Re: [SCA-Archery] Event differences/Seeking advice

  • Sharon Macielinski
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

      Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

      My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

      Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

      Thanks as always for all the great advice!
      Alestra

      longbow <scalongbow@...> wrote:
      The number of "Woods Walk" type shoots in AEthelmarc has led to a drop
      in the
      number of people participating in the Royal round shoots. One event that
      has 5 such
      walks is Will's Revenge that is held in Central PA in early May. It's
      the first such
      during the year. Very well attended. And very challenging. Lots of
      "moving" targets as well.

      Master Gwilym

      > From: "J. Hughes"
      >Subject: Re: SCA Archery Coaching
      >
      >Actually, a "woods walk" is a standard thing for many
      >archery championships. Both the champion shoot for the
      >war point and the champion shoot for the Youth archery
      >at Pennsic had wood walks that presented targets in
      >the settings of hunting. I have also seen a number of
      >times creative use of moving targets on such shoots.
      >
      >Charles O'Connor
      >--- Sharon Macielinski
      > wrote:
      > I have not
      >

      >>heard any kind of mock hunting trial... Depends on
      >>the kingdom/area? Enlightenments?
      >>
      >>Best wishes,
      >>Alestra (K of Atlantia)

      >Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!
      >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        Sure, a higher poundage will get a flatter trajectory. But it will make
        it harder to learn good form and your 26 should work just fine at these
        short distances. I had a gal with a 25 # bow dropping nearly on the pin
        of a 90 yard clout! So, what's next? Your release. We really haven't
        gotten into releases here yet so this is kind of new territory. Let's
        see if I can get this across.

        First off, some basics. The power for your draw comes from your back,
        not your arms or shoulders. In fact, the muscles of your arms should be
        slightly relaxed even at full draw. You want this tension in your back
        to continue through your release and into the follow through. This gives
        what is called an active release as opposed to a dead release.

        A dead release is one in which the archer pulls to his anchor point,
        stops and simply opens his fingers. It's good, steady and doesn't
        introduce errors to the arrow. But it robs his shot of power. Once the
        archer stops pulling the bow begins to lose energy and the longer he
        waits the slower his shot (the less cast it has). This means that more
        arc is needed to get downrange. On the other hand, an active release is
        one in which the archer prepares his shot in advance, draws to where his
        site picture is where he expects it to be as he reaches his anchor (yes
        even instinctive archers have site pictures, they just have them so
        ingrained that they are conscious of them), hesitates for an instant to
        be sure everything is right, and pulls through, relaxing his fingers on
        the way getting a fast, efficient release. The archer's hand ends up
        behind his anchor during follow through. For example, my anchor is under
        my chin with the string touching my nose, both lips, and the center of my
        chin. My thumb is resting under and against my jaw. As I release, ma
        hand continues back and ends up under my ear. That is, if I do it right.
        This is the active release.

        Using this release I was able to get flat shots from a 33# bow at 60
        yards. One of the tricks here is to never, never let your back relax
        once your start drawing until you complete your follow through. You will
        also want to powder your string fingers. I like a mix of 50/50 baby
        powder and corn starch. Rub it into your string hand before putting on
        your glove or tab, then powder your glove or tab as well. Keep
        reapplying until the leather is well saturated.

        This will give you an impressive increase in arrow speed and accuracy.
        Carolus

        On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:07:17 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
        <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
        > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
        > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!
        >
        > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to
        > tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no
        > problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing
        > because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure
        > out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.
        >
        > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is
        > figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good
        > anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?
        >
        > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
        > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
        > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's
        > like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
        >
        > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
        > Alestra

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • John Rossignol
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
          Sharon Macielinski wrote:

          >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

          Actually, timed shoots make a lot of sense, if you think historically.
          Imagine the enemy charging your firing line, and they are going to
          reach you in a few seconds unless you shoot them all...

          As far as the 20/30/40-yard targets...well, you have to learn to walk
          before you can run. Actually, one of the best things you can do as a
          beginner is to not worry about aiming at a target at all, but just
          practice your draw, anchor, and release.

          >Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

          If you are really only drawing 26 pounds, then the politest way I can
          put this is to say that your instructor is not being very realistic.
          Reaching the target is not the same thing as hitting it, and I have
          seen a lot of arrows from weak bows simply bounce off the hay bales at
          30 and 40 yards even when they did hit them. See my comments below your
          bottom paragraph.

          >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

          Aiming high above the target is tough, because you seldom have anything
          handy up in the sky to use as an aiming point, and it's easy to lose
          track of where the target is. What many archers do in this situation is
          to use an anchor point on their chest or stomach -- a technique commonly
          used in clout shooting. This allows them to sight over the tip of a
          steeply-angled arrow without having to look way up into the sky.
          Exactly how high to aim is something you will have to work out by trial
          and error, since every bow and person is different.

          If you are truly getting *random* arrow speeds, then I suspect that your
          draw, anchor, and release are not as consistent as you think. A high
          degree of consistency in these actions is the very foundation of good
          archery, and generally takes years of practice to achieve. Even very
          small variations can cause quite an effect on the flight of an arrow.

          The only other random factors affecting arrow speed would be the wind,
          and maybe disintegrating equipment (unlikely). A non-random factor
          could be mismatched arrows, especially with differences in spine and/or
          fletching. I say non-random because, if all other factors are uniform,
          the same arrow should fly approximately the same every time you shoot
          it. Unless the wind is gusting, though, the greatest source of
          randomness is the archer.

          >Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target?

          You are entirely correct in thinking that higher arrow velocity should
          increase your accuracy, and for two main reasons.

          The first is that a faster arrow can reach a given target with a flatter
          trajectory than can a slower arrow ( I assume that is what you mean by
          "an arrow that flies straight"). The advantage here is that, as you
          have noted, it makes aiming much easier -- no aiming up in the sky to
          reach targets that are only 40 yards away.

          The second is that a faster arrow will be less affected by wind. There
          are three aspects of this. 1) Since the faster arrow will be in the air
          for a shorter time before reaching the target, there is less time for
          the prevailing wind to act upon it. 2) Since it will be in the air for
          a shorter time, there is less chance that it will be affected by a
          *change* in the wind that occurs while it is in flight. We can learn to
          compensate for steady wind, but gusts and lulls are unpredictable. 3)
          An arrow shot in a high arc is often exposed to wind of greater force
          and different direction that the wind closer to the ground.

          Except for the wind factor, I can't think of anything that would make a
          faster arrow inherently more consistent than a slower one.
          Inconsistency is almost always due to the archer.

          When trying to get your arrows to fly faster, it is important to
          remember that a heavier draw weight is only one contributing factor.
          Another is the efficiency of the bow -- how fast it throws the arrow
          per pound of draw weight. Some bow designs are more efficient than
          others, and within any particular design some individual bows are more
          efficient than others because of the materials and craftsmanship
          involved. If you can, try some different types of bow. Some of the
          recurved designs are not only more efficient than a longbow, but are
          actually much easier to draw at the same poundage.

          Another thing you can do is to use an anchor point which gives you a
          longer draw length, i.e. to your cheek or your ear instead of your chin.
          Traditional Japanese archers draw all the way to the shoulder. A
          longer draw generally increases the effective draw weight of a bow.

          Arrow weight also has an effect on arrow velocity, but it can be pro or
          con according to distance and shooting conditions. The most important
          thing, as far as weight, is that your arrows all be the same.

          All this being said, it is still very important to not use a bow that is
          too heavy for you *right now*. You can injure yourself, and you can
          develop very bad form and habits. Most of us wish we could shoot
          heavier bows, but we have to let reality be our guide. Your muscles
          will gain strength fairly rapidly if you draw your bow a lot, but it
          doesn't do to anticipate too much. The best rule of thumb that I have
          heard for choosing a good draw weight is one posted on this list by
          Carolus Eulenhorst, so I will quote him here: "As to poundage, the best
          thing is to go to practice and try pulling different bows. Find a weight
          you can just hold at full draw for ten seconds. if you can hold longer
          the you will outgrow the bow quickly and if you can't hold that long the
          bow is too heavy for you (overbowed)."

          If you are serious about archery, please believe me that in the early
          stages it is actually far more important for you to work on your draw,
          anchor, and release than it is to hit 40-yard targets -- or any targets,
          for that matter. And you should do it with a bow that you can draw
          easily. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but it will really pay
          off.

          >It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

          Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

          John
        • Dan Scheid
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
            > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
            that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
            and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
            am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
            target accurately.
            > > Alestra

            he is right after watching the Olympics with them shooting 40# Bow at 70
            meters . your 35 should hit. But I use a 60# never could work the arch thing
            Damales
          • Scott Jaqua
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
              There is no reason that a 26lb bow should not be able to hit and stick
              into a target at 40 yards. (unless your target is unreasonably dense). I
              had a 22lb bow that I used to lend out to left handed students and it
              did the job just fine.

              First off heed your coach and the majority here. Don't go to a heavy bow
              yet. This is a great time to practice consistent form. Wait until you
              are consistent with this bow before you add more weight to the equation.

              Others have spoken of your anchor and release. And these are key to
              getting the maximum consistent level of energy out of your bow.

              However, as distance increases, there is another element of your form
              that gains in importance. And that is follow through. A minor follow
              through error a short distance is greatly magnified as the distance
              increases. In short you need the bow to remain a steady launch platform
              until the arrow clears the rest. If the arrow rest falls away from the
              arrow too quickly, then the arrow will fall of as well.

              The best thing you can do is slightly exaggerate the follow through.
              Hold your form for a few seconds after the release before you relax.
              This is one case of too much is better then not enough.

              And on a final note: lack of a proper follow through is perhaps the
              number one error I see in even the most experienced SCA archers. (that
              and a nasty pluck on release that I have (been working on it for 26
              years, still it comes back after any lay off between practices))

              Njall
            • Nest verch Tangwistel
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                Why don't the timed ends make sense?

                > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell
                > me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems
                > hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a
                > heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in
                > order to hit the target accurately.

                The loaner equipment I use is between 17 and 25 pounds. The only problem I
                have seen is with the really light bows. The arrow hits the ceiling in out
                indoor range before you can get enough arc in the trajectory to reach the
                target. But my daughter shot the 100 yard clout with a 20 pound bow at
                Pennsic one year. She got all the arrows wither in the clout or the front
                wall. so it can be done.

                > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring
                > out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor
                > point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                I have to agree with others one this one. It sounds like you are loosing
                critical energy in some of your shots by collapsing. A good follow through
                may be the answer to your problems. It was taught to me that you should
                never completely come to a halt when getting to your anchor point. Go back
                to the anchor fairly quickly, then slowly continue pulling until you are
                ready to execute the shot. That way your arrow hand should continue moving
                back towards your shoulder after you have released. If your hand sometimes
                moves back towards the bow as you release you loose a great deal of speed.

                > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
                > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like
                > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does help with shooting at
                unknown distances. The difference between elevation at fairly similar
                distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect on your distance
                estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I echo the worry about
                going to strong before getting your form down pat.

                > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                > Alestra

                Good luck and keep on shooting.

                Nest

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                  > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                  Why don't the timed ends make sense?

                  > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell
                  > me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems
                  > hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a
                  > heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in
                  > order to hit the target accurately.

                  The loaner equipment I use is between 17 and 25 pounds. The only problem I
                  have seen is with the really light bows. The arrow hits the ceiling in out
                  indoor range before you can get enough arc in the trajectory to reach the
                  target. But my daughter shot the 100 yard clout with a 20 pound bow at
                  Pennsic one year. She got all the arrows wither in the clout or the front
                  wall. so it can be done.

                  > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring
                  > out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor
                  > point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                  I have to agree with others one this one. It sounds like you are loosing
                  critical energy in some of your shots by collapsing. A good follow through
                  may be the answer to your problems. It was taught to me that you should
                  never completely come to a halt when getting to your anchor point. Go back
                  to the anchor fairly quickly, then slowly continue pulling until you are
                  ready to execute the shot. That way your arrow hand should continue moving
                  back towards your shoulder after you have released. If your hand sometimes
                  moves back towards the bow as you release you loose a great deal of speed.

                  > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                  > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
                  > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like
                  > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                  The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does help with shooting at
                  unknown distances. The difference between elevation at fairly similar
                  distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect on your distance
                  estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I echo the worry about
                  going to strong before getting your form down pat.

                  > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                  > Alestra

                  Good luck and keep on shooting.

                  Nest

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                • Sharon Macielinski
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Thanks for the info! Maybe I just hadn't been taught
                    this type of release yet? I will have to ask... I was
                    so happy that I stopped plucking! When I stopped
                    plucking I was able to get so much more accurate at
                    10-20 yard ranges. I anchor my middle finger in
                    corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                    stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                    release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                    to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                    told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                    you don't pluck!

                    I will try a faster release this afternoon, although I
                    can only shoot at a 10-15 yard distance here... I
                    should be able to tell if the arrows are flying faster
                    though by how far they get stuck in the target! :)

                    Thanks again... I like the baby powder cornstarch idea
                    too.

                    Cheers,
                    Alestra

                    --- Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to
                    > hit a target? It's like
                    > > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                    >
                    > The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does
                    > help with shooting at
                    > unknown distances. The difference between elevation
                    > at fairly similar
                    > distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect
                    > on your distance
                    > estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I
                    > echo the worry about
                    > going to strong before getting your form down pat.
                    >

                    > > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                    > > Alestra
                    >
                    > Good luck and keep on shooting.
                    >
                    > Nest

                    > Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter
                    > now.
                    > http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

                    > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by

                  • Chad Wilson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Macielinski
                      <ariel_elronds_daughter@y...> wrote:
                      > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the
                      20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                      > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to
                      tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no
                      problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because
                      I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out
                      the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

                      You need a way of gaining more arrow speed.

                      One way is to decrease the overall weight of your arrows while still
                      designing to fly in a balanced way. All of my bolts and arrows are
                      untreated. I stopped putting finishing seal on them and it produced
                      some much lighter arrows. You could go as far as buying 100 shafts
                      and then weight them all after cutting them down to use only the
                      lightest of the bunch, without sacrificing spine weight.

                      Another way is to increase the power stroke. The power stroke is the
                      part of the shooting process where the bow's string is pushing on the
                      arrow. With your shorter draw, you are sacrificing much of your
                      power stroke.

                      I wonder if you switched to a lighter longbow so you can pull a
                      longer arrow would help. As strange as it sounds, you could in
                      theory shoot a 25# longbow using longer arrows and have it shoot
                      faster than your 35# longbow with a shorter draw.

                      When I shoot a handbow, my arrows are 29". And I use all 29" of the
                      arrow.

                      -Caedmon
                    • Russ Sheldon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                        Greetings,
                        A couple of things to remember.
                        1) Without some kind of trigger release ( ie using just your hand ) everyone
                        will pluck the string sometime. Even the best archer. Period.
                        2) There are more than one release method , static, active and what I call
                        open release. All have there pro's and con's and none of them are the be all
                        and end all of shooting. Use the one your most comfortable with.
                        Static is where you anchor your hand and just release your fingers.
                        I find that errors in your release using a static release can be magnified
                        by a lighter poundage bow. Also hard to get a nice fast release with the
                        string without a lot of practice. If you master this release though you will
                        get very good scores for all ranges of archery.
                        Active release requires you to anchor your hand and then pull and
                        release the string. I find that you get faster release with the string but
                        it is hard to get a consistent speed with the release for longer yardage
                        shots. Also easier to pluck using this method.
                        Open release ( may have other names ) has your hand follow the
                        release of the string for a few inches. Very hard to do right unless your
                        using really high poundage bows. Your hand just gets in the way and slows
                        down the release.
                        3) Be it a glove, finger tab, or just your fingers all must be inspected to
                        help better your release. A beat up grubby glove or finger tab can cause
                        your string to hang or not roll right on your release. These need to be
                        replaced when they begin to get worn. Trouble is they always seem to die
                        just as they get broken in just right. Sigh! As for your fingers, calluses
                        that will form may help protect your fingers from blisters but they may also
                        cause areas on your fingers to catch the string. You may have to smooth or
                        scrape these down periodically.
                        4) Do not expect to be shooting consistently for at least 4 to 6 months with
                        regular practice, some people are faster. Your muscles need to develop a
                        memory and I usually find that it takes some people that long for everything
                        to click. On a 60cm target I usually tell my students to be quite happy to
                        get all there arrows on the paper first. Also its better to get a nice tight
                        grouping even off the page consistently than have your arrows looking like
                        they were shot all over the place with a few in well scoring locations on
                        the target. The person with the tight group can eventually be taught to
                        change his aiming point and move the group onto the target thus netting
                        him/her a very nice score.

