Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA Archery Coaching

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
      Not knowing what area you are from I can only speak in generalities. The
      SCA like any volunteer organization, has good and bad points. There are
      many excellent teachers in the SCA that are offering their time to help
      others. There are also a few that think they know what they are talking
      about, and in fact don't.

      You best bet is attend practices in your area. That is where you are
      most likely to find teachers. Talk to those you see teaching and see for
      your self who's teaching style works for you. And somewhere in there you
      might even find someone with archer coaching credentials outside the SCA
      also :)

      Njall

      misasai wrote:

      >Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
      >Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
      >offensive in the question)
      >
      >I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
      >for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
      >the line who they learn under.
      >

      >James Everglad (stuck in an archery rutt)

    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
        For the most part the SCA is good at what it does. But to "TAKE it to the
        next level" you need to go to outside help.This is true for most of the arts
        , Blacksmithing, Pottery, act. We just don't have that many experts. Learn
        where you can then adapt it for the SCA game.
        Damales

        > Not knowing what area you are from I can only speak in generalities. The
        > SCA like any volunteer organization, has good and bad points. There are
        > many excellent teachers in the SCA that are offering their time to help
        > others. There are also a few that think they know what they are talking
        > about, and in fact don't.
        >
        > You best bet is attend practices in your area. That is where you are
        > most likely to find teachers. Talk to those you see teaching and see for
        > your self who's teaching style works for you. And somewhere in there you
        > might even find someone with archer coaching credentials outside the SCA
        > also :)
        >
        > Njall
        >
        > misasai wrote:
        >
        > >Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
        > >Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
        > >offensive in the question)
        > >
        > >I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
        > >for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
        > >the line who they learn under.
        > >

        > >James Everglad (stuck in an archery rutt)

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
          First I would try asking the local SCA archers. They may know of someone
          who coaches. If that fails, try asking the NAA coaches. They may know if
          someone in your area specializes in traditional coaching. Of course they
          may not also. At least in my area you can find people who do both. Where
          are you?

          Nest

          --- misasai <Misasai@...> wrote:

          > Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
          > Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
          > offensive in the question)
          >
          > I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
          > for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
          > the line who they learn under.
          >

          > James Everglad (stuck in an archery rutt)

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • RJ Bachner
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
            Many of the members of the House of the broken axe are sags and accomplished archers as well we
            coach while on the line and if asked off it. A large part of shooting in the barony is with newbies
            and folks that need a helping hand.

            I f ya see the banner of the broken axe at an event you can approach any of us and we will be glad
            to help.

            Of course, The Barony of Isle du Dragon Dormant is kinda remote and we do not go to many events per
            say.....

            we can be convinced to travel sometimes as well.

            Herre Ragi "warm Bear" WulÞarsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
            (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

            Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
            ragi@...

            Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
            www.diy.brokenaxe.ca
            and the shoppe @
            www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

            House of the broken axe.
            www.brokenaxe.ca

            On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:48:27 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

            >Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
            >Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
            >offensive in the question)
            >
            >I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
            >for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
            >the line who they learn under.
            >

            >James Everglad (stuck in an archery rutt)

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Carl West
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 26, 2004
              misasai wrote:

              > Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
              > Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
              > offensive in the question)
              >
              > I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
              > for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
              > the line who they learn under.

              Yeah, don't ask them on the line. Wait until they're done shooting the
              end and have stepped back. ;)

              At virtually every SCA archery practice you'll find several people
              willing to watch you and give you advice. Almost as many as there are
              people there.

              Seriously:
              In the East there are no official coaches per se. There are people who
              are generally known to be good teachers and they can usually be asked
              for help. Ask around and you should be able to find such a person that
              shoots/teaches the style you want somewhere relatively near you.

              -- Fritz

              Carl West
              mailto:carl.west@...
              http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
            • Seán Moore
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 27, 2004
                The Traditional Archery Society of Ireland (TASI) has traditional archery
                coaches and promotes the use of period bows and archery.

                There are a number of TASI coaches and also a number of traditional archers
                in Ireland who only shoot traditional methods and equipment.
                Quite a few members of the British Long~bow Society also shoot, albeit
                modern made, period equipment and with period techniques.

                Se�n
                TASI Coach
                BLBS International Organiser, Field Safety Officer and Coach
                GNAS/ FITA Level 1 Coach

                ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
                Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro
              • Sharon Macielinski
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                  I agree with this... I've found an excellent coach who is a traditional bow hunter with teaching experience and 20 yrs archery experience. There is still a fair amount of traditional bow hunters in the country; granted you might wind up on a 3D target range like I did today, but these guys really know their stuff... if they don't hit the target just right then they're chasing a wounded animal all over kingdom come or have wasted an entire day sitting in a tree!

                  Side note: I am not a fan of hunting necessarily, but the principal of the "traditional archery hunters" is to give the animal a "fair" chance... kinda makes sense. Also, it was neat shooting out in the woods on this trail, no other people around (yeah that would be dangerous), and thinking back to what hunters went through for supper in the Middle Ages.

                  SCA has the targets (Robin Hood style), the dummy soldier(s) to shoot at, and the castle window. I also heard rumor of using blunted arrows to shoot at other armored live people... no stories from Pennsic on that though, if it exists there? I have not heard any kind of mock hunting trial... Depends on the kingdom/area? Enlightenments?

                  Best wishes,
                  Alestra (K of Atlantia)

                  Dan Scheid <damales@...> wrote:
                  For the most part the SCA is good at what it does. But to "TAKE it to the
                  next level" you need to go to outside help.This is true for most of the arts
                  , Blacksmithing, Pottery, act. We just don't have that many experts. Learn
                  where you can then adapt it for the SCA game.
                  Damales

                  > Not knowing what area you are from I can only speak in generalities. The
                  > SCA like any volunteer organization, has good and bad points. There are
                  > many excellent teachers in the SCA that are offering their time to help
                  > others. There are also a few that think they know what they are talking
                  > about, and in fact don't.
                  >
                  > You best bet is attend practices in your area. That is where you are
                  > most likely to find teachers. Talk to those you see teaching and see for
                  > your self who's teaching style works for you. And somewhere in there you
                  > might even find someone with archer coaching credentials outside the SCA
                  > also :)
                  >
                  > Njall
                  >
                  > misasai wrote:
                  >
                  > >Are there any SCA archery Coaches that teach traditional archery????
                  > >Is there such a thing as a period archery coach?? (trying not to be
                  > >offensive in the question)
                  > >
                  > >I can find coaches for FITA and NAA but I am not sure where to look
                  > >for traditional coaches and an event is not the place to ask others on
                  > >the line who they learn under.
                  > >

                  > >James Everglad (stuck in an archery rutt)

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Lord Cain Saethydd
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                    Well James, damn good question.

                    There are a great many archers in the SCA who have 'Taken it to
                    the Next Level'. There a few coaches who can 'Take you to the next
                    level and BEYOND!'. Problem is, finding one in your location (where
                    ever that may be).

                    Baron Master Blackarrow has held the World Traditional Title,
                    mundanely. As well as a few national and state titles. His cousin,
                    Lady Marquarite, has held the national traditional title, with just
                    a few short weeks of training under him. She is also a wonderful
                    instructor. I trained a small shire in target archery several years
                    back, 5 made bowmaster, most made forrester. In Atenveldt, those are
                    not easy ranks to make. This little shire had more bowmasters than
                    all of the remaining kingdom, combined.

                    Training is a commitment. Not to your instructor, but a commitment
                    to yourself. Great strides can be done in as little as 3 sessions a
                    week. Expect criticism. A good instructor will build on your strong
                    points, as well as help you to overcome the weak areas.

                    If you are able to shoot each day, 100 arrows, you will see a
                    remarkable improvement. Your form may be a true sight to behold, but
                    you will improve. A key to training without a Coach is diversity. Do
                    not limit your self to the set distances of 20, 30 and 40 yards.
                    Also, if you are not a great shot, train more at the close
                    distances.

                    Be well aware, that if you step back to 25 yards and shoot for 30
                    arrows, then step up to the 20 yard mark, you grouping should indeed
                    be better. I would recommend starting at a close distance, then
                    moving back. As the practice winds down, move closer. This will show
                    you how well you are improving. The best side of doing this is this:
                    It will leave you feeling good about your session, and wanting to
                    come out again!

                    I cannot stress enough the need to practice during all types of
                    weather, rain included. That competition you really want to win may
                    just have to be held in the rain. I shot the Known World Archery
                    Championship while ankel deep in heavy rain. Even won.

                    These are but a few pointers.

                    Cain

                    Bowmaster Elite (101-109), Atenveldt
                    Apprentice to Baron Blackarrow (the other Bowmaster Elite)
                  • blkknighti@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                      M'lady,
                      the rumours of "blunted arrows to shoot at other armored live people" are
                      TRUE! Its called combat archery and there is a yahoo list specifically for that
                      [SCA-MissileCombat] . There was combat archery at Pennsic and it was great fun
                      and although it really doesn't belong on this list here's a brief story of CA
                      from Pennsic:
                      And now for a really cool story. When the East was attacking I began on the
                      bridge when some heavies came to me complaining about a particularly pesky
                      crossbowman having his way with our guys heading to the west (left) gate. I
                      came
                      over and they pointed him out. We exchanged a couple rounds and a lady SW
                      offered cover with her shield as I would reload. after a few close exchanges
                      spanned my bow and was putting a bolt in and saw him getting a bead on me. I
                      rose
                      and took aim... he relaesed first and I released....to the amazement of all
                      ...our bolts collided in mid air about fifteen   feet from the ground!
                      Well a din arose and a young spearman queried "Did you do that on purpose
                      m'lord?"
                      I said, " Of course!... see if you shoot the arrow out of the air it can't
                      hit
                      you!"
                      He said 'Whoahhh...You're good!"
                      I did explain I was kidding and was advised that when I relate this tale in
                      the future not to admit it was shear luck. Yet, I would really like to know
                      the
                      name of my worthy opponent whose arrow " I shot out of the air" . Anyone?

                      Richard Woodenbridge

                      In a message dated 8/29/04 10:49:06 PM, ariel_elronds_daughter@...
                      writes:

                      > I also heard rumor of using blunted arrows to shoot at other armored live
                      > people... no stories from Pennsic on that though, if it exists there?

                    • Carolus Eulenhorst
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 30, 2004
                        We have an event (local war) in Caid which has made use of a 3d range
                        spread through a canyon. Lots of fun. Been working on a way to tie it
                        to the combat in that the archers must provide the food for their troops.
                        Maybe more food means more lives for your side or something like that.
                        Carolus

                        On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:45:28 -0700 (PDT) Sharon Macielinski

                        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • J. Hughes
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30, 2004
                          Actually, a "woods walk" is a standard thing for many
                          archery championships. Both the champion shoot for the
                          war point and the champion shoot for the Youth archery
                          at Pennsic had wood walks that presented targets in
                          the settings of hunting. I have also seen a number of
                          times creative use of moving targets on such shoots.

                          Charles O'Connor
                          --- Sharon Macielinski