2 brief longbow reviews

  • actionjoe02
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      Note: I'm a newbie. I've only been shooting for about six months on a
      regular basis.

      A caveat on bows purchased on ebay was mentioned the other day, and it
      reminded me that I wanted to share a couple of tid bits on a couple of
      merchants that regularly sell their wares on ebay.

      First, the Bitter Root Bow Company: My wife purchased an oak #55
      longbow from these guys on ebay. They also have a webpage at
      www.stickbowworld.com. From the reading I've done, oak is not
      supposed to be one of the better white bow woods, but I couldn't be
      happier with this one. The bow was only $65 (or less, I don't know
      how much she paid), but it fires arrows down range with no small
      amount of authority. I'd love to use a chronograph on this one day.
      They are also very quick and polite in answering silly newbie
      questions *ahem*. Be sure to get a "real" bowstring after a while.
      The sinew bowstring they send it with is just fine for openers, but
      you'll soon want more.

      Second, woodbows.com: Well, what can be said? Into every life must
      fall some rain, or in my case, some bad bows. I bought a 30lbs. red
      oak, linen-backed bow through an online auction. Praise be that I
      only paid about half what they asked for the same bow on their web
      page. The bow is permantly set at a 45-degree angle (what is referred
      to as "severe string-follow" I believe) even though it was fired by my
      wife and myself only a few times (not overdrawn, mind you). It had
      almost no cast even with school arrows. I checked their site just
      before I posted this, but the site appears to be down.

      but I advise the low-cost long bow purchasers among us to go with
      Bitter Root. Remember, take my review with a grain of salt - I am by
      my own admission new to traditional archery.

      Stefen von Baden