                        Lastly remember in all of this to Have fun.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

> [...]
                        > > > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to
                        > > hit a target? It's like
                        > > > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                        > >
                        > > The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does
                        > > help with shooting at
                        > > unknown distances. The difference between elevation
                        > > at fairly similar
                        > > distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect
                        > > on your distance
                        > > estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I
                        > > echo the worry about
                        > > going to strong before getting your form down pat.
                        > >

                        > > > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                        > > > Alestra
                        > >
                        > > Good luck and keep on shooting.
                        > >
                        > > Nest

                        > > Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter
                        > > now.
                        > > http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

                        > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                          > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
                          that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
                          and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
                          am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
                          target accurately.

                          First befor I give any advice I need to know more about your current skill
                          level. Like how long have you been shooting, how many arrows a week you
                          shoot for practice, have you switched from other forms of archery? How did
                          you findout you had random arrow speed? Is your longbow a fiberglass
                          American longbow or a selfwood bow?

                          I to do not undersand the comment that a crossbow has the same advantage as
                          a higher poundage bow. It only takes a 60-70lb crossbow to equal the "arc"
                          of a 25-30 lb longbow. The crossbow has the same dis-advantage of having to
                          figure out the "arc". The advantage is that a crossbow has the exact same
                          release every time. Yes a higher poundage crossbow(just like a high
                          poundage longbow) will have less of an "arc" to a set distance than a lower
                          poundage bow, but it still has an "arc".

                          James Cunningham

                          > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
                          how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
                          get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                          > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                          poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent
                          than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have
                          no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                        • Mike Hornbaker
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                            I might suggest there is a 4th method of release. I learned this when
                            learning the longbow, read in a book, and also found corroboration in
                            the Toxophilius. Once at your anchor point, yourelax the fingers just
                            ENOUGH so that the pressure on the string bumps the fingers out of its
                            way at the same time the hand goes back a little farther along the same
                            line. That extra motion is about 1/2 inch of necessary motion for the
                            fingers and string to clear each other. No creeping forward, no exploding
                            fingers away from the string, just a clean sharp release. The way I know
                            I have done this correctly is that my fingers never completely lose
                            contact with my cheek, just lose a bit of pressure as i go back from the
                            anchor point. I call this "stroking the cheek."

                            The words, in general , From the Toxophilius are that a person watching
                            the release sees very little and the archer feels next to nothing. This
                            fits well with the fingers going backward at the same time the string
                            goes forward in a combined distance of 1/2 inch.

                            If your ability to aim is done well, adding the above to it will jump
                            your scores and efficiency.

                            Michael vanBergen

                          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                              Random arrow speeds???

                              Something few people consider. Are you using 'snap' nocks or 'speed' nocks??

                              Snap nocks need pressure to push the back of the arrow onto the string with
                              a slight click. Unless these particular type of nocks have been filed to
                              grasp the string with the exact same pressure, one arrow will fly freely
                              while the next will experience a 'braking' effect as the snap nock hangs on
                              to the string a second longer than the others.

                              I always suggest speed nocks (there's another name for them) as they will be
                              more consistant in the point which they allow the arrow to leave the string.

                              Everything else being consistant, this should eliminate some of the arrows
                              dropping sooner than others.

                              Brad

                              >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                              business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                              >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
                              how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
                              get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                              >Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                              >Alestra

                            • Nest verch Tangwistel
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it is not
                                so much a problem with the archer at all but with the equipment. I have
                                had supposedly professionally made arrows which differed in weight as much
                                as 150 grains between them, and 20 pounds spine weight. That can add a lot
                                of randomness to shots. Especially at longer distances.

                                Nest
                                --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

                                > Random arrow speeds???

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • Guy Taylor
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  This is where getting your arrows from a reputable maker who states
                                  that his or her arrows are weight matched and hand spined shows up.

                                  Keep in mind that not everyone matches the arrows they sell. If
                                  they do not say that they are matched, you got exactly what you
                                  payed for. If you purchased them from F/S Archery in California,
                                  you got exactly what you payed for, but not what they advertise.

                                  Guy

                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                                  <eastarch@y...> wrote:
                                  > What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it
                                  >is not so much a problem with the archer at all but with the
                                  >equipment. I have had supposedly professionally made arrows which
                                  >differed in weight as much as 150 grains between them, and 20
                                  >pounds spine weight. That can add a lot of randomness to shots.
                                  >Especially at longer distances.
                                  >
                                  > Nest
                                • Carl West
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                                    Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                                    > ... I anchor my middle finger in
                                    > corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                                    > stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                                    > release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                                    > to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                                    > told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                                    > you don't pluck!

                                    I anchor similarly, forefinger behind upper canine, at the gum. String
                                    in the finger joints. Thumb and little finger touching. To release, I
                                    press the the hand against the face. This straightens the finger tips,
                                    away goes the arrow. No chance to pluck. Gotta keep the mustache trimmed
                                    though. Works better with stronger bows.

                                    -- Fritz

                                    Carl West
                                    mailto:carl.west@...
                                    http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
                                  • Sharon Macielinski
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                                      Hi. Thanks for the comments.

                                      Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows hit better, YES!

                                      Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus the varied speeds!

                                      And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.

                                      I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20# recurve bow!

                                      Wish me luck!
                                      Alestra

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                        Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                                        the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                                        elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                                        a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                                        hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                                        feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                                        used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                                        returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                                        forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                                        give a better draw.
                                        Carolus

                                        On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                                        <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                                        > Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                                        >
                                        > Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                                        > hit better, YES!
                                        >
                                        > Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                                        > shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                                        > couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                                        > BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                                        > height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                                        > (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                                        > get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                                        > use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                                        > roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                                        > the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                                        > bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                                        > the varied speeds!
                                        >
                                        > And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                                        >
                                        > I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                                        > be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                                        > recurve bow!
                                        >
                                        > Wish me luck!
                                        > Alestra
                                        > PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                                        > had same prob.

                                        Get your name as your email address.
                                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                          Greetings,
                                          The common complaint about having the string slap on release has
                                          been covered many times here, and many have gone into great detail
                                          describing the rotation of a woman's arm as oppoesed to a man's,
                                          yadayada......
                                          One way that will cure this problem for good is to learn how to
                                          hold the longbow the right way; it's the way I was taught back in the
                                          days that rocks were still soft. As you grip the longbow, the second
                                          knuckle down on the index finger should line up directly with the second
                                          knuckle of the thumb, parallel to the path of the arrow shaft . You use
                                          this as a way of pointing at the target...get used to this feeling. To
                                          do this, you will not be completely straightening and locking your bow
                                          arm and will always have a soft elbow joint (excellent for follow
                                          through, kind of like having a completely natural built-in stabilizer
                                          using only that which the good Lord gave you when you
                                          were born ;-) ) Voila! No more bowstring slaps.
                                          BTW I always wear a bracer anyway because nocks can break and
                                          things can always happen. Better safe than sorry. I shoot a very heavy
                                          draw weight bow, and it can hurt a whole lot with a light draw weight
                                          bow.
                                          My two pense,
                                          -Geoffrei
                                        • John Rossignol
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                            I hope Carolus' advice helps you out, Alestra. I'm sure his idea is
                                            good, I'm just having a little trouble visualizing what he means about
                                            the wrist.

                                            By the way, you can buy a bracer that should cover the whole "danger
                                            zone" of your bow arm. I bought one like that to lend people when I am
                                            introducing them to archery. It is 13" long, black leather with what
                                            feels like tough plastic rods sewn inside. It fastens with elastic and
                                            velcro, and it bends at the elbow. It's not "period", of course, but it
                                            is not obtrusive, and when your arm is getting massacred, who cares,
                                            anyhow? I didn't get it at a "traditional archery" store -- there
                                            aren't any right around where I live, and I needed this bracer in a
                                            hurry. It was actually just a lucky find in amongst the ultra-modern
                                            and camouflage stuff, but it has worked out pretty well. Unfortunately
                                            I don't remember the brand name. And you know, there is no law against
                                            padding the inside of your bracer, either (isn't that why sleeves were
                                            invented?)

                                            Of course, super-bracers and extra padding should only be stop-gap
                                            measures, to use until you can solve the problem with good technique and
                                            compatible equipment. But in the meantime -- hey, they can help you
                                            have fun and shoot the bow without killing yourself.

                                            That twisted limb on your bow is almost certainly causing some of your
                                            problems. By the way, 7" is not all that high a brace height, and that
                                            does make it easier to slap your arm with the string. My first bow has
                                            a brace height just over 7" with the strings I used, and I got some
                                            really terrific bruises before I got a decent bracer and, more
                                            importantly, learned to hold my arm correctly. Of course, if you used a
                                            shorter string to get a higher (and "safer") brace height, that would
                                            shorten your power stroke, and you certainly don't want do that with
                                            such a light bow.

                                            And yes, Good Luck in your competition, but remember -- however it goes,
                                            the object is always to Have Fun. I know we can lose sight of that
                                            sometimes, but it should always be our goal. So if your equipment
                                            really spoils this one for you, at least use it as an opportunity to lay
                                            the foundation for Having Fun in the future: by getting some experience
                                            with other bows. After a competition is over, the Range Marshal will
                                            usually open the range for practice. If there are archers there with
                                            bows in your general strength range, ask if you can try shooting them.
                                            Most archers I have met are very generous about this. See if other
                                            bows give you the same problems as your bow. Compare the feel of
                                            different bows as you draw and release, and try to find what might be a
                                            better draw weight for you. You might also find a particular design or
                                            brand that you especially like.

                                            Good luck. I hope some of that helps.

                                            John

                                            Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

                                            >Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                                            >the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                                            >elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                                            >a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                                            >hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                                            >feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                                            >used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                                            >returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                                            >forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                                            >give a better draw.
                                            >Carolus
                                            >
                                            >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                                            ><ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                                            >

                                            >>Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                                            >>
                                            >>Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                                            >>hit better, YES!
                                            >>
                                            >>Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                                            >>shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                                            >>couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                                            >>BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                                            >>height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                                            >>(I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                                            >>get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                                            >>use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                                            >>roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                                            >>the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                                            >>bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                                            >>the varied speeds!
                                            >>
                                            >>And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                                            >>
                                            >>I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                                            >>be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                                            >>recurve bow!
                                            >>
                                            >>Wish me luck!
                                            >>Alestra
                                            >>PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                                            >>had same prob.

                                          • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                              It is what is referred to as a high wrist position. A low wrist position
                                              has the hand vertical with the bow resting heavily on the fleshy part of
                                              the hand below the thumb. Many people use this position, especially with
                                              long bow. The high wrist moves the bow to the web of the thumb removing
                                              much of the pressure from the hand. It makes the bow "float" in the
                                              grip, eliminates much tendency to torque it, and lets the arm shift
                                              slightly out of the path of the string. If you hold your arm out and
                                              pronate the elbow (the first step I mentioned) you will find your hand
                                              naturally tends to take a position where the palm is parallel with the
                                              ground. This is too high. Rotate the little finger back down to a
                                              comfortable position (45 to 60 degrees down) without changing the elbow
                                              position and everything should drop into place.

                                              I have a virtually identical bracer. It was made by Saunders. There are
                                              others out there, too.
                                              Carolus

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                Oh, yes, thanks. I think I see what you mean.

                                                John

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                  A low poundage(under 50LB) wood longbow is the hardest bow to shoot well. It
                                                  bits, kicks, and turns weak if held too long. It will be extremly fustrating
                                                  to get it to shoot well but if you can master it all other bows will be easy
                                                  to shoot by comparison. Being that it is a selfwood/laminated wood bow and
                                                  that you are "not drawing to a consistent bend" that is the two main causes
                                                  for varying arrows speeds. Have fun shooting. The people who know bows will
                                                  know how hard you are working to get your bow to shoot.

                                                  James Cunningham

                                                  P.S. Get a bracer big enough to protect your arm.
                                                  The twist in the limb is not a big thing in a longbow... in a recurve...
                                                  could be.