Re: [SCA-Archery] Leather source

  • Detharlion of Nottingham
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
      There are a few that sell scraps, but if you are buying it sight unseen,
      that can lead to disappointment... If you have access to a Tandy
      Leather storefront location (there is one in East Hartford, CT, you can
      typically buy pieces, and often, they have a scrap bin that has perfect
      sized pieces for projects of this sort on the cheap...

      Depending on the style of back quiver you are looking for, you might
      need to purchase a half side to get enough clear/clean material for the
      panels (assuming you plan on using vege-tanned / tooling leather for the
      stiffness). I've been known to make back quivers for folks on a custom
      ordered basis using a 9-10 OZ tooling leather, with heraldic arms tooled
      on the top bib starting at $60. (cost goes up depending on the detail of
      tooling desired). If you are interested, send me a message off-line and
      I will forward a pic of some example work.) WHile not something that
      can be documented as period, they are, nonetheless, well crafted (hand
      sewn), and work very well if you are shooting in competition.

      Detharlion of Nottingham
      Bergental, East Kingdom

      >>> celticarchr1@... 8/26/2004 12:37:16 PM >>>

      Greetings all,

      Anyone know of any good quality leather sources that
      sell leather in small amounts?
      I'm thinking of starting to make my own equipment (arm
      guard, back quiver), and I'd rather not have to
      purchase an entire side of an animal for my projects
      :)Thanks!

      Seonaid MacPhie aka Shea
      Barony of Smoking Rocks/Dragon's Heorth

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Chris Mortimore
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
        If you can't find a Tandy Leather in your area, they are also known as The Leather Factory in some places...

        >>>-----> <-----<<<
        Johanna von Schöningen
        Barony Coeur d'Ennui
        mka Chris Mortimore
        cmortimr at graceland dot edu

      • blockflute1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
          The Leather Factory where I live sells leather furniture so unless you bring
          a knife and secretly liberate strips of leather that will do no good. I
          thought Tandy was strictly mail-order / web based now.

        • Chris Mortimore
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
            Oops, sorry... The Leather Factory here bought out Tandy and I was given
            the impression that it was a national deal with the storefront name
            being different in different regions. We can get some Tandy/Leather
            Factory merchandise at places like Hobby Lobby but their selection is
            pretty worthless for the kinds of projects SCAers typically like to do
            (and more expensive to boot).
            JvS

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
              Try:

              http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/

              They are great to deal with, reasonably priced with free
              shipping within the US. They ship quickly. Never had any
              problems with them. Some SCAers get their leather from
              them. Check out the "Customer Projects" link at the bottom of
              the page.

              Conchobhar

              > Oops, sorry... The Leather Factory here bought out Tandy and I was given
              > the impression that it was a national deal with the storefront name
              > being different in different regions. We can get some Tandy/Leather
              > Factory merchandise at places like Hobby Lobby but their selection is
              > pretty worthless for the kinds of projects SCAers typically like to do
              > (and more expensive to boot).
              > JvS

            • Cyan of Storvik
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
                Tandy did try to go "all mail order" but leather is one of those
                things that varies from hyde to hyde. You really don't want to buy it
                sight unseen.
                You wouln't buy a shoe, jacket or dress specifically on verbal
                description and that is how they expected people to buy (and save
                themselves the overhead of store-front costs, employee costs etc).
                You are correct that a company based in Delaware bought out Tandy
                Leather (Not hard to due since they were tanking), by the name of The
                Leather Factory INC. or TLF but I don't believe they sell directly
                under this parent company name. TLF did start to re-open TANDY
                LEATHER stores on the eastern sea board, but not in the numbers they
                used to be.
                Unless you have a good idea of leather weights, you might wind up
                spending a lot more then just buying a ready made or custom made
                quiver.
                My first "circle belt" I think wound up costing me more then buying
                one ready made. Especially after you buy packets of studs, awls,
                rivets, needles, hardware etc. A circle belt is $20-$25 from most
                vendors. I walked out of the store with a bag of stuff and a receipt
                for $55.00!! (Scratching my head on that one).
                I personally spent $59 on a very nice stiff tube 24 arrow back quiver
                with shiny metal studs all over it. Don't get me wrong. Great price
                as most all leather quivers tend to be in the 80+ range...Beautiful,
                but much too sophisticated for my persona.
                If you are making a SOFT quiver, my suggestion is that you go to a
                thrift shop and pickup an old leather coat. You should be able to
                pick it up for a song. Add some leather stiching cord, leather lacing
                or rivets to seal up the bottom and make it look more "hand done" and
                you've got yourself a beautiful soft back quiver. The body of the
                coat will give you plenty of soft leather for other projects. Leave
                it outside (not in the rain!) for a more distressed look, or flip the
                top grain leather over for a suede or split grain look.
                Tandy does sell 1 lb. bags of leather scrap (~$4 or $5 bag). If you
                love to sew, you can stich yourself a patchwork quiver. Very rustic,
                and it's what I plan to do for a LOTR style quiver like the Ithilian
                rangers and Aragorn used.
                -Cyan
              • greywolfe64@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
                  Look for a Tandy Leather in your area. There they will sell remnants. I did
                  my first two quivers from these pieces and they have worked out well. If not
                  check their website they may sell remnants there.

                  Ronan mac Cormack

                • Terry Varner

                    The Leather Factory where I live sells leather furniture so unless you
                    bring
                    a knife and secretly liberate strips of leather that will do no good. I

                    thought Tandy was strictly mail-order / web based now.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Tegwared McAuley (mka Terry Varner)
                    Loch Ruadh Archery Marshall

                  • Sherry Bishop
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 27, 2004
                      Just wanted to thank everyone for posting info on
                      leather sources! I will be in the E.Hartford area in a
                      few weeks so I'll probably hit up the Tandy store
                      there :)

                      Seonaid MacPhie
                      Barony of Smoking Rocks/Dragon's Heorth

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                    • Carolus Eulenhorst
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2004
                        The Leather Factory now owns Tandy Leather. The Leather Factory stores
                        tend to be more oriented to business sales and they are opening new Tandy
                        outlets targeting hobbyists.
                        Carolus

                        On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:06:40 EDT blockflute1@... writes:

                        > The Leather Factory where I live sells leather furniture so unless
                        > you bring
                        > a knife and secretly liberate strips of leather that will do no
                        > good. I
                        > thought Tandy was strictly mail-order / web based now.

                        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • Bjorn Gunnbjornsen