Re: Bow Categories

  • momochitakezo67
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 31, 2004
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hawley"
      <daniel_hawley@y...> wrote:
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Cain Saethydd"
      > <capt_cain@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ummm, is not a selfbow. Five pieces, laminate of bamboo, if
      > > constructed same as Daikyu/Great Bow.
      > >
      > > Cain
      > >
      > True, it's not a self-bow, but all the laminates are wood or
      bamboo,
      > there is no artificial material used. All but one of my longbows
      are
      > laminated, but since they are all wood, they are longbows, and
      > acceptable as such under BLBS rules. Self bows are either too
      > expensive for me (Decent Yew) or don't give the performance /
      > longevity I want from a bow. (English Yew / Lemonwood / Hickory
      etc)

      > I would never claim that a Yumi is a Longbow, but if I had to
      > catorgorise it, I think that it is closer to the English Longbow
      > than any other weapon than I can think of.
      >
      > Daniel
      Greetings to all on the list,
      I am hoping that I my be able to help clarify what in fact a
      Yumi is. First let me introduce myself. My name is Date no Momochi
      Takezo. I'm a 12 year japanese personea in the Eastern Kingdom.
      And yes, I own a Yumi. Histrically the Japanese have always refered
      to their bow as a longbow/long bow. It started out as, basically a
      long (7') one piece constructed piece of catalpa wood back around 3
      a.d., was center griped. Sometime after that they started to
      laminate the bow and place the grip more off center. Now a days
      there can be as many as 5 laminations (a combination of bamboo and
      wood) between the back and belly of the bow (which is made out of
      bamboo).
      Now as far as classification. Why shouldn't it be placed with
      all other longbows/long bow's. The Yumi is Japans' version of what
      other countries developed.

      Date no Momochi Takezo
    • J. Hughes
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 24, 2004
        The Teutonic Knights regularly used whistling bolts
        from their crossbows in their Baltic wars. They were
        not only distracting to the enemy, but more so to the
        enemy horses. There was even a programed reaction.
        Those who has seen the sky darkened and the massed
        sound before knew what the next thing was, those bolts
        landing. Panic was often the result.

        Charles O'Connor

        --- Tessa the Huntress

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush