Need Info on period shoot

  • Michael Scherrer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
      What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?

      Thomas

    • arcus agnarr
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        Umm. Maybe talk about Marco Polo????
        Agnarr

        > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
        > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?
        >
        > Thomas

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chad and Erin Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
          From: "Michael Scherrer" <lordthomas@...>
          > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
          > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to compete?

          Tell jokes about the French?

          But seriously, I don't think our medieval brethren are that much different from
          us. What do WE do? We dare someone to hit a certain spot on the target. We
          see who can shoot the farthest, or the tighest grouping.

          -Caedmon
        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
            Greetings
            I'm by no means expert, and my documentation is minimal, but FWIWm
            14th century Italians tended to lean heavily on crossbows rather than
            handbows. When they did use handbows, they were somewhat more likely
            than French or English or Scots or Scandinavians to use recurves,
            though they certainly knew about norther Longbows. Note that there was
            a very successful Condottiere of English extraction, Sir John Hawkwood,
            active in Italy with a sizable army of Mercenaries under his command in
            the 14th century. An important reason why he was as successful as he
            was was the extensive use by his troops of English longbows.
            There is little documentation from any culture in period about the
            specifics of target practice, and we are reduced to peering at things
            like the Lutrell Psalter for clues about what they did. I am confident
            that Italian practice did not differ much from that found elsewhere. If
            that is true, then you are looking at round white targets as big as a
            dish set up on little earthen mounds and shot at from distances of 100
            to 300 yards. You are looking at Popinjay-style arrangements presenting
            stuffed bird-models hanging from long poles. You are looking at reed
            wreaths set at various distances. For military professionals (Genoese
            especially, here), you would be seeing practice at cadenced volley-fire.

            Cordially;
            Nigel FitzMaurice

            > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian archery.
            > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got together to
            compete?

            > Thomas

            FREE!

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            "Do these colors match?"
            "Is this too much jewelry?"
            "Is that my drink?"

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
              And if they are any thing like the english archers, they will wager on
              their shots.

              Jon
              On Friday, July 16, 2004, at 04:15 PM, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

> [...]
            • J. Hughes
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
                --- Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
                > Need some help. Looking for 14th century Italian
                > archery.
                > What would a group of Italian archers do if they got
                > together to compete?
                >
                > Thomas

                What they would have done is shoot crossbows. As far
                as what they would have talked about would have been
                the advantages of composite prod crossbows or wood
                prod crossbows for naval, field, and siege In
                particular they would have discussed the problems of
                glue and humidity for the composite bows. They would
                also have discussed the challenge of increased
                crossbow production in England, the Holy Roman Empire,
                France, and of course Spain. Production would permit
                the rise of trained and professional crossbowmen in
                these areas challenging the Northern Italian dominance
                in supplying such troops.

                Charles O'Connor

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail