Re: [SCA-Archery] 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • carlDOTwest
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
      mekilno wrote:
      > ...now all I need are arrows... But I'm also aware of cost -
      > so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
      > mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
      > don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?

      The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The prettiest
      ones are in the middle. ;)

      Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first set
      of arrows on the long side. You _will_ hit rocks with them, they _will_
      break, usually right behind the head. If the shaft is long enough, you
      can re-head the arrow and keep using it. Maybe several times. With
      practice there will come a time when your form is consistent enough to
      show that the shorter ones tend to the bow-hand side of the target.
      When you get to that level, get new and better arrows.

      -- Fritz

      If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
      will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

      --
      Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

      "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
    • mekilno
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
        > The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The
        prettiest
        > ones are in the middle. ;)

        True, very true! lol

        > Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first
        set
        > of arrows on the long side.

        OK, thanks! Hmm...I take a look around, see what I can find. Thanks
        again, everyone!

        Everild
      • Katherine Killigrew
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
          Greetings!

          For all newbies, and even archers who have been shooting for awhile, An
          Tir's "On Target Online" archery magazine, has several good articles. The
          following link will take you to an article on how to get started in SCA
          archery.

          http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/tips_general_frameset.html

          There are also articles on improving your scores, improving speed rounds and
          more.

          In Service,

          Katherine Killigrew

        • Teagus
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
            Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
            now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
            from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
            fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
            every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
            and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
            Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
            Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
            Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
            now have a double space on the street of gold.)
            Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
            dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
            projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
            hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
            stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
            server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

            Keep it in the SCA family.

            TK

          • kilmye@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
              Hi,

              Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
              stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
              consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
              that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
              not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
              between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

              We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
              were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
              odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

              Kiley

            • Chris Mortimore
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                Kiley

                --------------------
                Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
                Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
                HTH,
                Johanna
                >>>-----> <-----<<<
                Johanna von Schöningen
                Barony Coeur d'Ennui
                mka Chris Mortimore
                cmortimr at graceland dot edu
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
                  At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
                  >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

                  Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

                  Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
                  stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

                  Siegfried
                  - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!