Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching - documentation ...

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
      Greetings
      I agree - behind a glass case you can't tell, of course, but aside
      from appearing a bit thick, they give an impression of stiffness -
      crinkly parchment rather than droopy soft vellum (as if anyone would
      use vellum...). I'll go up there again on wednesday and refresh my
      memory, with notes. There's another painting I want to look at, too,
      one that shows a close up detail of the fletching on an arrow.

      Nigel

      > I do not want to steel Nigel's thunder, but my memory
      > is that the Cleavland bolts looked like the same sort
      > of parchment that my wife uses for calligraphy, not
      > floppy at all.
      >
      > Alm writes of three fletched bolts and cites the
      > Kalevala (out of period published of period oral
      > Finnish tradition) which had the bolts with hardened
      > wood points and poisoned.
      >
      > The bolt clips are hard to document in Europe before
      > the 16th century. They clearly appear in the Cranach
      > painting that I have already mentioned. They also
      > occur in the Mamluk archery manual.
      >
      > Charles O'Connor
      > --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...>
      > wrote:
      > > First of all Nigel, your description does wonders
      > > ... and explains how one
      > > could get the leather/rawhide/etc to stay onto the
      > > bolt ... put it in a
      > > groove :)
      > >
      > > Might I ask from memory, was it more floppy leather,
      > > thick leather, or
      > > rawhide ish looking?
      > >
      > > >Definitely no
      > > >rail slots for a third fletch, anyway.
      > >
      > > Well, it has been long conjectured, that many period
      > > crossbow bolts had a
      > > 3rd upwards vertical fletch (Iolo usually carried
      > > around a few like this
      > > with his shop).
      > >
      > > As long as you don't have a bolt clip, it isn't a
      > > problem. Or 'slit' the
      > > bolt clip to accept the fletch.
      > >
      > > Again, not sure of my source on this, other than the
      > > Book of the Crossbow
      > > ... and I'll have to see if he is just conjecturing,
      > > or if he is quoting a
      > > source .... but I know I've read it elsewhere.
      > >
      > > And that most artist's just didn't bother to draw
      > > that fletch, since given
      > > the usual 'top view' of a crossbow as drawn, it
      > > would just be a 'line'. on
      > > the bolt.
      > >
      > > This goes along with the similar conjecture that all
      > > the pictures of 2
      > > fletch arrows, are actually 3 fletch, but just drawn
      > > that way, since the
      > > cock feather would just be a line as well.
      > >
      > > Siegfried

      ___

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux

    • Laebeth Curiel
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
        Will you make your findings and references available? I am interested in
        this also.

        Laebeth
        (Curiel - lady archer)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
          At 10:33 PM 6/28/2004, you wrote:
          >Will you make your findings and references available? I am interested in
          >this also.

          But of course ... as long as everyone actually goes and helps me find
          everything :) (IE, assuming it 'gets done')

          Siegfried

        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
            I started looking into this at one point also. I have found any number of
            fletchings depicted on pictures of saint sebastian. A huge source of links
            to various St. Sebastian pictures is:
            http://bode.diee.unica.it/~giua/SEBASTIAN/
            Good luck with your project.

            Nest