Inuit Bow?

  • Lord Cain Saethydd
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
      I have a pressing dilema.

      I have found/obtained (been given) a bow, one which I believe is
      Inuit. It can be dated to at least 1863, the date it was added to
      the collection.

      The Bow: 5 pieces of bone, Sinew backed (cabled), 3 pieces make
      the bow and 2 pieces make the handle, the 3 pieces are held to each
      other by sinew sewn through the ends-forming pivot points, the
      handle is rawhide wrapped. Total length is less than 36 inches.
      Prolly closer to 30 inches.

      Seems like it would of been Exceedingly powerful. I have read or
      seen something on this bow, just cannot recall where. It does not
      resemble the bows in Grey Goose Wing.

      The bow is a rare find, especialy for one in this excellent a
      shape.

      thank you,

      Cain
      Can anyone help me in identifying this wonderful piece?
    • Robert Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
        At 08:21 PM 8/9/04 +0000, you wrote:

        > I have a pressing dilema.
        >
        > I have found/obtained (been given) a bow, one which I believe is
        >Inuit. It can be dated to at least 1863, the date it was added to
        >the collection.
        ><snip>
        >
        > Cain
        > Can anyone help me in identifying this wonderful piece?

        Try sending a digital picture of it to the curator of the Garyson Archery
        Collection at the University of Missouri. Send it to
        anthromuseum@....

        The Grayson Collection is well worth a stop if you are ever passing by
        Columbia MO on I-70. Check out
        http://coas.missouri.edu/anthromuseum/grayson/grayson.html

        Chidiock

      • John Rossignol
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
          You may want to contact the museum staff of the University of Alaska at
          Fairbanks. The Inuit are eastern Eskimo, not Alsakan, but I'll bet that
          the museum curator can point you to one of his collegues at a Canadian
          university.

          Here is a URL with contacts for the UoA musem:
          http://www.uaf.edu/museum/info/staff.html

          John

          Lord Cain Saethydd wrote:

          > I have a pressing dilema.
          >
          > I have found/obtained (been given) a bow, one which I believe is
          >Inuit. It can be dated to at least 1863, the date it was added to
          >the collection.
          >
          > The Bow: 5 pieces of bone, Sinew backed (cabled), 3 pieces make
          >the bow and 2 pieces make the handle, the 3 pieces are held to each
          >other by sinew sewn through the ends-forming pivot points, the
          >handle is rawhide wrapped. Total length is less than 36 inches.
          >Prolly closer to 30 inches.
          >
          > Seems like it would of been Exceedingly powerful. I have read or
          >seen something on this bow, just cannot recall where. It does not
          >resemble the bows in Grey Goose Wing.
          >
          > The bow is a rare find, especialy for one in this excellent a
          >shape.
          >
          > thank you,
          >
          > Cain
          > Can anyone help me in identifying this wonderful piece?

        • Scott Jaqua
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2004
            Not sure if it's this months issue, I don't recall seeing in the
            "reading room" before last night. But Smithsonian Magazine has a nice
            article on the William Tell legend. Brings up some interesting stuff
            concerning how the legend is tied to Swiss independence and how it in
            fact might be based in part of a older Viking legend.

            Njall
          • J. Hughes
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 23, 2004
              I was very disappointed with the Smithsonian article.
              It said nothing new that had not been said in an
              article from the very early 20th century. It also said
              nothing about crossbows or their role in Swiss
              history...

              Charles O'Connor
              --- Scott Jaqua <jaqua@...> wrote:

              > Not sure if it's this months issue, I don't recall
              > seeing in the
              > "reading room" before last night. But Smithsonian
              > Magazine has a nice
              > article on the William Tell legend. Brings up some
              > interesting stuff
              > concerning how the legend is tied to Swiss
              > independence and how it in
              > fact might be based in part of a older Viking
              > legend.
              >
              > Njall

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Scott Jaqua
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
                Pardon the brain fade, but I can't remember............

                How many degrees is the taper that is cut on the arrow shaft to receive
                the point? I need to make a tool, so the best measurement would be the
                total angle at the tip of the resulting cone.

                Njall
              • Kristine Casper
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
                  That depends on the type of point used, as they can vary significantly. If
                  you're using standard field points, 10 degrees seems to works well for me.

                  Pardon the brain fade, but I can't remember............

                  How many degrees is the taper that is cut on the arrow shaft to receive
                  the point? I need to make a tool, so the best measurement would be the
                  total angle at the tip of the resulting cone.

                  Njall

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Cyan of Storvik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
                    My tips have a taper of 6° (just so happens I lost a tip today and
                    have an angle gauge handy).
                    -Cyan

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Scott Jaqua <jaqua@c...> wrote:
                    > Pardon the brain fade, but I can't remember............
                    >
                    > How many degrees is the taper that is cut on the arrow shaft to
                    receive
                    > the point? I need to make a tool, so the best measurement would be
                    the
                    > total angle at the tip of the resulting cone.
                    >
                    > Njall
                  • Guy Taylor
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
                      Industry standard is 5 degrees for the tip.

                      Guy

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Scott Jaqua <jaqua@c...> wrote:
                      > Pardon the brain fade, but I can't remember............
                      >
                      > How many degrees is the taper that is cut on the arrow shaft to
                      receive
                      > the point? I need to make a tool, so the best measurement would be
                      the
                      > total angle at the tip of the resulting cone.
                      >
                      > Njall
                    • Scott Jaqua
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
                        Thanks. I got the base of my tool forged last night and will work on
                        drawing out the taper tonight. With luck I be up and running making
                        bodkins at GWW.

                        Njall

                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                          Greetings,
                          As has been written here before: industry standards for taper on
                          points is 5 (five) degrees. The industry standard for tapers for nocks,
                          it is 15 (fifteen) degrees.
                          All tapering tools that you purchase in archery pro-shops are made
                          to those standards. This being a free society, you may make your tapers
                          any way ya darn well please, but if you are using commercially available
                          tapering tools and nocks and points, you will be well advised to use the
                          existing standards.
                          -Geoffrei