Re: longbow vs ...

  • agincort@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      > Nest verch Tangwistel wrote: "In the SCA they rarely run competitions
      that differentiate between recurves, longbows and crossbows. They all
      shoot together. It is the highest score that usually wins the day. Now
      before you think that means that the crossbows always win, then the
      recurves and finally the longbows come in last, that doesn't happen much.
      Crossbows do have an advantage over the other 2 in untimed known distance
      shooting, ..."
      Mostly true. A while back, I beat an excellent crossbowman with a
      recurve, because about half the shoot was unknown distances (Aethelmearc
      war practice). I just had a better day. Some other time, he wins. You can
      have shoots that naturally favor one weapon or another, but they don't
      have to.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Take thou no scorn to wear the horn; It was a crest ere thou wast born"
      - As You Like It Act 4, Scene II