Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1681

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2004
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:24:49 -0700
      > From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      > Subject: crossbow bolts
      >
      > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
      > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
      > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
      > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
      > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
      > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
      >
      > Thank you for any help you can give
      >
      > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
      > users. ;-)
      >
      > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      > cunning of mind.

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:19:01 -0700
      > From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      > Subject: crossbow belt hook or claw
      >
      > Does anyone know of a supplier of belt hooks or claws for cocking
      > crossbows?
      >
      > Jon
      >

      > Sir Jon,

      As others have noted, experimentation is called for. With my 150# Barnett, I favor 24 inch bolts, 3 Fletch in the "standard" 120 degree pattern (it has a slot for the cockfeather). THe shafts are 11/32 diameter, 24 inches, 4 inch feathers, and a heavy (145 grain) point. I recently have shot 2 Royal Rounds of 98 points.

      My 95# Iolo shoots better with a slightly shorter and lichter shaft and 4 inch 2 fletched. Diameter 11/32, 20 inches, and 125 grain points. I am using the German Brass screw on points from 3 Rivers. a little expensive, but fast to put on, self centering, and easy to replace if necessary in the field. I have only lost one so far, btw.

      I also have an old Whammo with a Gladius replacement prod that likes 18 inch 5/16 shafts with 3 3 inch feathers and a 90 grain point.

      The biggest thing I have found is that the center of balance should be at least slighty forward of the geometric center. Think of darts in a bar...

      For the hook, I might try Museum Replicas out of Atlanta.

      Padraig MacRaighne