Re: [SCA-Archery] Need Info on period shoot

  • arcus agnarr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      Umm. Maybe talk about Marco Polo????
      Agnarr

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Michael Scherrer" <lordthomas@...>
      To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>; <Calontam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 5:00 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Need Info on period shoot

      > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
      > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?
      >
      > Thomas

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Chad and Erin Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        From: "Michael Scherrer" <lordthomas@...>
        > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
        > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?

        Tell jokes about the French?

        But seriously, I don't think our medieval brethren are that much different from
        us. What do WE do? We dare someone to hit a certain spot on the target. We
        see who can shoot the farthest, or the tighest grouping.

        -Caedmon
      • Bruce R. Gordon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
          Greetings
          I'm by no means expert, and my documentation is minimal, but FWIWm
          14th century Italians tended to lean heavily on crossbows rather than
          handbows. When they did use handbows, they were somewhat more likely
          than French or English or Scots or Scandinavians to use recurves,
          though they certainly knew about norther Longbows. Note that there was
          a very successful Condottiere of English extraction, Sir John Hawkwood,
          active in Italy with a sizable army of Mercenaries under his command in
          the 14th century. An important reason why he was as successful as he
          was was the extensive use by his troops of English longbows.
          There is little documentation from any culture in period about the
          specifics of target practice, and we are reduced to peering at things
          like the Lutrell Psalter for clues about what they did. I am confident
          that Italian practice did not differ much from that found elsewhere. If
          that is true, then you are looking at round white targets as big as a
          dish set up on little earthen mounds and shot at from distances of 100
          to 300 yards. You are looking at Popinjay-style arrangements presenting
          stuffed bird-models hanging from long poles. You are looking at reed
          wreaths set at various distances. For military professionals (Genoese
          especially, here), you would be seeing practice at cadenced volley-fire.

          Cordially;
          Nigel FitzMaurice

          > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
          > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to
          compete?

          > Thomas

          FREE!

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          "Do these colors match?"
          "Is this too much jewelry?"
          "Is that my drink?"

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
            And if they are any thing like the english archers, they will wager on
            their shots.

            Jon
            On Friday, July 16, 2004, at 04:15 PM, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

> [...]
          • J. Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
              --- Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
              > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian
              > archery.
              > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got
              > together to compete?
              >
              > Thomas

              What they would have done is shoot crossbows. As far
              as what they would have talked about would have been
              the advantages of composite prod crossbows or wood
              prod crossbows for naval, field, and siege In
              particular they would have discussed the problems of
              glue and humidity for the composite bows. They would
              also have discussed the challenge of increased
              crossbow production in England, the Holy Roman Empire,
              France, and of course Spain. Production would permit
              the rise of trained and professional crossbowmen in
              these areas challenging the Northern Italian dominance
              in supplying such troops.

              Charles O'Connor

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail