crossbow bolts

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
      I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
      Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
      at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
      bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
      or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
      11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.

      Thank you for any help you can give

      Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
      users. ;-)

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
      An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
      cunning of mind.

    • Chad and Erin Wilson
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
        From: "John edgerton" <sirjon1@...>
        [...]
        > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
        > users. ;-)

        Welcome to the secret brotherhood, Jon. Our take over of SCA archery will soon
        be complete!

        Bwuhahahahahaha!

        -Caedmon
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
          Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
          different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc. What type of release?
          What is the relationship of string travel to the bolt track? What type of
          prod? What kind of hold down? What is the size of the string? All these and
          more effect accuracy.

          James Cunningham

          > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
          > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
          > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
          > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
          > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
          > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
          >
          > Thank you for any help you can give
          >
          > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
          > users. ;-)
          >
          > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
          > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
          > cunning of mind.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 18, 2004
            Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
            sold it to him :)

            Siegfried

            At 11:12 PM 7/17/2004, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
            >Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
            >different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc.

          • John Rossignol
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
              Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales pitch
              from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)

              John

              Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

              >Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
              >sold it to him :)

            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
                I would not mind dealing with Faust. But I would be wary of signing
                anything for the guy with which he made that notorious deal. ;-)

                Jon

                On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 03:46 PM, John Rossignol wrote:

                > Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales
                > pitch
                > from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)
                >
                > John
                >
                > Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:
                >
                >> Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him,
                >> when I
                >> sold it to him :)

              • ronan morton
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                  Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                  the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                  geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                  arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                  crossbow prod.

                  Ronan MacMorton
                • Scott B. Jaqua
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                    ronan morton wrote:

                    >Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                    >the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                    >geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                    >arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                    >crossbow prod.
                    >
                    >Ronan MacMorton

                    That isn't even really an issue. Oh sure if you have a powerful enough
                    crossbow, there could be compression issues between the energy imparted
                    by the string and the inertia of the arrowhead. But only at extreme
                    poundages.

                    For the vast majority that will never be an issue. And by definition a
                    crossbow is center shot. So there is no lateral force applied to the
                    arrow at all.

                    Njall