Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1723

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 31, 2004
      At 09:52 PM 8/31/2004, Brad Boda d'Aylward wrote:
      >You did, in fact, hit on the wrong year. That year we were opposite Crown
      >Tourney with permission and many of our more dedicated folks were involved
      >with that Event. If I recall correctly, the weather turned against us also.
      >There were other issues which were internal. Please don't judge one of the
      >premier archery events of this Kingdom by one bad year. We all have them at
      >one time or another.

      Well, I would love to come back; however, it seems that the weekend is
      always a hard one for me. It is usually directly conflicting with my
      wedding anniversary.

      And besides that, this coming year, if I would attend, I would be attending
      with a 3 month old child. Which might affect said plans.

      Siegfried

    • Sharon Macielinski
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

        Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

        My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

        Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

        Thanks as always for all the great advice!
        Alestra

        longbow <scalongbow@...> wrote:
        The number of "Woods Walk" type shoots in AEthelmarc has led to a drop
        in the
        number of people participating in the Royal round shoots. One event that
        has 5 such
        walks is Will's Revenge that is held in Central PA in early May. It's
        the first such
        during the year. Very well attended. And very challenging. Lots of
        "moving" targets as well.

        Master Gwilym

        > From: "J. Hughes"
        >Subject: Re: SCA Archery Coaching
        >
        >Actually, a "woods walk" is a standard thing for many
        >archery championships. Both the champion shoot for the
        >war point and the champion shoot for the Youth archery
        >at Pennsic had wood walks that presented targets in
        >the settings of hunting. I have also seen a number of
        >times creative use of moving targets on such shoots.
        >
        >Charles O'Connor
        >--- Sharon Macielinski
        > wrote:
        > I have not
        >

        >>heard any kind of mock hunting trial... Depends on
        >>the kingdom/area? Enlightenments?
        >>
        >>Best wishes,
        >>Alestra (K of Atlantia)

        >Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!
        >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
          Sure, a higher poundage will get a flatter trajectory. But it will make
          it harder to learn good form and your 26 should work just fine at these
          short distances. I had a gal with a 25 # bow dropping nearly on the pin
          of a 90 yard clout! So, what's next? Your release. We really haven't
          gotten into releases here yet so this is kind of new territory. Let's
          see if I can get this across.

          First off, some basics. The power for your draw comes from your back,
          not your arms or shoulders. In fact, the muscles of your arms should be
          slightly relaxed even at full draw. You want this tension in your back
          to continue through your release and into the follow through. This gives
          what is called an active release as opposed to a dead release.

          A dead release is one in which the archer pulls to his anchor point,
          stops and simply opens his fingers. It's good, steady and doesn't
          introduce errors to the arrow. But it robs his shot of power. Once the
          archer stops pulling the bow begins to lose energy and the longer he
          waits the slower his shot (the less cast it has). This means that more
          arc is needed to get downrange. On the other hand, an active release is
          one in which the archer prepares his shot in advance, draws to where his
          site picture is where he expects it to be as he reaches his anchor (yes
          even instinctive archers have site pictures, they just have them so
          ingrained that they are conscious of them), hesitates for an instant to
          be sure everything is right, and pulls through, relaxing his fingers on
          the way getting a fast, efficient release. The archer's hand ends up
          behind his anchor during follow through. For example, my anchor is under
          my chin with the string touching my nose, both lips, and the center of my
          chin. My thumb is resting under and against my jaw. As I release, ma
          hand continues back and ends up under my ear. That is, if I do it right.
          This is the active release.

          Using this release I was able to get flat shots from a 33# bow at 60
          yards. One of the tricks here is to never, never let your back relax
          once your start drawing until you complete your follow through. You will
          also want to powder your string fingers. I like a mix of 50/50 baby
          powder and corn starch. Rub it into your string hand before putting on
          your glove or tab, then powder your glove or tab as well. Keep
          reapplying until the leather is well saturated.

          This will give you an impressive increase in arrow speed and accuracy.
          Carolus

          On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:07:17 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
          <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
          > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
          > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!
          >
          > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to
          > tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no
          > problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing
          > because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure
          > out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.
          >
          > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is
          > figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good
          > anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?
          >
          > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
          > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
          > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's
          > like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
          >
          > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
          > Alestra

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • John Rossignol
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
            Sharon Macielinski wrote:

            >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

            Actually, timed shoots make a lot of sense, if you think historically.
            Imagine the enemy charging your firing line, and they are going to
            reach you in a few seconds unless you shoot them all...

            As far as the 20/30/40-yard targets...well, you have to learn to walk
            before you can run. Actually, one of the best things you can do as a
            beginner is to not worry about aiming at a target at all, but just
            practice your draw, anchor, and release.

            >Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

            If you are really only drawing 26 pounds, then the politest way I can
            put this is to say that your instructor is not being very realistic.
            Reaching the target is not the same thing as hitting it, and I have
            seen a lot of arrows from weak bows simply bounce off the hay bales at
            30 and 40 yards even when they did hit them. See my comments below your
            bottom paragraph.

            >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

            Aiming high above the target is tough, because you seldom have anything
            handy up in the sky to use as an aiming point, and it's easy to lose
            track of where the target is. What many archers do in this situation is
            to use an anchor point on their chest or stomach -- a technique commonly
            used in clout shooting. This allows them to sight over the tip of a
            steeply-angled arrow without having to look way up into the sky.
            Exactly how high to aim is something you will have to work out by trial
            and error, since every bow and person is different.

            If you are truly getting *random* arrow speeds, then I suspect that your
            draw, anchor, and release are not as consistent as you think. A high
            degree of consistency in these actions is the very foundation of good
            archery, and generally takes years of practice to achieve. Even very
            small variations can cause quite an effect on the flight of an arrow.

            The only other random factors affecting arrow speed would be the wind,
            and maybe disintegrating equipment (unlikely). A non-random factor
            could be mismatched arrows, especially with differences in spine and/or
            fletching. I say non-random because, if all other factors are uniform,
            the same arrow should fly approximately the same every time you shoot
            it. Unless the wind is gusting, though, the greatest source of
            randomness is the archer.

            >Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target?

            You are entirely correct in thinking that higher arrow velocity should
            increase your accuracy, and for two main reasons.

            The first is that a faster arrow can reach a given target with a flatter
            trajectory than can a slower arrow ( I assume that is what you mean by
            "an arrow that flies straight"). The advantage here is that, as you
            have noted, it makes aiming much easier -- no aiming up in the sky to
            reach targets that are only 40 yards away.

            The second is that a faster arrow will be less affected by wind. There
            are three aspects of this. 1) Since the faster arrow will be in the air
            for a shorter time before reaching the target, there is less time for
            the prevailing wind to act upon it. 2) Since it will be in the air for
            a shorter time, there is less chance that it will be affected by a
            *change* in the wind that occurs while it is in flight. We can learn to
            compensate for steady wind, but gusts and lulls are unpredictable. 3)
            An arrow shot in a high arc is often exposed to wind of greater force
            and different direction that the wind closer to the ground.

            Except for the wind factor, I can't think of anything that would make a
            faster arrow inherently more consistent than a slower one.
            Inconsistency is almost always due to the archer.

            When trying to get your arrows to fly faster, it is important to
            remember that a heavier draw weight is only one contributing factor.
            Another is the efficiency of the bow -- how fast it throws the arrow
            per pound of draw weight. Some bow designs are more efficient than
            others, and within any particular design some individual bows are more
            efficient than others because of the materials and craftsmanship
            involved. If you can, try some different types of bow. Some of the
            recurved designs are not only more efficient than a longbow, but are
            actually much easier to draw at the same poundage.

            Another thing you can do is to use an anchor point which gives you a
            longer draw length, i.e. to your cheek or your ear instead of your chin.
            Traditional Japanese archers draw all the way to the shoulder. A
            longer draw generally increases the effective draw weight of a bow.

            Arrow weight also has an effect on arrow velocity, but it can be pro or
            con according to distance and shooting conditions. The most important
            thing, as far as weight, is that your arrows all be the same.

            All this being said, it is still very important to not use a bow that is
            too heavy for you *right now*. You can injure yourself, and you can
            develop very bad form and habits. Most of us wish we could shoot
            heavier bows, but we have to let reality be our guide. Your muscles
            will gain strength fairly rapidly if you draw your bow a lot, but it
            doesn't do to anticipate too much. The best rule of thumb that I have
            heard for choosing a good draw weight is one posted on this list by
            Carolus Eulenhorst, so I will quote him here: "As to poundage, the best
            thing is to go to practice and try pulling different bows. Find a weight
            you can just hold at full draw for ten seconds. if you can hold longer
            the you will outgrow the bow quickly and if you can't hold that long the
            bow is too heavy for you (overbowed)."

            If you are serious about archery, please believe me that in the early
            stages it is actually far more important for you to work on your draw,
            anchor, and release than it is to hit 40-yard targets -- or any targets,
            for that matter. And you should do it with a bow that you can draw
            easily. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but it will really pay
            off.

            >It's like a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

            Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

            John
          • Dan Scheid
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
              > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
              that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
              and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
              am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
              target accurately.
              > > Alestra

              he is right after watching the Olympics with them shooting 40# Bow at 70
              meters . your 35 should hit. But I use a 60# never could work the arch thing
              Damales
            • Scott Jaqua
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                There is no reason that a 26lb bow should not be able to hit and stick
                into a target at 40 yards. (unless your target is unreasonably dense). I
                had a 22lb bow that I used to lend out to left handed students and it
                did the job just fine.

                First off heed your coach and the majority here. Don't go to a heavy bow
                yet. This is a great time to practice consistent form. Wait until you
                are consistent with this bow before you add more weight to the equation.

                Others have spoken of your anchor and release. And these are key to
                getting the maximum consistent level of energy out of your bow.

                However, as distance increases, there is another element of your form
                that gains in importance. And that is follow through. A minor follow
                through error a short distance is greatly magnified as the distance
                increases. In short you need the bow to remain a steady launch platform
                until the arrow clears the rest. If the arrow rest falls away from the
                arrow too quickly, then the arrow will fall of as well.

                The best thing you can do is slightly exaggerate the follow through.
                Hold your form for a few seconds after the release before you relax.
                This is one case of too much is better then not enough.

                And on a final note: lack of a proper follow through is perhaps the
                number one error I see in even the most experienced SCA archers. (that
                and a nasty pluck on release that I have (been working on it for 26
                years, still it comes back after any lay off between practices))

                Njall
              • Nest verch Tangwistel
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                  > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                  Why don't the timed ends make sense?

                  > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell
                  > me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems
                  > hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a
                  > heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in
                  > order to hit the target accurately.

                  The loaner equipment I use is between 17 and 25 pounds. The only problem I
                  have seen is with the really light bows. The arrow hits the ceiling in out
                  indoor range before you can get enough arc in the trajectory to reach the
                  target. But my daughter shot the 100 yard clout with a 20 pound bow at
                  Pennsic one year. She got all the arrows wither in the clout or the front
                  wall. so it can be done.

                  > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring
                  > out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor
                  > point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                  I have to agree with others one this one. It sounds like you are loosing
                  critical energy in some of your shots by collapsing. A good follow through
                  may be the answer to your problems. It was taught to me that you should
                  never completely come to a halt when getting to your anchor point. Go back
                  to the anchor fairly quickly, then slowly continue pulling until you are
                  ready to execute the shot. That way your arrow hand should continue moving
                  back towards your shoulder after you have released. If your hand sometimes
                  moves back towards the bow as you release you loose a great deal of speed.

                  > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                  > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
                  > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like
                  > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                  The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does help with shooting at
                  unknown distances. The difference between elevation at fairly similar
                  distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect on your distance
                  estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I echo the worry about
                  going to strong before getting your form down pat.

                  > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                  > Alestra

                  Good luck and keep on shooting.

                  Nest

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                    > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                    > business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                    Why don't the timed ends make sense?

                    > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell
                    > me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems
                    > hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a
                    > heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in
                    > order to hit the target accurately.

                    The loaner equipment I use is between 17 and 25 pounds. The only problem I
                    have seen is with the really light bows. The arrow hits the ceiling in out
                    indoor range before you can get enough arc in the trajectory to reach the
                    target. But my daughter shot the 100 yard clout with a 20 pound bow at
                    Pennsic one year. She got all the arrows wither in the clout or the front
                    wall. so it can be done.

                    > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring
                    > out how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor
                    > point/release I get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                    I have to agree with others one this one. It sounds like you are loosing
                    critical energy in some of your shots by collapsing. A good follow through
                    may be the answer to your problems. It was taught to me that you should
                    never completely come to a halt when getting to your anchor point. Go back
                    to the anchor fairly quickly, then slowly continue pulling until you are
                    ready to execute the shot. That way your arrow hand should continue moving
                    back towards your shoulder after you have released. If your hand sometimes
                    moves back towards the bow as you release you loose a great deal of speed.

                    > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                    > poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more
                    > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like
                    > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....

                    The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does help with shooting at
                    unknown distances. The difference between elevation at fairly similar
                    distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect on your distance
                    estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I echo the worry about
                    going to strong before getting your form down pat.

                    > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                    > Alestra

                    Good luck and keep on shooting.

                    Nest

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                  • Sharon Macielinski
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Thanks for the info! Maybe I just hadn't been taught
                      this type of release yet? I will have to ask... I was
                      so happy that I stopped plucking! When I stopped
                      plucking I was able to get so much more accurate at
                      10-20 yard ranges. I anchor my middle finger in
                      corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                      stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                      release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                      to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                      told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                      you don't pluck!

                      I will try a faster release this afternoon, although I
                      can only shoot at a 10-15 yard distance here... I
                      should be able to tell if the arrows are flying faster
                      though by how far they get stuck in the target! :)

                      Thanks again... I like the baby powder cornstarch idea
                      too.

                      Cheers,
                      Alestra

                      --- Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to
                      > hit a target? It's like
                      > > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                      >
                      > The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does
                      > help with shooting at
                      > unknown distances. The difference between elevation
                      > at fairly similar
                      > distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect
                      > on your distance
                      > estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I
                      > echo the worry about
                      > going to strong before getting your form down pat.
                      >

                      > > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                      > > Alestra
                      >
                      > Good luck and keep on shooting.
                      >
                      > Nest

                      > Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter
                      > now.
                      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

                      > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by

                    • Chad Wilson
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Macielinski
                        <ariel_elronds_daughter@y...> wrote:
                        > Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the
                        20/30/40 business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                        > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to
                        tell me that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no
                        problems hitting 30 and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because
                        I wanted a heavier bow and am frustrated trying to figure out
                        the "arc" thing in order to hit the target accurately.

                        You need a way of gaining more arrow speed.

                        One way is to decrease the overall weight of your arrows while still
                        designing to fly in a balanced way. All of my bolts and arrows are
                        untreated. I stopped putting finishing seal on them and it produced
                        some much lighter arrows. You could go as far as buying 100 shafts
                        and then weight them all after cutting them down to use only the
                        lightest of the bunch, without sacrificing spine weight.

                        Another way is to increase the power stroke. The power stroke is the
                        part of the shooting process where the bow's string is pushing on the
                        arrow. With your shorter draw, you are sacrificing much of your
                        power stroke.

                        I wonder if you switched to a lighter longbow so you can pull a
                        longer arrow would help. As strange as it sounds, you could in
                        theory shoot a 25# longbow using longer arrows and have it shoot
                        faster than your 35# longbow with a shorter draw.

                        When I shoot a handbow, my arrows are 29". And I use all 29" of the
                        arrow.

                        -Caedmon
                      • Russ Sheldon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                          Greetings,
                          A couple of things to remember.
                          1) Without some kind of trigger release ( ie using just your hand ) everyone
                          will pluck the string sometime. Even the best archer. Period.
                          2) There are more than one release method , static, active and what I call
                          open release. All have there pro's and con's and none of them are the be all
                          and end all of shooting. Use the one your most comfortable with.
                          Static is where you anchor your hand and just release your fingers.
                          I find that errors in your release using a static release can be magnified
                          by a lighter poundage bow. Also hard to get a nice fast release with the
                          string without a lot of practice. If you master this release though you will
                          get very good scores for all ranges of archery.
                          Active release requires you to anchor your hand and then pull and
                          release the string. I find that you get faster release with the string but
                          it is hard to get a consistent speed with the release for longer yardage
                          shots. Also easier to pluck using this method.
                          Open release ( may have other names ) has your hand follow the
                          release of the string for a few inches. Very hard to do right unless your
                          using really high poundage bows. Your hand just gets in the way and slows
                          down the release.
                          3) Be it a glove, finger tab, or just your fingers all must be inspected to
                          help better your release. A beat up grubby glove or finger tab can cause
                          your string to hang or not roll right on your release. These need to be
                          replaced when they begin to get worn. Trouble is they always seem to die
                          just as they get broken in just right. Sigh! As for your fingers, calluses
                          that will form may help protect your fingers from blisters but they may also
                          cause areas on your fingers to catch the string. You may have to smooth or
                          scrape these down periodically.
                          4) Do not expect to be shooting consistently for at least 4 to 6 months with
                          regular practice, some people are faster. Your muscles need to develop a
                          memory and I usually find that it takes some people that long for everything
                          to click. On a 60cm target I usually tell my students to be quite happy to
                          get all there arrows on the paper first. Also its better to get a nice tight
                          grouping even off the page consistently than have your arrows looking like
                          they were shot all over the place with a few in well scoring locations on
                          the target. The person with the tight group can eventually be taught to
                          change his aiming point and move the group onto the target thus netting
                          him/her a very nice score.

                          Lastly remember in all of this to Have fun.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

> [...]
                          > > > accurate/consistent than one that has to arc to
                          > > hit a target? It's like
                          > > > a crossbow would have no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                          > >
                          > > The flatter trajectory of a higher pound bow does
                          > > help with shooting at
                          > > unknown distances. The difference between elevation
                          > > at fairly similar
                          > > distances is less, so you don't have to be perfect
                          > > on your distance
                          > > estimation. Even more so with a crossbow. However, I
                          > > echo the worry about
                          > > going to strong before getting your form down pat.
                          > >

                          > > > Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                          > > > Alestra
                          > >
                          > > Good luck and keep on shooting.
                          > >
                          > > Nest

                          > > Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter
                          > > now.
                          > > http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

                          > > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by

                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
                            > Alrighty guys... I need advice again... my instructor is trying to tell me
                            that my 26 lb pull on my 30-35lb longbow should have no problems hitting 30
                            and 40 yard targets. I have been fussing because I wanted a heavier bow and
                            am frustrated trying to figure out the "arc" thing in order to hit the
                            target accurately.

                            First befor I give any advice I need to know more about your current skill
                            level. Like how long have you been shooting, how many arrows a week you
                            shoot for practice, have you switched from other forms of archery? How did
                            you findout you had random arrow speed? Is your longbow a fiberglass
                            American longbow or a selfwood bow?

                            I to do not undersand the comment that a crossbow has the same advantage as
                            a higher poundage bow. It only takes a 60-70lb crossbow to equal the "arc"
                            of a 25-30 lb longbow. The crossbow has the same dis-advantage of having to
                            figure out the "arc". The advantage is that a crossbow has the exact same
                            release every time. Yes a higher poundage crossbow(just like a high
                            poundage longbow) will have less of an "arc" to a set distance than a lower
                            poundage bow, but it still has an "arc".

                            James Cunningham

                            > My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
                            how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
                            get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                            > Also, I don't believe that I would have no advantage with a higher
                            poundage bow. Isn't an arrow that flies straight more accurate/consistent
                            than one that has to arc to hit a target? It's like a crossbow would have
                            no advantage! Hmmmmm....
                          • Mike Hornbaker
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                              I might suggest there is a 4th method of release. I learned this when
                              learning the longbow, read in a book, and also found corroboration in
                              the Toxophilius. Once at your anchor point, yourelax the fingers just
                              ENOUGH so that the pressure on the string bumps the fingers out of its
                              way at the same time the hand goes back a little farther along the same
                              line. That extra motion is about 1/2 inch of necessary motion for the
                              fingers and string to clear each other. No creeping forward, no exploding
                              fingers away from the string, just a clean sharp release. The way I know
                              I have done this correctly is that my fingers never completely lose
                              contact with my cheek, just lose a bit of pressure as i go back from the
                              anchor point. I call this "stroking the cheek."

                              The words, in general , From the Toxophilius are that a person watching
                              the release sees very little and the archer feels next to nothing. This
                              fits well with the fingers going backward at the same time the string
                              goes forward in a combined distance of 1/2 inch.

                              If your ability to aim is done well, adding the above to it will jump
                              your scores and efficiency.

                              Michael vanBergen

                            • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                Random arrow speeds???

                                Something few people consider. Are you using 'snap' nocks or 'speed' nocks??

                                Snap nocks need pressure to push the back of the arrow onto the string with
                                a slight click. Unless these particular type of nocks have been filed to
                                grasp the string with the exact same pressure, one arrow will fly freely
                                while the next will experience a 'braking' effect as the snap nock hangs on
                                to the string a second longer than the others.

                                I always suggest speed nocks (there's another name for them) as they will be
                                more consistant in the point which they allow the arrow to leave the string.

                                Everything else being consistant, this should eliminate some of the arrows
                                dropping sooner than others.

                                Brad

                                >Sounds exciting! Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the 20/30/40
                                business, and timed shoots make no sense. Oh well!

                                >My form and anchor points are just fine, so my difficulty is figuring out
                                how far above the target to aim... even with a good anchor point/release I
                                get random arrow speeds!! ANY HINTS?

                                >Thanks as always for all the great advice!
                                >Alestra

                              • Nest verch Tangwistel
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it is not
                                  so much a problem with the archer at all but with the equipment. I have
                                  had supposedly professionally made arrows which differed in weight as much
                                  as 150 grains between them, and 20 pounds spine weight. That can add a lot
                                  of randomness to shots. Especially at longer distances.

                                  Nest
                                  --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

                                  > Random arrow speeds???

                                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                • Guy Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    This is where getting your arrows from a reputable maker who states
                                    that his or her arrows are weight matched and hand spined shows up.

                                    Keep in mind that not everyone matches the arrows they sell. If
                                    they do not say that they are matched, you got exactly what you
                                    payed for. If you purchased them from F/S Archery in California,
                                    you got exactly what you payed for, but not what they advertise.

                                    Guy

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                                    <eastarch@y...> wrote:
                                    > What about poorly matched arrows? Did we ask about that? Maybe it
                                    >is not so much a problem with the archer at all but with the
                                    >equipment. I have had supposedly professionally made arrows which
                                    >differed in weight as much as 150 grains between them, and 20
                                    >pounds spine weight. That can add a lot of randomness to shots.
                                    >Especially at longer distances.
                                    >
                                    > Nest
                                  • Carl West
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                                      Sharon Macielinski wrote:

                                      > ... I anchor my middle finger in
                                      > corner of mouth just behind canine tooth and my thumb
                                      > stays under my chin to keep my hand still on
                                      > release... but I have been holding that too long--easy
                                      > to do if your bow is a light poundage :) I have been
                                      > told that the release is a relaxing of the fingers, so
                                      > you don't pluck!

                                      I anchor similarly, forefinger behind upper canine, at the gum. String
                                      in the finger joints. Thumb and little finger touching. To release, I
                                      press the the hand against the face. This straightens the finger tips,
                                      away goes the arrow. No chance to pluck. Gotta keep the mustache trimmed
                                      though. Works better with stronger bows.

                                      -- Fritz

                                      Carl West
                                      mailto:carl.west@...
                                      http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
                                    • Sharon Macielinski
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 8, 2004
                                        Hi. Thanks for the comments.

                                        Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows hit better, YES!

                                        Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus the varied speeds!

                                        And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.

                                        I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20# recurve bow!

                                        Wish me luck!
                                        Alestra

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                          Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                                          the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                                          elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                                          a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                                          hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                                          feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                                          used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                                          returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                                          forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                                          give a better draw.
                                          Carolus

                                          On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                                          <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                                          > Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                                          >
                                          > Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                                          > hit better, YES!
                                          >
                                          > Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                                          > shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                                          > couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                                          > BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                                          > height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                                          > (I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                                          > get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                                          > use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                                          > roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                                          > the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                                          > bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                                          > the varied speeds!
                                          >
                                          > And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                                          >
                                          > I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                                          > be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                                          > recurve bow!
                                          >
                                          > Wish me luck!
                                          > Alestra
                                          > PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                                          > had same prob.

                                          Get your name as your email address.
                                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                            Greetings,
                                            The common complaint about having the string slap on release has
                                            been covered many times here, and many have gone into great detail
                                            describing the rotation of a woman's arm as oppoesed to a man's,
                                            yadayada......
                                            One way that will cure this problem for good is to learn how to
                                            hold the longbow the right way; it's the way I was taught back in the
                                            days that rocks were still soft. As you grip the longbow, the second
                                            knuckle down on the index finger should line up directly with the second
                                            knuckle of the thumb, parallel to the path of the arrow shaft . You use
                                            this as a way of pointing at the target...get used to this feeling. To
                                            do this, you will not be completely straightening and locking your bow
                                            arm and will always have a soft elbow joint (excellent for follow
                                            through, kind of like having a completely natural built-in stabilizer
                                            using only that which the good Lord gave you when you
                                            were born ;-) ) Voila! No more bowstring slaps.
                                            BTW I always wear a bracer anyway because nocks can break and
                                            things can always happen. Better safe than sorry. I shoot a very heavy
                                            draw weight bow, and it can hurt a whole lot with a light draw weight
                                            bow.
                                            My two pense,
                                            -Geoffrei
                                          • John Rossignol
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                              I hope Carolus' advice helps you out, Alestra. I'm sure his idea is
                                              good, I'm just having a little trouble visualizing what he means about
                                              the wrist.

                                              By the way, you can buy a bracer that should cover the whole "danger
                                              zone" of your bow arm. I bought one like that to lend people when I am
                                              introducing them to archery. It is 13" long, black leather with what
                                              feels like tough plastic rods sewn inside. It fastens with elastic and
                                              velcro, and it bends at the elbow. It's not "period", of course, but it
                                              is not obtrusive, and when your arm is getting massacred, who cares,
                                              anyhow? I didn't get it at a "traditional archery" store -- there
                                              aren't any right around where I live, and I needed this bracer in a
                                              hurry. It was actually just a lucky find in amongst the ultra-modern
                                              and camouflage stuff, but it has worked out pretty well. Unfortunately
                                              I don't remember the brand name. And you know, there is no law against
                                              padding the inside of your bracer, either (isn't that why sleeves were
                                              invented?)

                                              Of course, super-bracers and extra padding should only be stop-gap
                                              measures, to use until you can solve the problem with good technique and
                                              compatible equipment. But in the meantime -- hey, they can help you
                                              have fun and shoot the bow without killing yourself.

                                              That twisted limb on your bow is almost certainly causing some of your
                                              problems. By the way, 7" is not all that high a brace height, and that
                                              does make it easier to slap your arm with the string. My first bow has
                                              a brace height just over 7" with the strings I used, and I got some
                                              really terrific bruises before I got a decent bracer and, more
                                              importantly, learned to hold my arm correctly. Of course, if you used a
                                              shorter string to get a higher (and "safer") brace height, that would
                                              shorten your power stroke, and you certainly don't want do that with
                                              such a light bow.

                                              And yes, Good Luck in your competition, but remember -- however it goes,
                                              the object is always to Have Fun. I know we can lose sight of that
                                              sometimes, but it should always be our goal. So if your equipment
                                              really spoils this one for you, at least use it as an opportunity to lay
                                              the foundation for Having Fun in the future: by getting some experience
                                              with other bows. After a competition is over, the Range Marshal will
                                              usually open the range for practice. If there are archers there with
                                              bows in your general strength range, ask if you can try shooting them.
                                              Most archers I have met are very generous about this. See if other
                                              bows give you the same problems as your bow. Compare the feel of
                                              different bows as you draw and release, and try to find what might be a
                                              better draw weight for you. You might also find a particular design or
                                              brand that you especially like.

                                              Good luck. I hope some of that helps.

                                              John

                                              Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

                                              >Try this and see if it doesn't help the bite. Take your normal stance at
                                              >the line, extend your bow arm toward the target, turn the arm so that the
                                              >elbow points horizontal (when the elbow is flexed the arm should move in
                                              >a plane parallel with the ground), and then rotate the wrist to put the
                                              >hand at a slight angle down on the outside of the arm. It will probably
                                              >feel really awkward at first and may even hurt a little but you will get
                                              >used to it. Then grasp the bow lightly and draw it with your arm
                                              >returning to this position at full draw. This will move the bulk of your
                                              >forearm muscle out of the way of the string, solidify the shoulder, and
                                              >give a better draw.
                                              >Carolus
                                              >
                                              >On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:59:16 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski
                                              ><ariel_elronds_daughter@...> writes:
                                              >

                                              >>Hi. Thanks for the comments.
                                              >>
                                              >>Crossbow comment had to do with speed of arrow again. Faster arrows
                                              >>hit better, YES!
                                              >>
                                              >>Been working with my random bow (a self-bow with attached horn
                                              >>shelf) for another week now... the brace height has been adjusted a
                                              >>couple times by the bowyer... he's having trouble shooting it... it
                                              >>BITES (slaps above the brace) too often... (even at a 7" brace
                                              >>height) the cherry/hickory is very sensitive to all the humidity
                                              >>(I've also noticed a twist in the limb) is part of the problem. I
                                              >>get terrible hand shock from it too. Because it bites, I've had to
                                              >>use a slightly bent elbow, just turning my arm causes my shoulder to
                                              >>roll forward (bad form, causes aches). Bending the elbow reduces
                                              >>the draw length! AND, depending on how tired or if I've just been
                                              >>bitten or whatever... I am not drawing to a consistent bend. Thus
                                              >>the varied speeds!
                                              >>
                                              >>And, yes I can draw that bow for much longer than 10 seconds.
                                              >>
                                              >>I am competing with this I THINK in 10 days... it is either going to
                                              >>be for joke/fun or I'm toying with switching to my daughter's 20#
                                              >>recurve bow!
                                              >>
                                              >>Wish me luck!
                                              >>Alestra
                                              >>PS> the biting is not my plucking; my instructor w/20 yrs exp. also
                                              >>had same prob.

                                            • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                It is what is referred to as a high wrist position. A low wrist position
                                                has the hand vertical with the bow resting heavily on the fleshy part of
                                                the hand below the thumb. Many people use this position, especially with
                                                long bow. The high wrist moves the bow to the web of the thumb removing
                                                much of the pressure from the hand. It makes the bow "float" in the
                                                grip, eliminates much tendency to torque it, and lets the arm shift
                                                slightly out of the path of the string. If you hold your arm out and
                                                pronate the elbow (the first step I mentioned) you will find your hand
                                                naturally tends to take a position where the palm is parallel with the
                                                ground. This is too high. Rotate the little finger back down to a
                                                comfortable position (45 to 60 degrees down) without changing the elbow
                                                position and everything should drop into place.

                                                I have a virtually identical bracer. It was made by Saunders. There are
                                                others out there, too.
                                                Carolus

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                  Oh, yes, thanks. I think I see what you mean.

                                                  John

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 9, 2004
                                                    A low poundage(under 50LB) wood longbow is the hardest bow to shoot well. It
                                                    bits, kicks, and turns weak if held too long. It will be extremly fustrating
                                                    to get it to shoot well but if you can master it all other bows will be easy
                                                    to shoot by comparison. Being that it is a selfwood/laminated wood bow and
                                                    that you are "not drawing to a consistent bend" that is the two main causes
                                                    for varying arrows speeds. Have fun shooting. The people who know bows will
                                                    know how hard you are working to get your bow to shoot.

                                                    James Cunningham

                                                    P.S. Get a bracer big enough to protect your arm.
                                                    The twist in the limb is not a big thing in a longbow... in a recurve...
                                                    could be.