Re: Turkish bows

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 50 , Jul 19, 2004
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John Rossignol <giguette@p...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, Jenna. I currently shoot a Hun bow, so I had have at least
      some
      > experience with horse bows. Since you said "turkish" I will
      assume that
      > you meant specifically that. If not, however, just be aware that
      there
      > are many related styles of bow available which might fit your
      persona,
      > and might be somewhat easier to shoot (more about that below).
      >
      > A source I know for Turkish bows is Traditional Archery
      Scandinavia, who
      > market bows made by Csaba Grozier in Hungary.

      I have dealt with these people before and have been most pleased
      except that they sort of shut down in mid winter because of the
      sever Finland snow. There is an excellent picture on the site of a
      man in traditional garb with a Turkish bow. I have an Assyrian bow
      from them that is a real joy. Every one who draws it says, "Oh
      s...!" -- at 50 lbs it has a very smooth draw and no stacking -- and
      same draw weight from 28-31 inches! I use a brass thumb ring from
      them that is very effective and prevents any 'pinch'.

      kinjal
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 50 of 50 , Jul 29, 2004
        I would like to point out that it is not possible to get a true recurve
        out of a single piece of wood. Watch the movement of a "recurve" made of
        a single piece of wood and you will find that the movement of the limbs
        is shifted but still contained within the main body of the limb. A
        laminate recurve (whether of period construction or modern materials)
        will show the movement to consist of both the spring action of the limb
        (same power source as in the longbow) and the rotational spring of the
        tips. This is the difference between a non-working recurve which is just
        a longbow with bent tips and a true working recurve. In order to get
        this rotational spring, it is necessary to join two layers of material
        (can be two layers of the same wood or materials with different
        elasticities, only changes the efficiency) with differential radius
        curves. This is a fundamental change in the power delivery and will make
        a tremendous difference in the performance of the bow. Add to this the
        fact that the change in construction moves the flexible part of the limb
        away from the grip and allows stronger, less flexible material to be used
        for the riser yielding the ability to make a much deeper cutout resulting
        in a greater degree of centershot construction. This, in turn, allows a
        much more efficient flight of the arrow with less energy being put into
        bending the shaft and more into moving the arrow. There are additional
        benefits to be had by shifting from self bows to laminate (even if of two
        layers of the same wood) but that gets further away from the matter at
        hand. The fact that both constructions existed in period means that this
        is a valid comparison.

        Carolus

        On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:49:47 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        <crossbow@...> writes:
        > Which means what you are really comparing, is 'traditional' versus
        > 'modern'
        > bows ...
        >
        > Not Longbow vs. Recurve ... realize that the definition of a recurve
        > is
        > just that it has bent tips, and a longbow doesn't.
        >
        > Often a terminology thing that people get caught up on.
        >
        > So you will have people shooting modern laminate construction with a
        > small
        > shelf cut out 'longbows', and people shooting a bent wood single
        > stick
        > 'recurve'.
        >
        > So, I myself will conceed the 'traditional' vs. 'modern', that
        > modern has
        > some advantages.
        >
        > But not that the 'longbow style bow' has accuracy issues compared to
        > 'recurve style bow'. Yes, the recurve has a few things going for it
        > in
        > limb speed/etc, but nothing that affects accuracy to that much of a
        > point.
        >
        > Siegfried

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!