Re: [SCA-Archery] Need Info on period shoot

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Michael Scherrer" <lordthomas@...>
      > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
      > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?

      Tell jokes about the French?

      But seriously, I don't think our medieval brethren are that much different from
      us. What do WE do? We dare someone to hit a certain spot on the target. We
      see who can shoot the farthest, or the tighest grouping.

      -Caedmon
    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        Greetings
        I'm by no means expert, and my documentation is minimal, but FWIWm
        14th century Italians tended to lean heavily on crossbows rather than
        handbows. When they did use handbows, they were somewhat more likely
        than French or English or Scots or Scandinavians to use recurves,
        though they certainly knew about norther Longbows. Note that there was
        a very successful Condottiere of English extraction, Sir John Hawkwood,
        active in Italy with a sizable army of Mercenaries under his command in
        the 14th century. An important reason why he was as successful as he
        was was the extensive use by his troops of English longbows.
        There is little documentation from any culture in period about the
        specifics of target practice, and we are reduced to peering at things
        like the Lutrell Psalter for clues about what they did. I am confident
        that Italian practice did not differ much from that found elsewhere. If
        that is true, then you are looking at round white targets as big as a
        dish set up on little earthen mounds and shot at from distances of 100
        to 300 yards. You are looking at Popinjay-style arrangements presenting
        stuffed bird-models hanging from long poles. You are looking at reed
        wreaths set at various distances. For military professionals (Genoese
        especially, here), you would be seeing practice at cadenced volley-fire.

        Cordially;
        Nigel FitzMaurice

        > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
        > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to
        compete?

        > Thomas

        FREE!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        "Do these colors match?"
        "Is this too much jewelry?"
        "Is that my drink?"

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
          And if they are any thing like the english archers, they will wager on
          their shots.

          Jon
          On Friday, July 16, 2004, at 04:15 PM, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

> [...]
        • J. Hughes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
            --- Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
            > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian
            > archery.
            > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got
            > together to compete?
            >
            > Thomas

            What they would have done is shoot crossbows. As far
            as what they would have talked about would have been
            the advantages of composite prod crossbows or wood
            prod crossbows for naval, field, and siege In
            particular they would have discussed the problems of
            glue and humidity for the composite bows. They would
            also have discussed the challenge of increased
            crossbow production in England, the Holy Roman Empire,
            France, and of course Spain. Production would permit
            the rise of trained and professional crossbowmen in
            these areas challenging the Northern Italian dominance
            in supplying such troops.

            Charles O'Connor

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail