >Alestra

        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
            What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it is not
            so much a problem with the archer at all but with the equipment. I have
            had supposedly professionally made arrows which differed in weight as much
            as 150 grains between them, and 20 pounds spine weight. That can add a lot
            of randomness to shots. Especially at longer distances.

            Nest
            --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

            > Random arrow speeds???

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
              This is where getting your arrows from a reputable maker who states
              that his or her arrows are weight matched and hand spined shows up.

              Keep in mind that not everyone matches the arrows they sell. If
              they do not say that they are matched, you got exactly what you
              payed for. If you purchased them from F/S Archery in California,
              you got exactly what you payed for, but not what they advertise.

              Guy

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
              <eastarch@y...> wrote:
              > What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it
              >is not so much a problem with the archer at all but with the
              >equipment. I have had supposedly professionally made arrows which
              >differed in weight as much as 150 grains between them, and 20
              >pounds spine weight. That can add a lot of randomness to shots.
              >Especially at longer distances.
              >
              > Nest
            • Carl West
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                > ... I anchor my middle finger in
                > corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                > stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                > release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                > to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                > told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                > you don't pluck!

                I anchor similarly, forefinger behind upper canine, at the gum. String
                in the finger joints. Thumb and little finger touching. To release, I
                press the the hand against the face. This straightens the finger tips,
                away goes the arrow. No chance to pluck. Gotta keep the mustache trimmed
                though. Works better with stronger bows.

                -- Fritz

                Carl West
                mailto:carl.west@...
                http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
              • Sharon Macielinski
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Hi. Thanks for the comments.

                  Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows hit better, YES!

                  Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus the varied speeds!

                  And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.

                  I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20# recurve bow!

                  Wish me luck!
                  Alestra

                  John Rossignol <giguette@...> wrote:
                  Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                  >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                  Actually, timed shoots make a lot of sense, if you think historically.
                  Imagine the enemy charging your firing line, and they are going to
                  reach you in a few seconds unless you shoot them all...

                  As far as the 20/30/40-yard targets...well, you have to learn to walk
                  before you can run. Actually, one of the best things you can do as a
                  beginner is to not worry about aiming at a target at all, but just
                  practice your draw, anchor, and release.

                  >Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

                  If you are really only drawing 26 pounds, then the politest way I can
                  put this is to say that your instructor is not being very realistic.
                  Reaching the target is not the same thing as hitting it, and I have
                  seen a lot of arrows from weak bows simply bounce off the hay bales at
                  30 and 40 yards even when they did hit them. See my comments below your
                  bottom paragraph.

                  >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                  Aiming high above the target is tough, because you seldom have anything
                  handy up in the sky to use as an aiming point, and it's easy to lose
                  track of where the target is. What many archers do in this situation is
                  to use an anchor point on their chest or stomach -- a technique commonly
                  used in clout shooting. This allows them to sight over the tip of a
                  steeply-angled arrow without having to look way up into the sky.
                  Exactly how high to aim is something you will have to work out by trial
                  and error, since every bow and person is different.

                  If you are truly getting *random* arrow speeds, then I suspect that your
                  draw, anchor, and release are not as consistent as you think. A high
                  degree of consistency in these actions is the very foundation of good
                  archery, and generally takes years of practice to achieve. Even very
                  small variations can cause quite an effect on the flight of an arrow.

                  The only other random factors affecting arrow speed would be the wind,
                  and maybe disintegrating equipment (unlikely). A non-random factor
                  could be mismatched arrows, especially with differences in spine and/or
                  fletching. I say non-random because, if all other factors are uniform,
                  the same arrow should fly approximately the same every time you shoot
                  it. Unless the wind is gusting, though, the greatest source of
                  randomness is the archer.

                  >Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target?

                  You are entirely correct in thinking that higher arrow velocity should
                  increase your accuracy, and for two main reasons.

                  The first is that a faster arrow can reach a given target with a flatter
                  trajectory than can a slower arrow ( I assume that is what you mean by
                  "an arrow that flies straight"). The advantage here is that, as you
                  have noted, it makes aiming much easier -- no aiming up in the sky to
                  reach targets that are only 40 yards away.

                  The second is that a faster arrow will be less affected by wind. There
                  are three aspects of this. 1) Since the faster arrow will be in the air
                  for a shorter time before reaching the target, there is less time for
                  the prevailing wind to act upon it. 2) Since it will be in the air for
                  a shorter time, there is less chance that it will be affected by a
                  *change* in the wind that occurs while it is in flight. We can learn to
                  compensate for steady wind, but gusts and lulls are unpredictable. 3)
                  An arrow shot in a high arc is often exposed to wind of greater force
                  and different direction that the wind closer to the ground.

                  Except for the wind factor, I can't think of anything that would make a
                  faster arrow inherently more consistent than a slower one.
                  Inconsistency is almost always due to the archer.

                  When trying to get your arrows to fly faster, it is important to
                  remember that a heavier draw weight is only one contributing factor.
                  Another is the efficiency of the bow -- how fast it throws the arrow
                  per pound of draw weight. Some bow designs are more efficient than
                  others, and within any particular design some individual bows are more
                  efficient than others because of the materials and craftsmanship
                  involved. If you can, try some different types of bow. Some of the
                  recurved designs are not only more efficient than a longbow, but are
                  actually much easier to draw at the same poundage.

                  Another thing you can do is to use an anchor point which gives you a
                  longer draw length, i.e. to your cheek or your ear instead of your chin.
                  Traditional Japanese archers draw all the way to the shoulder. A
                  longer draw generally increases the effective draw weight of a bow.

                  Arrow weight also has an effect on arrow velocity, but it can be pro or
                  con according to distance and shooting conditions. The most important
                  thing, as far as weight, is that your arrows all be the same.

                  All this being said, it is still very important to not use a bow that is
                  too heavy for you *right now*. You can injure yourself, and you can
                  develop very bad form and habits. Most of us wish we could shoot
                  heavier bows, but we have to let reality be our guide. Your muscles
                  will gain strength fairly rapidly if you draw your bow a lot, but it
                  doesn't do to anticipate too much. The best rule of thumb that I have
                  heard for choosing a good draw weight is one posted on this list by
                  Carolus Eulenhorst, so I will quote him here: "As to poundage, the best
                  thing is to go to practice and try pulling different bows. Find a weight
                  you can just hold at full draw for ten seconds. if you can hold longer
                  the you will outgrow the bow quickly and if you can't hold that long the
                  bow is too heavy for you (overbowed)."

                  If you are serious about archery, please believe me that in the early
                  stages it is actually far more important for you to work on your draw,
                  anchor, and release than it is to hit 40-yard targets -- or any targets,
                  for that matter. And you should do it with a bow that you can draw
                  easily. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but it will really pay
                  off.

                  >It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                  Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

                  John

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Carolus Eulenhorst
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                    Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                    the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                    elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                    a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                    hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                    feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                    used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                    returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                    forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                    give a better draw.
                    Carolus

                    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                    <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                    > Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                    >
                    > Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                    > hit better, YES!
                    >
                    > Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                    > shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                    > couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                    > BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                    > height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                    > (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                    > get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                    > use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                    > roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                    > the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                    > bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                    > the varied speeds!
                    >
                    > And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                    >
                    > I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                    > be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                    > recurve bow!
                    >
                    > Wish me luck!
                    > Alestra
                    > PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                    > had same prob.

                    Get your name as your email address.
                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                      Greetings,
                      The common complaint about having the string slap on release has
                      been covered many times here, and many have gone into great detail
                      describing the rotation of a woman's arm as oppoesed to a man's,
                      yadayada......
                      One way that will cure this problem for good is to learn how to
                      hold the longbow the right way; it's the way I was taught back in the
                      days that rocks were still soft. As you grip the longbow, the second
                      knuckle down on the index finger should line up directly with the second
                      knuckle of the thumb, parallel to the path of the arrow shaft . You use
                      this as a way of pointing at the target...get used to this feeling. To
                      do this, you will not be completely straightening and locking your bow
                      arm and will always have a soft elbow joint (excellent for follow
                      through, kind of like having a completely natural built-in stabilizer
                      using only that which the good Lord gave you when you
                      were born ;-) ) Voila! No more bowstring slaps.
                      BTW I always wear a bracer anyway because nocks can break and
                      things can always happen. Better safe than sorry. I shoot a very heavy
                      draw weight bow, and it can hurt a whole lot with a light draw weight
                      bow.
                      My two pense,
                      -Geoffrei
                    • John Rossignol
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                        I hope Carolus' advice helps you out, Alestra. I'm sure his idea is
                        good, I'm just having a little trouble visualizing what he means about
                        the wrist.

                        By the way, you can buy a bracer that should cover the whole "danger
                        zone" of your bow arm. I bought one like that to lend people when I am
                        introducing them to archery. It is 13" long, black leather with what
                        feels like tough plastic rods sewn inside. It fastens with elastic and
                        velcro, and it bends at the elbow. It's not "period", of course, but it
                        is not obtrusive, and when your arm is getting massacred, who cares,
                        anyhow? I didn't get it at a "traditional archery" store -- there
                        aren't any right around where I live, and I needed this bracer in a
                        hurry. It was actually just a lucky find in amongst the ultra-modern
                        and camouflage stuff, but it has worked out pretty well. Unfortunately
                        I don't remember the brand name. And you know, there is no law against
                        padding the inside of your bracer, either (isn't that why sleeves were
                        invented?)

                        Of course, super-bracers and extra padding should only be stop-gap
                        measures, to use until you can solve the problem with good technique and
                        compatible equipment. But in the meantime -- hey, they can help you
                        have fun and shoot the bow without killing yourself.

                        That twisted limb on your bow is almost certainly causing some of your
                        problems. By the way, 7" is not all that high a brace height, and that
                        does make it easier to slap your arm with the string. My first bow has
                        a brace height just over 7" with the strings I used, and I got some
                        really terrific bruises before I got a decent bracer and, more
                        importantly, learned to hold my arm correctly. Of course, if you used a
                        shorter string to get a higher (and "safer") brace height, that would
                        shorten your power stroke, and you certainly don't want do that with
                        such a light bow.

                        And yes, Good Luck in your competition, but remember -- however it goes,
                        the object is always to Have Fun. I know we can lose sight of that
                        sometimes, but it should always be our goal. So if your equipment
                        really spoils this one for you, at least use it as an opportunity to lay
                        the foundation for Having Fun in the future: by getting some experience
                        with other bows. After a competition is over, the Range Marshal will
                        usually open the range for practice. If there are archers there with
                        bows in your general strength range, ask if you can try shooting them.
                        Most archers I have met are very generous about this. See if other
                        bows give you the same problems as your bow. Compare the feel of
                        different bows as you draw and release, and try to find what might be a
                        better draw weight for you. You might also find a particular design or
                        brand that you especially like.

                        Good luck. I hope some of that helps.

                        John

                        Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

                        >Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                        >the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                        >elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                        >a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                        >hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                        >feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                        >used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                        >returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                        >forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                        >give a better draw.
                        >Carolus
                        >
                        >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                        ><ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                        >

                        >>Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                        >>
                        >>Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                        >>hit better, YES!
                        >>
                        >>Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                        >>shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                        >>couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                        >>BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                        >>height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                        >>(I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                        >>get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                        >>use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                        >>roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                        >>the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                        >>bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                        >>the varied speeds!
                        >>
                        >>And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                        >>
                        >>I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                        >>be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                        >>recurve bow!
                        >>
                        >>Wish me luck!
                        >>Alestra
                        >>PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                        >>had same prob.

                      • Carolus Eulenhorst
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                          It is what is referred to as a high wrist position. A low wrist position
                          has the hand vertical with the bow resting heavily on the fleshy part of
                          the hand below the thumb. Many people use this position, especially with
                          long bow. The high wrist moves the bow to the web of the thumb removing
                          much of the pressure from the hand. It makes the bow "float" in the
                          grip, eliminates much tendency to torque it, and lets the arm shift
                          slightly out of the path of the string. If you hold your arm out and
                          pronate the elbow (the first step I mentioned) you will find your hand
                          naturally tends to take a position where the palm is parallel with the
                          ground. This is too high. Rotate the little finger back down to a
                          comfortable position (45 to 60 degrees down) without changing the elbow
                          position and everything should drop into place.

                          I have a virtually identical bracer. It was made by Saunders. There are
                          others out there, too.
                          Carolus

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                            Oh, yes, thanks. I think I see what you mean.

                            John

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                              A low poundage(under 50LB) wood longbow is the hardest bow to shoot well. It
                              bits, kicks, and turns weak if held too long. It will be extremly fustrating
                              to get it to shoot well but if you can master it all other bows will be easy
                              to shoot by comparison. Being that it is a selfwood/laminated wood bow and
                              that you are "not drawing to a consistent bend" that is the two main causes
                              for varying arrows speeds. Have fun shooting. The people who know bows will
                              know how hard you are working to get your bow to shoot.

                              James Cunningham

                              P.S. Get a bracer big enough to protect your arm.
                              The twist in the limb is not a big thing in a longbow... in a recurve...
                              could be.