Re: 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • mekilno
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
      > The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The
      prettiest
      > ones are in the middle. ;)

      True, very true! lol

      > Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first
      set
      > of arrows on the long side.

      OK, thanks! Hmm...I take a look around, see what I can find. Thanks
      again, everyone!

      Everild
    • Katherine Killigrew
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
        Greetings!

        For all newbies, and even archers who have been shooting for awhile, An
        Tir's "On Target Online" archery magazine, has several good articles. The
        following link will take you to an article on how to get started in SCA
        archery.

        http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/tips_general_frameset.html

        There are also articles on improving your scores, improving speed rounds and
        more.

        In Service,

        Katherine Killigrew

      • Teagus
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
          Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
          now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
          from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
          fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
          every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
          and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
          Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
          Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
          Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
          now have a double space on the street of gold.)
          Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
          dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
          projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
          hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
          stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
          server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

          Keep it in the SCA family.

          TK

        • kilmye@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
            Hi,

            Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
            stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
            consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
            that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
            not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
            between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

            We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
            were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
            odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

            Kiley

          • Chris Mortimore
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
              Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
              stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
              consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
              that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
              not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
              between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

              We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
              were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
              odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

              Kiley

              --------------------
              Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
              Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
              HTH,
              Johanna
              >>>-----> <-----<<<
              Johanna von Schöningen
              Barony Coeur d'Ennui
              mka Chris Mortimore
              cmortimr at graceland dot edu
            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
                At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
                >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

                Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

                Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
                stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

                Siegfried
                - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!