Re: [SCA-Archery] Longbow Champions?

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2004
      > This thing is sometimes seen as a mixed blessing. It does indeed
      >give people of approximately equal skill levels the opportunity to
      >compete with each other and thus hone skills in a milieu that helps
      >build confidence and doesn't overwhelm. But I also have to say that
      >many senior archers get a bit grumpy and irritable when they have the
      >experience of walking out to the range and either having everyone look
      >at them and softly groan and then begin packing up because, after all,
      >what chance has one when HE is around - or walking up to the range and
      >immediately being segregated into a small group of people you know
      >almost as well as your own family and have been shooting against for
      >the last 12 years. It really is a bit of a problem, trying to provide a
      >good mix of different kinds of archers while not presenting a list in
      >which some archers would feel hopelessly outclassed. There are no
      >standard remedies in place yet, that I know of.
      >
      >Nigel FitzMaurice

      This bring to mind a couple of points. I am also of two minds on the
      whole ranking thing. I dislike rankings because they are too much like
      merit badges. Certainly the way some people and groups attach importance
      to the rankings. But, in that they form a goal for an archer to measure
      themselves against, they can be a good thing.

      Also if anyone on the range can only have a good time by winning, then
      they are there for the wrong reasons. Ultimately, everyone except for
      one person present is going to loose.

      Should heavy fighters pack up and leave because Duke So-and-so enters
      lists? Or should rapier fighters issue a whale dejected sigh, because
      Don Whosy Whatsitz shows up?

      One of the best days I ever had in mundane archery was a day that I
      ended loosing to an archer on my target. We where also shooting in
      crappy wind conditions. So bad that I was cranking the windage on my
      site all the way out and aiming at the center of the next target over at
      20 yds. (wind was recorded with 40-60 mph gusts). But, none the less it
      was a pleasure to shoot with the soon to become Olympic Champion, Rick
      Mckinny. While both our scores sucked, my sucked a little less when
      compared to my average then his did. So I came much closer then I would
      have expected. In part I feel that was due to shooting with him and
      rising to the occasion.

      Njall