Re: [SCA-Archery] A tip on longbow arrows

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 11, 2004
      Harry Bilings wrote:

      > I would guess that that heavy a tip effectively lighten that spine weigh a lot. If you like them that is what counts.
      > plachoya
      > humble archer
      > Ravens Fort Ansteorra
      >
      > For me, 30" 65#-spine maple shafts with 218 grain bodkins fly beautifuly
      > out of a 55# shelfless longbow.

      The object of the game is to get the shaft to bend the right amount at
      the right time/place as it leaves the bow.

      Probably less confusing to say that the heavier head bends the shaft
      more. So you need a stiffer shaft for a heavier head so that the bend
      happens the way you want it. Or a heavier head to bend the shaft more if
      it's not bending enough.

      If the adjustment s small, a change in brace height will help. (so long
      as the bow isn't center-shot)

      It's so easy to get this stuff wrapped around your head the wrong way...

      --

      Carl West
      mailto:carl.west@...
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 25, 2004