"Natural fletching"

  • F J Villafranca III
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2000
      Greetings to all Archers, Fletchers, Bowyers, and interested parties !

      This is Eshtban from the Shire of Tre' Lac (San Angelo) in
      Ansteorra. Just a short note to gather some info on how ya'lls (sorry -
      you alls - guess I've been in West Texas too long <g, s>) prepare real
      feathers - not horse feathers - after their removal from the willing /
      unwilling donor. ie.: cutting out vs plucking out, any special
      preparation or recipes used to metamorphosize the feathers into some
      fine fletching, etc.
      As an additional question, what were the results, if any, of not
      using the suggested fletching patterns of right-wing for right draw and
      left-wing for left draw. I have the three volumes of the "Bowyer's
      Bibles", but this information was contradicted in two volumes; so how
      about experiences from fellow Archers ? Not that I really mind making a
      batch of arrows, actually I enjoy it but if there is no major
      differences, perhaps I'll re-use / recycle my right-wings. I have been
      considering becoming a "southpaw" shooter due to some grease and
      bearings problems affecting my right draw. BTW, I am a longbow / flatbow
      / recurve-type archer.

      Preserving the Archer's Deam.

      Eshtban il Andalus
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
        Greetings Eshtban il Andalus

        I remember a few fine days fly Tweets in and out of San Angelo Int.
        Speaking of birds and wings and making things fly strait. Most of the
        members of Havenholde make and use a lot of bolts and arrows see:
        http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html and we do not see much difference
        in right and left wing. We are all right handed and my crossbows are
        ambidexterous(sp) (Joke). We use mostly left because we can get more colors
        from Three Rivers: http://www.3riversarchery.com/ . Sorry I cnanot help you
        much with feather prep... I am still trying to figure it out but I do know
        that Goose feathers are best cut off(the geese like it better) as soon after
        they grow in after molt. and are a lot softer than Turkey.

        James Cunningham

        Good shooting
      • Susan Kell
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
          Greetings, Eshtban & other friends -
          I agree with what Streitan replied on this topic, and would add:

          After "harvesting" the feathers, store with with mothballs to prevent them
          being eaten by the parasites that live on them.

          Right-wing for right-handed and left-wing for left-handed is nothing more
          than "religion". Those who espouse it, believe it fervantly. In my
          experience, it is not a necessary matching. What is important is that you
          don't mix feathers of the two types on the same arrow or bolt -- as Master
          David McDougall always said, "arrows can't flap when they fly"... Also,
          if someone has been effectively shooting with one type of feather and
          needs to switch to the other, they will probably need to adjust their
          nocking point (so the new type of feather clears the rest properly). Of
          course, the type of feather also affects the fletcher's jig set-up.

          Li and I use left-wing feathers exclusively. We have found that they are
          slightly less expensive. Our students and customers of both handedness
          have had no trouble with left-wing fletch.

          Good luck, and happy hunting!
          -- Ygraine