Fletching - documentation ...

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
      Hello all, I've got this background project in my mind that is bugging me
      to track down some documentation on Fletching styles ... fletching styles
      in all their particulars.

      I know I've got some of this at home, but figured others might have good
      access to things I don't, and/or have it fresher in their mind. Therefore:

      I want any documentation on different specific styles of fletching, it is
      general 'sca knowledge' that the following styles existed, I want
      documentation that they did:

      * Arrow - feather - 3 fletch
      * Arrow - feather - 4 fletch??
      * Arrow - feather - 2 fletch
      * Crossbow - feather - 2 fletch
      * Crossbow - feather - 3 fletch (vertical)
      * Crossbow - feather - 4 fletch (hedgehog)
      * Crossbow - grooves as fletching
      * Crossbow - Parchment/Paper - split bolt & insert
      * Crossbow - Leather - 2 fletch glued?
      * Crossbow - Wood - 2 fletch glued?
      * Crossbow - Metal - Split & insert?

      Similarly, I as somewhat indicated above as well, I am interested in HOW
      these were attached. Such as, were feathers in period, once glued (hide
      glue), always then wrapped with string? Or just sometimes? How about on
      crossbow bolts? What kind of string was used for that purpose? etc.

      Thanks in advance for anything you can give me ... direct references to
      paintings and/or books/page numbers are best :)

      Siegfried

    • J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
        I am very interested in your project. It will take a
        while for me to dig out my notes on crossbow
        fletching. I am also planing a number of museum trips
        to locations that would have bolts. to examine
        originals (pictures do not work for the details
        usually).

        Charles O'Connor

        --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...>

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Bruce R. Gordon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
          Greetings
          Cleveland Museum of Art has a selection of bolts on display,
          along with a nice little group of crossbows and mechanisms. The bolts
          are about a half an inch or more in diameter, roughly 14 inches long
          wooden, with long slightly arcuate grooves fitted with
          leather/parchment. Two-fletch design. Massive chiseled steel bodkin-
          point heads. All the crossbow stuff is just to the left of the main
          entry into the Armour Court from the central hall toward the front of
          the building. Right next to the display is a very nice painting of a
          large German hunting party using crossbows, showing them in every stage
          of being held, loaded, cocked, and fired ("The Stag Hunt", Lucas
          Cranach the Elder, dated 1540). with I'd be delighted to accompany an
          expedition up there sometime - it isn't far to travel for me at all.

          Nigel

          > I am very interested in your project. It will take a
          > while for me to dig out my notes on crossbow
          > fletching. I am also planing a number of museum trips
          > to locations that would have bolts. to examine
          > originals (pictures do not work for the details
          > usually).
          >
          > Charles O'Connor
          >
          > --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello all, I've got this background project in my
          > > mind that is bugging me
          > > to track down some documentation on Fletching styles
          > > ... fletching styles
          > > in all their particulars.
          > >
          > > I know I've got some of this at home, but figured
          > > others might have good
          > > access to things I don't, and/or have it fresher in
          > > their mind. Therefore:
          > >
          > > I want any documentation on different specific
          > > styles of fletching, it is
          > > general 'sca knowledge' that the following styles
          > > existed, I want
          > > documentation that they did:
          > >
          > > * Arrow - feather - 3 fletch
          > > * Arrow - feather - 4 fletch??
          > > * Arrow - feather - 2 fletch
          > > * Crossbow - feather - 2 fletch
          > > * Crossbow - feather - 3 fletch (vertical)
          > > * Crossbow - feather - 4 fletch (hedgehog)
          > > * Crossbow - grooves as fletching
          > > * Crossbow - Parchment/Paper - split bolt & insert
          > > * Crossbow - Leather - 2 fletch glued?
          > > * Crossbow - Wood - 2 fletch glued?
          > > * Crossbow - Metal - Split & insert?
          > >
          > > Similarly, I as somewhat indicated above as well, I
          > > am interested in HOW
          > > these were attached. Such as, were feathers in
          > > period, once glued (hide
          > > glue), always then wrapped with string? Or just
          > > sometimes? How about on
          > > crossbow bolts? What kind of string was used for
          > > that purpose? etc.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for anything you can give me ...
          > > direct references to
          > > paintings and/or books/page numbers are best :)
          > >
          > > Siegfried

          ___

          --
          Ex Tenebra, Lux

        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
            > The bolts
            >are about a half an inch or more in diameter, roughly 14 inches long
            >wooden, with long slightly arcuate grooves fitted with
            >leather/parchment. Two-fletch design.

            Thanks Nigel ...

            So, in these cases the parchment isn't inserted into a 'slit' shaft ...

            But instead there are grooves made to hold the parchment, or leather, and
            it is glued inside the groove?

            Siegfried

          • J. Hughes
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
              Nigel, I have been to the Cleavland Museum and loved
              it. I got up so close to the Cranach painting that the
              guard was getting nervous. It has a lot of detail that
              pictures of it in books can not show. You did not
              mention that the Elector's crossbow in the picture is
              in the case next to it...

              I received an apology from the curator of the arms and
              armor collection that he had not been there the day I
              was. As I am a museum director, there are certain
              personal courtesies that are often extended (such as
              being able to get very up close). He invited me to
              return "when he could show me around." I very much
              want to take him up on that. I have suggested Ragnar
              accompany me, but I am sure that more than one (as
              long as it is not legion) would be all right...

              Charles O'Connor

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
                Greetings
                Correct. You have a shaft with long, narrow, slightly curved
                grooves cut into the body, 180 degrees apart from each other. Into
                these are fit fletching material (in this case leather). The fletches
                in profile give a rather "Norman Kite-Shield" silhouette, except the
                the tops don't present a round curve but angle back to the shaft in a
                slightly concave line. The total length is mebbe four inches or so, and
                the slot begins an inch or an inch and a quarter down from the butt.
                Can't see any evidence of glue, but it was probably used. If this
                attempt at a description doesn't scan well, bear in mind that I'm
                trying to describe something from memory that I haven't seen in person
                for some months, aided only by one bad photo in a very out-of-date
                museum guide. I won't absolutely guarentee no slits - the photo isn't
                good enough to tell - but my memory says cut slots, solid butts. As I
                write this, I'm becoming tempted to run up there today or Wednesday to
                look again, just to make sure.
                Incidentally, the Cranach painting I referenced before shows 2-
                fletch designs much like what I've just been describing. Definitely no
                rail slots for a third fletch, anyway.

                Nigel

                > > The bolts
                > >are about a half an inch or more in diameter, roughly 14 inches long
                > >wooden, with long slightly arcuate grooves fitted with
                > >leather/parchment. Two-fletch design.
                >
                > Thanks Nigel ...
                >
                > So, in these cases the parchment isn't inserted into a 'slit'
                shaft ...

                > But instead there are grooves made to hold the parchment, or leather,
                and
                > it is glued inside the groove?
                >
                > Siegfried

                ___

                --
                Ex Tenebra, Lux

              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
                  First of all Nigel, your description does wonders ... and explains how one
                  could get the leather/rawhide/etc to stay onto the bolt ... put it in a
                  groove :)

                  Might I ask from memory, was it more floppy leather, thick leather, or
                  rawhide ish looking?

                  >Definitely no
                  >rail slots for a third fletch, anyway.

                  Well, it has been long conjectured, that many period crossbow bolts had a
                  3rd upwards vertical fletch (Iolo usually carried around a few like this
                  with his shop).

                  As long as you don't have a bolt clip, it isn't a problem. Or 'slit' the
                  bolt clip to accept the fletch.

                  Again, not sure of my source on this, other than the Book of the Crossbow
                  ... and I'll have to see if he is just conjecturing, or if he is quoting a
                  source .... but I know I've read it elsewhere.

                  And that most artist's just didn't bother to draw that fletch, since given
                  the usual 'top view' of a crossbow as drawn, it would just be a 'line'. on
                  the bolt.

                  This goes along with the similar conjecture that all the pictures of 2
                  fletch arrows, are actually 3 fletch, but just drawn that way, since the
                  cock feather would just be a line as well.

                  Siegfried

                • J. Hughes
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
                    I do not want to steel Nigel's thunder, but my memory
                    is that the Cleavland bolts looked like the same sort
                    of parchment that my wife uses for calligraphy, not
                    floppy at all.

                    Alm writes of three fletched bolts and cites the
                    Kalevala (out of period published of period oral
                    Finnish tradition) which had the bolts with hardened
                    wood points and poisoned.

                    The bolt clips are hard to document in Europe before
                    the 16th century. They clearly appear in the Cranach
                    painting that I have already mentioned. They also
                    occur in the Mamluk archery manual.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
                      Greetings
                      I agree - behind a glass case you can't tell, of course, but aside
                      from appearing a bit thick, they give an impression of stiffness -
                      crinkly parchment rather than droopy soft vellum (as if anyone would
                      use vellum...). I'll go up there again on wednesday and refresh my
                      memory, with notes. There's another painting I want to look at, too,
                      one that shows a close up detail of the fletching on an arrow.

                      Nigel

                      > I do not want to steel Nigel's thunder, but my memory
                      > is that the Cleavland bolts looked like the same sort
                      > of parchment that my wife uses for calligraphy, not
                      > floppy at all.
                      >
                      > Alm writes of three fletched bolts and cites the
                      > Kalevala (out of period published of period oral
                      > Finnish tradition) which had the bolts with hardened
                      > wood points and poisoned.
                      >
                      > The bolt clips are hard to document in Europe before
                      > the 16th century. They clearly appear in the Cranach
                      > painting that I have already mentioned. They also
                      > occur in the Mamluk archery manual.
                      >
                      > Charles O'Connor
                      > --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > First of all Nigel, your description does wonders
                      > > ... and explains how one
                      > > could get the leather/rawhide/etc to stay onto the
                      > > bolt ... put it in a
                      > > groove :)
                      > >
                      > > Might I ask from memory, was it more floppy leather,
                      > > thick leather, or
                      > > rawhide ish looking?
                      > >
                      > > >Definitely no
                      > > >rail slots for a third fletch, anyway.
                      > >
                      > > Well, it has been long conjectured, that many period
                      > > crossbow bolts had a
                      > > 3rd upwards vertical fletch (Iolo usually carried
                      > > around a few like this
                      > > with his shop).
                      > >
                      > > As long as you don't have a bolt clip, it isn't a
                      > > problem. Or 'slit' the
                      > > bolt clip to accept the fletch.
                      > >
                      > > Again, not sure of my source on this, other than the
                      > > Book of the Crossbow
                      > > ... and I'll have to see if he is just conjecturing,
                      > > or if he is quoting a
                      > > source .... but I know I've read it elsewhere.
                      > >
                      > > And that most artist's just didn't bother to draw
                      > > that fletch, since given
                      > > the usual 'top view' of a crossbow as drawn, it
                      > > would just be a 'line'. on
                      > > the bolt.
                      > >
                      > > This goes along with the similar conjecture that all
                      > > the pictures of 2
                      > > fletch arrows, are actually 3 fletch, but just drawn
                      > > that way, since the
                      > > cock feather would just be a line as well.
                      > >
                      > > Siegfried

                      ___

                      --
                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                    • Laebeth Curiel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 28, 2004
                        Will you make your findings and references available? I am interested in
                        this also.

                        Laebeth
                        (Curiel - lady archer)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
                          At 10:33 PM 6/28/2004, you wrote:
                          >Will you make your findings and references available? I am interested in
                          >this also.

                          But of course ... as long as everyone actually goes and helps me find
                          everything :) (IE, assuming it 'gets done')

                          Siegfried

                        • Nest verch Tangwistel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
                            I started looking into this at one point also. I have found any number of
                            fletchings depicted on pictures of saint sebastian. A huge source of links
                            to various St. Sebastian pictures is:
                            http://bode.diee.unica.it/~giua/SEBASTIAN/
                            Good luck with your project.

                            Nest