make my own bow

  • Llywelyn ap Iowerth
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hello my name is Michael (mundane name) / Llywelyn (persona name). I am still new to the SCA and also to Archery. I do not have a lot of money being the only breadwinner in my family. Never the less I would still like to get into archery. While looking for a bow to buy I found some web-sites that shows pictures of other people making bow. So I was hoping that that someone in this group knows a detailed web-site or a book on how to make a longbow. There must be something out there that can show someone how do make a longbow without any special wood working tools. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

      Llywelyn

    • RJ Bachner
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
        On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:26:52 -0700 (PDT), you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

        >Hello my name is Michael (mundane name) / Llywelyn (persona name). I am still new to the SCA and also to Archery. I do not have a lot of money being the only breadwinner in my family. Never the less I would still like to get into archery. While looking for a bow to buy I found some web-sites that shows pictures of other people making bow. So I was hoping that that someone in this group knows a detailed web-site or a book on how to make a longbow. There must be something out there that can show someone how do make a longbow without any special wood working tools. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.
        >
        >Llywelyn

        Ok best resounces for you are ther 3 volumes of the boyers bibles by Bois d'arc press and can be had
        through amazon or other big book sellers and "the bent Stick" by Paul comstock. it can be had
        through 3 rivers archery (www.3riversarchery.com)

        The best websites for chatting with other archers and asking questions are first

        the leatherwall (http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm)

        PaleoPlanet ( http://b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529 )

        traditional archery (http://p072.ezboard.com/btraditionalarchery )

        If you feel like it, you can subscribe to primitive archer magazine and have access to thier
        excellent articles and a great chat board that seems to be more freindly than the leatherwall and a
        little less busy. I highly reccomend you get this mad if ya can, it is more suited to a medievalist
        or Scadian than traditional archery. www.primitivearcher.com

        From there, there are many places that give good basic instructions online but if you get and read
        the boyers bibles you will get a better idea of what to do.

        RJ Bachner ( Ragi warmbear)
        Brokenaxe Archery
        7451 St Jacques west #2
        Montreal Quebec Canada
        H4B 1W7

        514-481-9116 between 9am and 9pm est.
        www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

        ragi@...
      • Dan Scheid
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
          the bowyers bible vol 1-3 but you will spend more then buying a bow.
          Damales

        • blockflute1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
            Somewhere on one of the SCA archery sites is a plan for a longbow but all you
            really need is an eye to find straight grained wood (if you are going to make
            a bow from a board as opposed to a stave) I have been successful using the
            hickory handles for hoes or shovels from home depot but you have to sort
            through a lot of them to find one without grain runout.

          • RJ Bachner
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
              On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:21:00 -0400, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

              >On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:26:52 -0700 (PDT), you, with reckless abandon, wrote:
              >
              >>Hello my name is Michael (mundane name) / Llywelyn (persona name). I am still new to the SCA and also to Archery. I do not have a lot of money being the only breadwinner in my family. Never the less I would still like to get into archery. While looking for a bow to buy I found some web-sites that shows pictures of other people making bow. So I was hoping that that someone in this group knows a detailed web-site or a book on how to make a longbow. There must be something out there that can show someone how do make a longbow without any special wood working tools. I would appreciate any help anyone could give.
              >>
              >>Llywelyn
              >
              >Ok best resounces for you are ther 3 volumes of the boyers bibles by Bois d'arc press and can be had
              >through amazon or other big book sellers and "the bent Stick" by Paul comstock. it can be had
              >through 3 rivers archery (www.3riversarchery.com)
              >
              >The best websites for chatting with other archers and asking questions are first
              >
              >the leatherwall (http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm)
              >
              >PaleoPlanet ( http://b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529 )
              >
              >traditional archery (http://p072.ezboard.com/btraditionalarchery )
              >
              >If you feel like it, you can subscribe to primitive archer magazine and have access to thier
              >excellent articles and a great chat board that seems to be more freindly than the leatherwall and a
              >little less busy. I highly reccomend you get this mad if ya can, it is more suited to a medievalist
              >or Scadian than traditional archery. www.primitivearcher.com
              >
              >From there, there are many places that give good basic instructions online but if you get and read
              >the boyers bibles you will get a better idea of what to do.
              >
              >RJ Bachner ( Ragi warmbear)
              >Brokenaxe Archery
              >7451 St Jacques west #2
              >Montreal Quebec Canada
              >H4B 1W7
              >
              >514-481-9116 between 9am and 9pm est.
              >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca
              >
              >ragi@...

              Ok now that I have more time.

              If you have never made a bow before and ya wanna get started there are some things you should be
              aware of, if you want to make a longbow. Longbows can be many different shapes other than the
              classic d shaped "english long bow" infact unless you can get yer hands on good yew from the pacific
              northwest or osage from the south/central US a longbow as you have in mind will not be the best
              choice. Design in bowmaking depends an awful lot on the wood you have in hand so before you set yer
              heart on a specific design, find out about what wood is available to you in your locale.

              a classic longbow requires a wood that is capable of taking a lot of compression forces and most
              good bow woods do not have it in them. Yew and Osage being notable exceptions. Now a different
              desing is needed for bows of other woods and that is normally what we call a flat bow. The limbs are
              long like a longbow but instead of narrow and thick they are wide and thin. This is the style of bow
              I like to make and they are based on older styles than the medieval longbow.

              Now any hardwood can be used and in fact a few softwoods as well as long as your design matches the
              properties of the wood. best all around starter wood is probably Hickory but you have to watch that
              it is dry enough when you use it. White and Red Oak are also good choices as are White Ash, Rock
              Maple and Birch. All of these can be had at a lumber yard or found in the woods, there are many
              other choices but these are common.

              There is so much to know about before you start I would suggest you get someone who has made a bunch
              of bows to go looking for wood with you.

              If you have any specific questions please feel free to email me or ask the list, some of these guys
              even sound like they know what theyu are talking about. :)

              Read everything ya can first. best advice I can give..

              Ragi
            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2004
                The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles are great but can be a bit
                intimidating for a novice bowyer. A board bow is often the easiest
                way to start.

                Here is Jawge board bow buildalong link.
                http://www.angelfire.com/magic/jawge/boardbowbuildalong.html

                This is Tim Baker's instructions. No pictures but clear
                instructions including how to season whitewood if you decide to
                chop a tree down instead of buying a board.
                http://www.women-outdoors.com/traditional/firstbow.htm

                If you decide to do a board bow, selecting the right board is
                crucial. Be prepared to walk away from woodpile empty handed.

                As for tools, I use either a drawknife or spokeshave for initial
                shaping. For tillering I use a farrier's rasp and a cabinet scraper.

                Costs. Hmmm. If you keep to minimum tools, you can probably
                keep the tool cost to below $50. Some primitive types like to do
                everything with a hatchet. A board will cost you $10. A real stave
                in hickory might set you back $40. Osage Orange will be a bit
                more and a Yew stave will cost you more than most bows. Of
                course, you can just go an cut down your own tree. I live in an
                urban area so chopping trees down in parks is heavily
                discouraged. And, it is fairly standard for the beginning bowyer
                to fail in his first few bows. Each bow will probably take you
                anywhere from 15 to 30 hours to complete.

                Bottom line is that, if your main interest is in shooting, then I
                would recommend you shop around for a cheap bow. If the idea
                of actually making a bow really appeals, go for it. But don't get
                fooled into thinking it saves you money. Like any hobby, you will
                find yourself spending as much money on it as you save.

                James Wolfden

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Llywelyn ap Iowerth