Re: 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
      I am just going to disagree with one aspect of this. It is better to
      go with better arrows before going for a better bow. An old adage is
      that it is better to have $100 arrows and a $10 bow than a $100 bow
      and $10 arrows. (With those prices, you know its an old adage.)

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "actionjoe02" <joe@p...> wrote:
      > If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
      > you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a
      better
      > bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).
      >
      > Stefen von Baden
    • carlDOTwest
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
        mekilno wrote:
        > ...now all I need are arrows... But I'm also aware of cost -
        > so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
        > mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
        > don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?

        The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The prettiest
        ones are in the middle. ;)

        Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first set
        of arrows on the long side. You _will_ hit rocks with them, they _will_
        break, usually right behind the head. If the shaft is long enough, you
        can re-head the arrow and keep using it. Maybe several times. With
        practice there will come a time when your form is consistent enough to
        show that the shorter ones tend to the bow-hand side of the target.
        When you get to that level, get new and better arrows.

        -- Fritz

        If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
        will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

        --
        Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

        "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
      • mekilno
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
          > The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The
          prettiest
          > ones are in the middle. ;)

          True, very true! lol

          > Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first
          set
          > of arrows on the long side.

          OK, thanks! Hmm...I take a look around, see what I can find. Thanks
          again, everyone!

          Everild
        • Katherine Killigrew
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
            Greetings!

            For all newbies, and even archers who have been shooting for awhile, An
            Tir's "On Target Online" archery magazine, has several good articles. The
            following link will take you to an article on how to get started in SCA
            archery.

            http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/tips_general_frameset.html

            There are also articles on improving your scores, improving speed rounds and
            more.

            In Service,

            Katherine Killigrew

          • Teagus
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
              Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
              now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
              from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
              fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
              every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
              and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
              Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
              Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
              Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
              now have a double space on the street of gold.)
              Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
              dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
              projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
              hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
              stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
              server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

              Keep it in the SCA family.

              TK

            • kilmye@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                Hi,

                Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                Kiley

              • Chris Mortimore
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                  Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                  stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                  consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                  that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                  not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                  between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                  We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                  were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                  odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                  Kiley

                  --------------------
                  Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
                  Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
                  HTH,
                  Johanna
                  >>>-----> <-----<<<
                  Johanna von Schöningen
                  Barony Coeur d'Ennui
                  mka Chris Mortimore
                  cmortimr at graceland dot edu
                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
                    At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
                    >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

                    Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

                    Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
                    stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

                    Siegfried
                    - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!