Re: [SCA-Archery] Event differences/Seeking advice

  • Russ Sheldon
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      Greetings,
      A couple of things to remember.
      1) Without some kind of trigger release ( ie using just your hand ) everyone
      will pluck the string sometime. Even the best archer. Period.
      2) There are more than one release method , static, active and what I call
      open release. All have there pro's and con's and none of them are the be all
      and end all of shooting. Use the one your most comfortable with.
      Static is where you anchor your hand and just release your fingers.
      I find that errors in your release using a static release can be magnified
      by a lighter poundage bow. Also hard to get a nice fast release with the
      string without a lot of practice. If you master this release though you will
      get very good scores for all ranges of archery.
      Active release requires you to anchor your hand and then pull and
      release the string. I find that you get faster release with the string but
      it is hard to get a consistent speed with the release for longer yardage
      shots. Also easier to pluck using this method.
      Open release ( may have other names ) has your hand follow the
      release of the string for a few inches. Very hard to do right unless your
      using really high poundage bows. Your hand just gets in the way and slows
      down the release.
      3) Be it a glove, finger tab, or just your fingers all must be inspected to
      help better your release. A beat up grubby glove or finger tab can cause
      your string to hang or not roll right on your release. These need to be
      replaced when they begin to get worn. Trouble is they always seem to die
      just as they get broken in just right. Sigh! As for your fingers, calluses
      that will form may help protect your fingers from blisters but they may also
      cause areas on your fingers to catch the string. You may have to smooth or
      scrape these down periodically.
      4) Do not expect to be shooting consistently for at least 4 to 6 months with
      regular practice, some people are faster. Your muscles need to develop a
      memory and I usually find that it takes some people that long for everything
      to click. On a 60cm target I usually tell my students to be quite happy to
      get all there arrows on the paper first. Also its better to get a nice tight
      grouping even off the page consistently than have your arrows looking like
      they were shot all over the place with a few in well scoring locations on
      the target. The person with the tight group can eventually be taught to
      change his aiming point and move the group onto the target thus netting
      him/her a very nice score.

      Lastly remember in all of this to Have fun.

      Hope this helps.

      Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
        that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
        and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
        am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
        target accurately.

        First befor I give any advice I need to know more about your current skill
        level. Like how long have you been shooting, how many arrows a week you
        shoot for practice, have you switched from other forms of archery? How did
        you findout you had random arrow speed? Is your longbow a fiberglass
        American longbow or a selfwood bow?

        I to do not undersand the comment that a crossbow has the same advantage as
        a higher poundage bow. It only takes a 60-70lb crossbow to equal the "arc"
        of a 25-30 lb longbow. The crossbow has the same dis-advantage of having to
        figure out the "arc". The advantage is that a crossbow has the exact same
        release every time. Yes a higher poundage crossbow(just like a high
        poundage longbow) will have less of an "arc" to a set distance than a lower
        poundage bow, but it still has an "arc".

        James Cunningham

        > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
        how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
        get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

        > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
        poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent
        than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have
        no advantage! Hmmmmm....
      • Mike Hornbaker
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
          I might suggest there is a 4th method of release. I learned this when
          learning the longbow, read in a book, and also found corroboration in
          the Toxophilius. Once at your anchor point, yourelax the fingers just
          ENOUGH so that the pressure on the string bumps the fingers out of its
          way at the same time the hand goes back a little farther along the same
          line. That extra motion is about 1/2 inch of necessary motion for the
          fingers and string to clear each other. No creeping forward, no exploding
          fingers away from the string, just a clean sharp release. The way I know
          I have done this correctly is that my fingers never completely lose
          contact with my cheek, just lose a bit of pressure as i go back from the
          anchor point. I call this "stroking the cheek."

          The words, in general , From the Toxophilius are that a person watching
          the release sees very little and the archer feels next to nothing. This
          fits well with the fingers going backward at the same time the string
          goes forward in a combined distance of 1/2 inch.

          If your ability to aim is done well, adding the above to it will jump
          your scores and efficiency.

          Michael vanBergen

        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
            Random arrow speeds???

            Something few people consider. Are you using 'snap' nocks or 'speed' nocks??

            Snap nocks need pressure to push the back of the arrow onto the string with
            a slight click. Unless these particular type of nocks have been filed to
            grasp the string with the exact same pressure, one arrow will fly freely
            while the next will experience a 'braking' effect as the snap nock hangs on
            to the string a second longer than the others.

            I always suggest speed nocks (there's another name for them) as they will be
            more consistant in the point which they allow the arrow to leave the string.

            Everything else being consistant, this should eliminate some of the arrows
            dropping sooner than others.

            Brad

            >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
            business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

            >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
            how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
            get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

            >Thanks as always for all the great advice!
            >Alestra

          • Nest verch Tangwistel
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
              What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it is not
              so much a problem with the archer at all but with the equipment. I have
              had supposedly professionally made arrows which differed in weight as much
              as 150 grains between them, and 20 pounds spine weight. That can add a lot
              of randomness to shots. Especially at longer distances.

              Nest
              --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

              > Random arrow speeds???

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Guy Taylor
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                This is where getting your arrows from a reputable maker who states
                that his or her arrows are weight matched and hand spined shows up.

                Keep in mind that not everyone matches the arrows they sell. If
                they do not say that they are matched, you got exactly what you
                payed for. If you purchased them from F/S Archery in California,
                you got exactly what you payed for, but not what they advertise.

                Guy

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                <eastarch@y...> wrote:
                > What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it
                >is not so much a problem with the archer at all but with the
                >equipment. I have had supposedly professionally made arrows which
                >differed in weight as much as 150 grains between them, and 20
                >pounds spine weight. That can add a lot of randomness to shots.
                >Especially at longer distances.
                >
                > Nest
              • Carl West
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                  > ... I anchor my middle finger in
                  > corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                  > stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                  > release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                  > to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                  > told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                  > you don't pluck!

                  I anchor similarly, forefinger behind upper canine, at the gum. String
                  in the finger joints. Thumb and little finger touching. To release, I
                  press the the hand against the face. This straightens the finger tips,
                  away goes the arrow. No chance to pluck. Gotta keep the mustache trimmed
                  though. Works better with stronger bows.

                  -- Fritz

                  Carl West
                  mailto:carl.west@...
                  http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
                • Sharon Macielinski
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Hi. Thanks for the comments.

                    Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows hit better, YES!

                    Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus the varied speeds!

                    And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.

                    I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20# recurve bow!

                    Wish me luck!
                    Alestra

                    John Rossignol <giguette@...> wrote:
                    Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                    >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                    Actually, timed shoots make a lot of sense, if you think historically.
                    Imagine the enemy charging your firing line, and they are going to
                    reach you in a few seconds unless you shoot them all...

                    As far as the 20/30/40-yard targets...well, you have to learn to walk
                    before you can run. Actually, one of the best things you can do as a
                    beginner is to not worry about aiming at a target at all, but just
                    practice your draw, anchor, and release.

                    >Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

                    If you are really only drawing 26 pounds, then the politest way I can
                    put this is to say that your instructor is not being very realistic.
                    Reaching the target is not the same thing as hitting it, and I have
                    seen a lot of arrows from weak bows simply bounce off the hay bales at
                    30 and 40 yards even when they did hit them. See my comments below your
                    bottom paragraph.

                    >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                    Aiming high above the target is tough, because you seldom have anything
                    handy up in the sky to use as an aiming point, and it's easy to lose
                    track of where the target is. What many archers do in this situation is
                    to use an anchor point on their chest or stomach -- a technique commonly
                    used in clout shooting. This allows them to sight over the tip of a
                    steeply-angled arrow without having to look way up into the sky.
                    Exactly how high to aim is something you will have to work out by trial
                    and error, since every bow and person is different.

                    If you are truly getting *random* arrow speeds, then I suspect that your
                    draw, anchor, and release are not as consistent as you think. A high
                    degree of consistency in these actions is the very foundation of good
                    archery, and generally takes years of practice to achieve. Even very
                    small variations can cause quite an effect on the flight of an arrow.

                    The only other random factors affecting arrow speed would be the wind,
                    and maybe disintegrating equipment (unlikely). A non-random factor
                    could be mismatched arrows, especially with differences in spine and/or
                    fletching. I say non-random because, if all other factors are uniform,
                    the same arrow should fly approximately the same every time you shoot
                    it. Unless the wind is gusting, though, the greatest source of
                    randomness is the archer.

                    >Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target?

                    You are entirely correct in thinking that higher arrow velocity should
                    increase your accuracy, and for two main reasons.

                    The first is that a faster arrow can reach a given target with a flatter
                    trajectory than can a slower arrow ( I assume that is what you mean by
                    "an arrow that flies straight"). The advantage here is that, as you
                    have noted, it makes aiming much easier -- no aiming up in the sky to
                    reach targets that are only 40 yards away.

                    The second is that a faster arrow will be less affected by wind. There
                    are three aspects of this. 1) Since the faster arrow will be in the air
                    for a shorter time before reaching the target, there is less time for
                    the prevailing wind to act upon it. 2) Since it will be in the air for
                    a shorter time, there is less chance that it will be affected by a
                    *change* in the wind that occurs while it is in flight. We can learn to
                    compensate for steady wind, but gusts and lulls are unpredictable. 3)
                    An arrow shot in a high arc is often exposed to wind of greater force
                    and different direction that the wind closer to the ground.

                    Except for the wind factor, I can't think of anything that would make a
                    faster arrow inherently more consistent than a slower one.
                    Inconsistency is almost always due to the archer.

                    When trying to get your arrows to fly faster, it is important to
                    remember that a heavier draw weight is only one contributing factor.
                    Another is the efficiency of the bow -- how fast it throws the arrow
                    per pound of draw weight. Some bow designs are more efficient than
                    others, and within any particular design some individual bows are more
                    efficient than others because of the materials and craftsmanship
                    involved. If you can, try some different types of bow. Some of the
                    recurved designs are not only more efficient than a longbow, but are
                    actually much easier to draw at the same poundage.

                    Another thing you can do is to use an anchor point which gives you a
                    longer draw length, i.e. to your cheek or your ear instead of your chin.
                    Traditional Japanese archers draw all the way to the shoulder. A
                    longer draw generally increases the effective draw weight of a bow.

                    Arrow weight also has an effect on arrow velocity, but it can be pro or
                    con according to distance and shooting conditions. The most important
                    thing, as far as weight, is that your arrows all be the same.

                    All this being said, it is still very important to not use a bow that is
                    too heavy for you *right now*. You can injure yourself, and you can
                    develop very bad form and habits. Most of us wish we could shoot
                    heavier bows, but we have to let reality be our guide. Your muscles
                    will gain strength fairly rapidly if you draw your bow a lot, but it
                    doesn't do to anticipate too much. The best rule of thumb that I have
                    heard for choosing a good draw weight is one posted on this list by
                    Carolus Eulenhorst, so I will quote him here: "As to poundage, the best
                    thing is to go to practice and try pulling different bows. Find a weight
                    you can just hold at full draw for ten seconds. if you can hold longer
                    the you will outgrow the bow quickly and if you can't hold that long the
                    bow is too heavy for you (overbowed)."

                    If you are serious about archery, please believe me that in the early
                    stages it is actually far more important for you to work on your draw,
                    anchor, and release than it is to hit 40-yard targets -- or any targets,
                    for that matter. And you should do it with a bow that you can draw
                    easily. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but it will really pay
                    off.

                    >It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                    Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

                    John

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Carolus Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                      Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                      the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                      elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                      a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                      hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                      feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                      used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                      returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                      forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                      give a better draw.
                      Carolus

                      On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                      <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                      > Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                      >
                      > Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                      > hit better, YES!
                      >
                      > Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                      > shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                      > couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                      > BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                      > height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                      > (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                      > get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                      > use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                      > roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                      > the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                      > bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                      > the varied speeds!
                      >
                      > And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                      >
                      > I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                      > be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                      > recurve bow!
                      >
                      > Wish me luck!
                      > Alestra
                      > PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                      > had same prob.

                      Get your name as your email address.
                    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                        Greetings,
                        The common complaint about having the string slap on release has
                        been covered many times here, and many have gone into great detail
                        describing the rotation of a woman's arm as oppoesed to a man's,
                        yadayada......
                        One way that will cure this problem for good is to learn how to
                        hold the longbow the right way; it's the way I was taught back in the
                        days that rocks were still soft. As you grip the longbow, the second
                        knuckle down on the index finger should line up directly with the second
                        knuckle of the thumb, parallel to the path of the arrow shaft . You use
                        this as a way of pointing at the target...get used to this feeling. To
                        do this, you will not be completely straightening and locking your bow
                        arm and will always have a soft elbow joint (excellent for follow
                        through, kind of like having a completely natural built-in stabilizer
                        using only that which the good Lord gave you when you
                        were born ;-) ) Voila! No more bowstring slaps.
                        BTW I always wear a bracer anyway because nocks can break and
                        things can always happen. Better safe than sorry. I shoot a very heavy
                        draw weight bow, and it can hurt a whole lot with a light draw weight
                        bow.
                        My two pense,
                        -Geoffrei
                      • John Rossignol
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                          I hope Carolus' advice helps you out, Alestra. I'm sure his idea is
                          good, I'm just having a little trouble visualizing what he means about
                          the wrist.

                          By the way, you can buy a bracer that should cover the whole "danger
                          zone" of your bow arm. I bought one like that to lend people when I am
                          introducing them to archery. It is 13" long, black leather with what
                          feels like tough plastic rods sewn inside. It fastens with elastic and
                          velcro, and it bends at the elbow. It's not "period", of course, but it
                          is not obtrusive, and when your arm is getting massacred, who cares,
                          anyhow? I didn't get it at a "traditional archery" store -- there
                          aren't any right around where I live, and I needed this bracer in a
                          hurry. It was actually just a lucky find in amongst the ultra-modern
                          and camouflage stuff, but it has worked out pretty well. Unfortunately
                          I don't remember the brand name. And you know, there is no law against
                          padding the inside of your bracer, either (isn't that why sleeves were
                          invented?)

                          Of course, super-bracers and extra padding should only be stop-gap
                          measures, to use until you can solve the problem with good technique and
                          compatible equipment. But in the meantime -- hey, they can help you
                          have fun and shoot the bow without killing yourself.

                          That twisted limb on your bow is almost certainly causing some of your
                          problems. By the way, 7" is not all that high a brace height, and that
                          does make it easier to slap your arm with the string. My first bow has
                          a brace height just over 7" with the strings I used, and I got some
                          really terrific bruises before I got a decent bracer and, more
                          importantly, learned to hold my arm correctly. Of course, if you used a
                          shorter string to get a higher (and "safer") brace height, that would
                          shorten your power stroke, and you certainly don't want do that with
                          such a light bow.

                          And yes, Good Luck in your competition, but remember -- however it goes,
                          the object is always to Have Fun. I know we can lose sight of that
                          sometimes, but it should always be our goal. So if your equipment
                          really spoils this one for you, at least use it as an opportunity to lay
                          the foundation for Having Fun in the future: by getting some experience
                          with other bows. After a competition is over, the Range Marshal will
                          usually open the range for practice. If there are archers there with
                          bows in your general strength range, ask if you can try shooting them.
                          Most archers I have met are very generous about this. See if other
                          bows give you the same problems as your bow. Compare the feel of
                          different bows as you draw and release, and try to find what might be a
                          better draw weight for you. You might also find a particular design or
                          brand that you especially like.

                          Good luck. I hope some of that helps.

                          John

                          Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

                          >Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                          >the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                          >elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                          >a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                          >hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                          >feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                          >used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                          >returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                          >forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                          >give a better draw.
                          >Carolus
                          >
                          >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                          ><ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                          >

                          >>Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                          >>
                          >>Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                          >>hit better, YES!
                          >>
                          >>Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                          >>shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                          >>couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                          >>BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                          >>height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                          >>(I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                          >>get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                          >>use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                          >>roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                          >>the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                          >>bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                          >>the varied speeds!
                          >>
                          >>And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                          >>
                          >>I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                          >>be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                          >>recurve bow!
                          >>
                          >>Wish me luck!
                          >>Alestra
                          >>PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                          >>had same prob.

                        • Carolus Eulenhorst
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                            It is what is referred to as a high wrist position. A low wrist position
                            has the hand vertical with the bow resting heavily on the fleshy part of
                            the hand below the thumb. Many people use this position, especially with
                            long bow. The high wrist moves the bow to the web of the thumb removing
                            much of the pressure from the hand. It makes the bow "float" in the
                            grip, eliminates much tendency to torque it, and lets the arm shift
                            slightly out of the path of the string. If you hold your arm out and
                            pronate the elbow (the first step I mentioned) you will find your hand
                            naturally tends to take a position where the palm is parallel with the
                            ground. This is too high. Rotate the little finger back down to a
                            comfortable position (45 to 60 degrees down) without changing the elbow
                            position and everything should drop into place.

                            I have a virtually identical bracer. It was made by Saunders. There are
                            others out there, too.
                            Carolus

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                              Oh, yes, thanks. I think I see what you mean.

                              John

                              Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

                              >It is what is referred to as a high wrist position. A low wrist position
                              >has the hand vertical with the bow resting heavily on the fleshy part of
                              >the hand below the thumb. Many people use this position, especially with
                              >long bow. The high wrist moves the bow to the web of the thumb removing
                              >much of the pressure from the hand. It makes the bow "float" in the
                              >grip, eliminates much tendency to torque it, and lets the arm shift
                              >slightly out of the path of the string. If you hold your arm out and
                              >pronate the elbow (the first step I mentioned) you will find your hand
                              >naturally tends to take a position where the palm is parallel with the
                              >ground. This is too high. Rotate the little finger back down to a
                              >comfortable position (45 to 60 degrees down) without changing the elbow
                              >position and everything should drop into place.

                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                A low poundage(under 50LB) wood longbow is the hardest bow to shoot well. It
                                bits, kicks, and turns weak if held too long. It will be extremly fustrating
                                to get it to shoot well but if you can master it all other bows will be easy
                                to shoot by comparison. Being that it is a selfwood/laminated wood bow and
                                that you are "not drawing to a consistent bend" that is the two main causes
                                for varying arrows speeds. Have fun shooting. The people who know bows will
                                know how hard you are working to get your bow to shoot.

                                James Cunningham

                                P.S. Get a bracer big enough to protect your arm.
                                The twist in the limb is not a big thing in a longbow... in a recurve...
                                could be.