Re: 'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • actionjoe02
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
      You really threw me with "jelly bow," but from what I can gather it's
      one of the millions of purely fiberglass, low-cost, often garrishly
      colored bows in the 15-35lbs. pull range, yes?

      If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
      you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a better
      bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).

      If you'd like to keep the money in the SCA family, as it were, I see
      that Meric archery (www.mericarchery.com) sells them. I'm sure there
      are many more.

      Stefen von Baden
    • mekilno
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "actionjoe02" <joe@p...> wrote:
        one of the millions of purely fiberglass, low-cost, often garrishly
        > colored bows in the 15-35lbs. pull range, yes?

        Emm...yeah *blushes*. 35lbs pull range. And I'm going to paint it -
        either wood effect, if I can find it, or black.

        > If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
        > you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a
        better
        > bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).

        Of course - thanks, I'll do that.

        > If you'd like to keep the money in the SCA family, as it were, I see
        > that Meric archery (www.mericarchery.com) sells them.

        Brilliant! Thanks!

        Everild,
        Happy now.
      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
          I am just going to disagree with one aspect of this. It is better to
          go with better arrows before going for a better bow. An old adage is
          that it is better to have $100 arrows and a $10 bow than a $100 bow
          and $10 arrows. (With those prices, you know its an old adage.)

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "actionjoe02" <joe@p...> wrote:
          > If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
          > you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a
          better
          > bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).
          >
          > Stefen von Baden
        • carlDOTwest
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
            mekilno wrote:
            > ...now all I need are arrows... But I'm also aware of cost -
            > so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
            > mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
            > don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?

            The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The prettiest
            ones are in the middle. ;)

            Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first set
            of arrows on the long side. You _will_ hit rocks with them, they _will_
            break, usually right behind the head. If the shaft is long enough, you
            can re-head the arrow and keep using it. Maybe several times. With
            practice there will come a time when your form is consistent enough to
            show that the shorter ones tend to the bow-hand side of the target.
            When you get to that level, get new and better arrows.

            -- Fritz

            If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
            will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

            --
            Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

            "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
          • mekilno
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
              > The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The
              prettiest
              > ones are in the middle. ;)

              True, very true! lol

              > Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first
              set
              > of arrows on the long side.

              OK, thanks! Hmm...I take a look around, see what I can find. Thanks
              again, everyone!

              Everild
            • Katherine Killigrew
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                Greetings!

                For all newbies, and even archers who have been shooting for awhile, An
                Tir's "On Target Online" archery magazine, has several good articles. The
                following link will take you to an article on how to get started in SCA
                archery.

                http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/tips_general_frameset.html

                There are also articles on improving your scores, improving speed rounds and
                more.

                In Service,

                Katherine Killigrew

              • Teagus
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                  Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
                  now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
                  from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
                  fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
                  every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
                  and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
                  Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
                  Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
                  Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
                  now have a double space on the street of gold.)
                  Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
                  dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
                  projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
                  hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
                  stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
                  server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

                  Keep it in the SCA family.

                  TK

                • kilmye@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Hi,

                    Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                    stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                    consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                    that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                    not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                    between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                    We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                    were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                    odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                    Kiley

                  • Chris Mortimore
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                      Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                      stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                      consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                      that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                      not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                      between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                      We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                      were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                      odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                      Kiley

                      --------------------
                      Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
                      Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
                      HTH,
                      Johanna
                      >>>-----> <-----<<<
                      Johanna von Schöningen
                      Barony Coeur d'Ennui
                      mka Chris Mortimore
                      cmortimr at graceland dot edu
                    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
                        At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
                        >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

                        Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

                        Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
                        stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

                        Siegfried
                        - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!