Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • kilmye@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
      Hi,

      Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
      stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
      consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
      that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
      not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
      between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

      We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
      were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
      odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

      Kiley

    • Chris Mortimore
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
        Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
        stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
        consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
        that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
        not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
        between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

        We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
        were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
        odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

        Kiley

        --------------------
        Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
        Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
        HTH,
        Johanna
        >>>-----> <-----<<<
        Johanna von Schöningen
        Barony Coeur d'Ennui
        mka Chris Mortimore
        cmortimr at graceland dot edu
      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
          At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
          >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

          Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

          Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
          stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

          Siegfried
          - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!