Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: Instinctive shooting

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
      This seems more in line with my experience. when stump shooting, 3D
      shooting, or hunting there is a bigger target or "kill" area. A hit
      anywhere within this area counts. Only one shot is needed. pure
      instinct comes more into play here. In typical target shooting (be it
      rounds or other types) repeatability and precision placement of multiple
      shots is more important. This seems to be at the core of much of the
      disagreement between styles in shooters here. There are those like
      Macsen who dislike the repeat shooting of targets and (I hope I speak
      correctly for you Macsen, but this is what your posts sound like) prefer
      the "Ok, I hit it (or missed it), let's get on to the next shot" style of
      the hunter in the field. Then there are those who prefer the technical
      approach of "I did id once, let's see if I can do it again" approach
      which ultimately ends in the modern Olympic style where the variations of
      equipment are reduced to the barest minimum and the technical skill of
      repeating one shot becomes the goal. Both valid styles. Both fun.
      Carolus

      On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:33:46 -0600 Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
      <archergodwin@...> writes:

      > I liken what I call my "instinctive" shooting, more to muscle
      > memory.
      > Why we practice, is to keep our muscles trained as to what it
      > "feels"
      > like to shoot a given target or distance.
      >
      > Both eyes are on the target, and the bow with nocked arrow is in the
      >
      > peripheral vision. You nock, draw, hold, put muscles in position by
      >
      > where the position of them and the bow/arrow "feels" right,
      > release....but I never directly look at the bow or arrow.
      >
      > Instinctive shooting is hard to describe, because I think there is a
      >
      > different experience possibly, for the person who shoots that way.
      >
      > I have to "aim" much more when shooting round targets at given
      > distances, than if I am shooting stumps or a 3D rover.
      >
      > my haypenny.
      >
      > Godwin

      > list]
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links