Just joined

  • Bridget the Stargazer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
      Greetings,

      I just joined this group. My family and I are looking into archery in
      the SCA. While I'm not new to the SCA, archery is almost completely
      foreign to me. My husband has some mundane experience with a bow. Our
      children (fraternal twin 7yo girls) just held one for the first time
      tonight (We've got a "lil sioux" bow in the closet) to see what they
      thought about learning to shoot.

      I've started reading through the messages here to learn what I can
      and hopefully avoid asking questions that have been asked previously.
      Can't guarantee I won't do that though.

      Any advice, suggestions or ideas for a family on a relatively tight
      budget would be gratefully received.

      We live in Ansteorra near the shire of Mendersham (Abilene, TX).

      Regards,
      Bridget the Stargazer
    • RJ Bachner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
        well if yer new and tightly budgeted, learn to make yer own tackle. the DIY pages were written cause
        I am in the same boat.

        www.diy.brokenaxe.ca

        now making your own bows might seem daunting but it is not. there is plenty of info out there and
        can be done for the cost of a few bouards of hickory at a good lumber yard.

        find someone to help teach yall.

        Ragi

        On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:12:58 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

        >Greetings,
        >
        >I just joined this group. My family and I are looking into archery in
        >the SCA. While I'm not new to the SCA, archery is almost completely
        >foreign to me. My husband has some mundane experience with a bow. Our
        >children (fraternal twin 7yo girls) just held one for the first time
        >tonight (We've got a "lil sioux" bow in the closet) to see what they
        >thought about learning to shoot.
        >
        >I've started reading through the messages here to learn what I can
        >and hopefully avoid asking questions that have been asked previously.
        >Can't guarantee I won't do that though.
        >
        >Any advice, suggestions or ideas for a family on a relatively tight
        >budget would be gratefully received.
        >
        >We live in Ansteorra near the shire of Mendersham (Abilene, TX).
        >
        >Regards,
        >Bridget the Stargazer

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
          Many years ago(30+) I shot in a field archery contest in Abilene. So you
          should have a couple stores and shooting ranges you can go to. First thing
          is to get with a local SCA archer to find out what is going on. If they are
          holding practices go and join in on the socializing and in no time you will
          be shooting. I still think it is best to borrow some gear to see how it
          feels and will give you the big clue on what you will want.

          James Cunningham
          Who still shoot the same bow he shot in Abilene.

          > We live in Ansteorra near the shire of Mendersham (Abilene, TX).
        • iaenmor
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
            The Western Regions Archery marshal can be reached at
            western_archery@.... Arcus Agnar lives right down the road in Big
            Spring I believe and will gladly talk to you about archer in his region and
            Ansteorra.
            Iaen Mor
            Gate's Edge
            Ansteorra