Re: combat arrows etc

  • agincort@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26 11:41 AM
      > Hello... What I am needing help with is, obviously, archery. I
      > currently have two recurve bows (short bows). One is a Internature
      > Bullseye, 30lbs @ 54". The other is a Bear Kodiak Magnum, 50lbs @
      > 52". Which, if either, of these bows could be used in the SCA?
      > Second question... Where can I find information on constructing
      > arrows for use in SCA combat? I have looked on the web and can not
      find anything.
      > Thanks,
      > Gideon
      That's two questions, alright. You apear to be in Northshield.
      Either bow is good for the SCA, for target shooting. In some kingdoms,
      the 50# is too heavy for combat, BUT, if you are using golf tube arrows,
      ie Midrealm, and I believe, Northshield, it is acceptable. The key is
      your kingdom's standard for maximum inch/lbs for a shot. Go to the
      Midrealm page, and you will find the info you need under the marshalate
      stuff. I suspect the Principality of Northshield will have the same
      standards, even after it hives off this fall. For Midrealm style combat
      arrows, try:
      http://costume.dm.net/~ernie/archery/
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Take thou no scorn to wear the horn; It was a crest ere thou wast born"
      - As You Like It Act 4, Scene II
    • blkknighti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26 11:59 AM
        Ummm..wait a second...30# @54"? 50lbs @ 52"?
        Thats an awful LONG draw length. I suspect you talking about the overall
        length of the bow not the drawlength which is usually represented by the X# @ Y".
        Combat arrows can only be for a max 28" draw... so it does affect stuff.
        Richard
        In a message dated 6/26/04 2:43:02 PM, agincort@... writes:

        > .  I
        > > currently have two recurve bows (short bows).  One is a Internature
        > > Bullseye, 30lbs @ 54".  The other is a Bear Kodiak Magnum, 50lbs @
        > > 52".

      • penguine111
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26 8:38 PM
          Yes, your right. I misstated the draw length, my bad! The lbs are
          correct though. The other number was length of teh bow, not draw
          length! Woops.

          I appreciate everyones help, thanks alot.

          Gideon