Re: [SCA-Archery] Need Info on period shoot

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      Greetings
      I'm by no means expert, and my documentation is minimal, but FWIWm
      14th century Italians tended to lean heavily on crossbows rather than
      handbows. When they did use handbows, they were somewhat more likely
      than French or English or Scots or Scandinavians to use recurves,
      though they certainly knew about norther Longbows. Note that there was
      a very successful Condottiere of English extraction, Sir John Hawkwood,
      active in Italy with a sizable army of Mercenaries under his command in
      the 14th century. An important reason why he was as successful as he
      was was the extensive use by his troops of English longbows.
      There is little documentation from any culture in period about the
      specifics of target practice, and we are reduced to peering at things
      like the Lutrell Psalter for clues about what they did. I am confident
      that Italian practice did not differ much from that found elsewhere. If
      that is true, then you are looking at round white targets as big as a
      dish set up on little earthen mounds and shot at from distances of 100
      to 300 yards. You are looking at Popinjay-style arrangements presenting
      stuffed bird-models hanging from long poles. You are looking at reed
      wreaths set at various distances. For military professionals (Genoese
      especially, here), you would be seeing practice at cadenced volley-fire.

      Cordially;
      Nigel FitzMaurice

      > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
      > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to
      compete?

      > Thomas

      FREE!

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        And if they are any thing like the english archers, they will wager on
        their shots.

        Jon
        On Friday, July 16, 2004, at 04:15 PM, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

> [...]
      • J. Hughes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
          --- Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
          > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian
          > archery.
          > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got
          > together to compete?
          >
          > Thomas

          What they would have done is shoot crossbows. As far
          as what they would have talked about would have been
          the advantages of composite prod crossbows or wood
          prod crossbows for naval, field, and siege In
          particular they would have discussed the problems of
          glue and humidity for the composite bows. They would
          also have discussed the challenge of increased
          crossbow production in England, the Holy Roman Empire,
          France, and of course Spain. Production would permit
          the rise of trained and professional crossbowmen in
          these areas challenging the Northern Italian dominance
          in supplying such troops.

          Charles O'Connor

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail