Re: 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • Teagus
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
      Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
      now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
      from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
      fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
      every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
      and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
      Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
      Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
      Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
      now have a double space on the street of gold.)
      Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
      dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
      projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
      hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
      stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
      server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

      Keep it in the SCA family.

      TK

    • kilmye@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hi,

        Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
        stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
        consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
        that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
        not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
        between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

        We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
        were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
        odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

        Kiley

      • Chris Mortimore
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
          Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
          stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
          consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
          that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
          not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
          between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

          We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
          were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
          odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

          Kiley

          --------------------
          Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
          Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
          HTH,
          Johanna
          >>>-----> <-----<<<
          Johanna von Schöningen
          Barony Coeur d'Ennui
          mka Chris Mortimore
          cmortimr at graceland dot edu
        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
            At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
            >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

            Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

            Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
            stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

            Siegfried
            - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!