RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Crossbow Prods

  • Capn Mac
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
      I am deeply sorry about Andrew's health. Please give him my best. I live
      with and care for a survivor of stroke and completely empathise with Andrew
      and his loved ones.

      By the way, I don't recall saying Andrew was unreliable. I asked if anyone
      had a reliable source for prods. If Andrew has a reliable source, well then
      that answers my question.

      The message you're refering to was sent out a week and a half ago, before
      I managed to reach Andrew. At the time, Andrew was not even a source, let
      alone reliable or unreliable, since I hadn't managed to reach him.

      I felt, at the time, that it was in my best interest to find as many sources
      as I could. Perhaps someone has what I need in stock or could tell me where
      I could get what I need.

      I've already recieved several helpful suggestions as to what I can do with
      the existing prod and some suggestions as to where I can get a replacement.

      However, so far only Andrew has stated he could get me a new prod, just
      that I would need to be patient. Since I need a new prod to shoot at Pennsic
      and Pennsic is only a few weeks away, I can afford to be only so patient.

      -Ce'tach

    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
        I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
        me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
        tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.

        Why would anyone disallow the use of the fiberglass crossbow prod when
        in fact it is more effencent and less likley to break than steel or
        alauminn

        Iain Griffen
      • Bruce R. Gordon
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
          Greetings

          Um, to be as polite as possible here, this is codswallop. There is no prohibition of fibreglass prods for crossbows, never has been to my knowledge - at least in the general Society target archery regs; I suppose it's possible that some kingdom or other could have tightened that up and made a more restrictive policy than overall SCA rules allow, but I have not heard of any such instance.

          Tell your informant to check the Society TA rules (they are available as a pdf off the Society Earl Marshal page, under the archery deputy's file) and your own kingdoms rules - if your local kingdom has, in fact blocked fibreglass as a legal material, I would definitely agree that you ought to howl about it.

          Nigel, former AG Midrealm

          > I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
          > me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
          > tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.
          >
          > Why would anyone disallow the use of the fiberglass crossbow prod when
          > in fact it is more effencent and less likley to break than steel or
          > alauminn
          >
          > Iain Griffen

          "Do these colors match?"
          "Is this too much jewelry?"
          "Is that my drink?"

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
            Not in the Middle Kingdom!!

            James Cunningham

            I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
            me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
            tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.
          • Rob Andersen
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
              I am afraid that I started this fiberglass prod issue. I know that I saw
              fiberglass prod prohibition some where in my Crossbow research. In the
              Outlands combat archery rules it states that Fiberglass electric fence posts
              can not be used.
              http://outlandsmarshallate.org/CA.pdf

              This may be were I and some others got mixed up

              Rob Andersen
            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2006
                Brer Anderson's post makes sense. I have heard of such prohibition of
                fiberglass fence posts being considered elsewhere. This raises the question
                once more of where does an archery marshal's authority end regarding Combat
                Archery? I have had a few (very few) heavy combat marshals come to me to
                learn about bows, but most generally all they are concerned about in their
                inspections is the goof tube and the tennis ball/Baldur Blunt/chemical
                stopper in the end. Of course, I live in the Middle Kingdom where they
                don't like anything to do with flying objects on the lists.

                As I recall, the society rules specifically state that bows may be of wood,
                fiberglass, or other materials as long as they are in good condition. That
                includes crossbow prods by simple extension.

                Padraig MacRaighne

              • Siegfried
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2006
                  A target archery marshal's authority, in regards to Combat Archery,
                  ends before it starts, at least in Atlantia. There is none. They are
                  treated as two completely separate arts.

                  Oh, and I don't think any Kingdom restricts materials on Target Prods,
                  some DO restrict materials on combat prods.

                  But, this is the Target Archery list.

                  Siegfried