Re: crossbows vs longbows vs recurves

  • Mike Hornbaker
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 28, 2004
      Here in Calontir, we have run many shoots where crossbows, longbows and
      recurves are separated and compete against like kind bows. This has been
      done for several years. At our kingdom war, Lillies, this year, we did
      have a grinder where all three bow forms were used. A crossbow shooter
      won that shoot.

      Michael

      > Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:
      >
      > >In the SCA they rarely run competitions that differentiate between
      > >recurves, longbows and crossbows. They all shoot together. It is
      > the
      > >highest score that usually wins the day. Now before you think that
      > means
      > >that the crossbows always win, then the recurves and finally the
      > longbows
      > >come in last, that doesn't happen much. Crossbows do have an
      > advantage
      > >over the other 2 in untimed known distance shooting, but the
      > recurve has
      > >the edge in a timed shoot. The skill of the shooter is more
      > important than
      > >the type of bow. A great shooter with a longbow is still goig to
      > beat a
      > >mediocre recurve shooter. The system works out pretty well if the
      > shots
      > >designer uses a variety of different target types.
      > >
      > >Some shoots do divide the bows up. For instance the IKAC rounds are
      > >subdvivded into bow types. At Pennsic last year I believe they had
      > a shoot
      > >which pitted crossbows against the other 2 types.
      > >
      > >Nest
      > >--- Sharon Macielinski <ariel_elronds_daughter@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >>Anyone,
      > >>
      > >>I am new to SCA, so I am wondering are there different
      > >>champion or competition groups for the 3 different
      > >>bows? Can someone have less accurate shots with a
      > >>longbow and still be a champion on the longbow? Or do
      > >>you just have to have the highest points overall?
      > >>
      > >>Curious,
      > >>Alestra (Sharon)

      > >Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.
      > >http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

      > list]
      > >
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > list]
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • J. Hughes
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 24 10:29 AM
        The Teutonic Knights regularly used whistling bolts
        from their crossbows in their Baltic wars. They were
        not only distracting to the enemy, but more so to the
        enemy horses. There was even a programed reaction.
        Those who has seen the sky darkened and the massed
        sound before knew what the next thing was, those bolts
        landing. Panic was often the result.

        Charles O'Connor

        --- Tessa the Huntress

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush