Re: "Natural fletching"

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
      Greetings Eshtban il Andalus

      I remember a few fine days fly Tweets in and out of San Angelo Int.
      Speaking of birds and wings and making things fly strait. Most of the
      members of Havenholde make and use a lot of bolts and arrows see:
      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html and we do not see much difference
      in right and left wing. We are all right handed and my crossbows are
      ambidexterous(sp) (Joke). We use mostly left because we can get more colors
      from Three Rivers: http://www.3riversarchery.com/ . Sorry I cnanot help you
      much with feather prep... I am still trying to figure it out but I do know
      that Goose feathers are best cut off(the geese like it better) as soon after
      they grow in after molt. and are a lot softer than Turkey.

      James Cunningham

      Good shooting
    • Susan Kell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
        Greetings, Eshtban & other friends -
        I agree with what Streitan replied on this topic, and would add:

        After "harvesting" the feathers, store with with mothballs to prevent them
        being eaten by the parasites that live on them.

        Right-wing for right-handed and left-wing for left-handed is nothing more
        than "religion". Those who espouse it, believe it fervantly. In my
        experience, it is not a necessary matching. What is important is that you
        don't mix feathers of the two types on the same arrow or bolt -- as Master
        David McDougall always said, "arrows can't flap when they fly"... Also,
        if someone has been effectively shooting with one type of feather and
        needs to switch to the other, they will probably need to adjust their
        nocking point (so the new type of feather clears the rest properly). Of
        course, the type of feather also affects the fletcher's jig set-up.

        Li and I use left-wing feathers exclusively. We have found that they are
        slightly less expensive. Our students and customers of both handedness
        have had no trouble with left-wing fletch.

        Good luck, and happy hunting!
        -- Ygraine