'nother question....last one for a while, I promise!!!

  • mekilno
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
      OK, I've got my bow (kinda, it was posted yesterday), got my
      quiver...now all I need are arrows. I have no idea how to start
      looking for arrows, or what type I need for a 'jelly' bow. (Yes, OK,
      I know it's a jelly bow, but I'm only a beginner!!) I want to go for
      a period look, even though it's a jelly bow (Do you reckon if I paint
      it black, it'd look better than blue?). But I'm also aware of cost -
      so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
      mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
      don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?

      Everild
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
        For a rough start take a yard stick and place it in the notch at the top
        of your sternum (breastbone), stretch your hands along it until you are
        holding it between your palms with your fingers outstretched. read the
        distance at the tips of your fingers and add 1". This should get you
        close.
        Carolus

        On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:20:52 -0000 "mekilno"
        <everildtheclumsy@...> writes:
        > OK, I've got my bow (kinda, it was posted yesterday), got my
        > quiver...now all I need are arrows. I have no idea how to start
        > looking for arrows, or what type I need for a 'jelly' bow. (Yes,
        > OK,
        > I know it's a jelly bow, but I'm only a beginner!!) I want to go
        > for
        > a period look, even though it's a jelly bow (Do you reckon if I
        > paint
        > it black, it'd look better than blue?). But I'm also aware of cost
        > -
        > so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
        > mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
        > don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?
        >
        > Everild

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • actionjoe02
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
          You really threw me with "jelly bow," but from what I can gather it's
          one of the millions of purely fiberglass, low-cost, often garrishly
          colored bows in the 15-35lbs. pull range, yes?

          If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
          you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a better
          bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).

          If you'd like to keep the money in the SCA family, as it were, I see
          that Meric archery (www.mericarchery.com) sells them. I'm sure there
          are many more.

          Stefen von Baden
        • mekilno
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "actionjoe02" <joe@p...> wrote:
            one of the millions of purely fiberglass, low-cost, often garrishly
            > colored bows in the 15-35lbs. pull range, yes?

            Emm...yeah *blushes*. 35lbs pull range. And I'm going to paint it -
            either wood effect, if I can find it, or black.

            > If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
            > you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a
            better
            > bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).

            Of course - thanks, I'll do that.

            > If you'd like to keep the money in the SCA family, as it were, I see
            > that Meric archery (www.mericarchery.com) sells them.

            Brilliant! Thanks!

            Everild,
            Happy now.
          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
              I am just going to disagree with one aspect of this. It is better to
              go with better arrows before going for a better bow. An old adage is
              that it is better to have $100 arrows and a $10 bow than a $100 bow
              and $10 arrows. (With those prices, you know its an old adage.)

              James

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "actionjoe02" <joe@p...> wrote:
              > If it is, I'd suggest going with just regular school arrows until
              > you've shot enough to feel that the price is justified to get a
              better
              > bow (followed by better arrows, o'course).
              >
              > Stefen von Baden
            • carlDOTwest
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2004
                mekilno wrote:
                > ...now all I need are arrows... But I'm also aware of cost -
                > so I'm looking for cheap arrows, that look good. Also, bearing in
                > mind I'm also ickle, I don't know what length to go for.....meh, I
                > don't know how to start looking....can anyone help?

                The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The prettiest
                ones are in the middle. ;)

                Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first set
                of arrows on the long side. You _will_ hit rocks with them, they _will_
                break, usually right behind the head. If the shaft is long enough, you
                can re-head the arrow and keep using it. Maybe several times. With
                practice there will come a time when your form is consistent enough to
                show that the shorter ones tend to the bow-hand side of the target.
                When you get to that level, get new and better arrows.

                -- Fritz

                If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
                will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

                --
                Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

                "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
              • mekilno
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                  > The good looking arrows are the ones stuck in the target. The
                  prettiest
                  > ones are in the middle. ;)

                  True, very true! lol

                  > Since you're watching the cash, I'd suggest that you get your first
                  set
                  > of arrows on the long side.

                  OK, thanks! Hmm...I take a look around, see what I can find. Thanks
                  again, everyone!

                  Everild
                • Katherine Killigrew
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Greetings!

                    For all newbies, and even archers who have been shooting for awhile, An
                    Tir's "On Target Online" archery magazine, has several good articles. The
                    following link will take you to an article on how to get started in SCA
                    archery.

                    http://www.zateev.net/ontarget/framesets/tips_general_frameset.html

                    There are also articles on improving your scores, improving speed rounds and
                    more.

                    In Service,

                    Katherine Killigrew

                  • Teagus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                      Kingslayer Armory has been making longbows for the SCA for 5 years
                      now. Been merchanting archery equipment for 15 years since retiring
                      from heavy weapons (bad knees - mudane 30% DAV U.S Army 1972-74). I
                      fought for the East in the last Pennsic in Ohio and have been to
                      every Pennsic since then. Member Weresheep. Also fought with Tuchuxs
                      and Von Halsterns. Autocrat and Quintavian warlord first Boredom War.
                      Pennsic VIII Eastern Airborne Barbarian.
                      Founder of the IKAC (Interkingdom Arms Cartel)(Kingslayer,Ironmonger
                      Armory and Pennthar Crossbows)(News Flash!!!!!! Ashton is gone and we
                      now have a double space on the street of gold.)
                      Own 48 Bitzenburgers. Sell over 200 dozen arrows a year. sell over 70
                      dozen bolts a year. Sell over 50 quivers a year. Current archery
                      projects include 12v ps pwm low rpm belt driven cresting lathe from
                      hell, automated arrow dipping system using a six wire unipolar
                      stepper motor contolled by the Allegra 5804, dc motor driven string
                      server with feedback circuit for constant torque.

                      Keep it in the SCA family.

                      TK

                    • kilmye@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                        Hi,

                        Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                        stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                        consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                        that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                        not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                        between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                        We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                        were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                        odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                        Kiley

                      • Chris Mortimore
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                          Last weekend at the Midrealms Crown Tournament Nigel made every effort to
                          stress to me that arrows don't last. They break. They disappear. They are a
                          consumable item. "Don't get attached to them", he said. I'd still like to have ones
                          that will go straight, if I can manage to shoot correctly. I'd also like them
                          not to explode when I try to shoot them. That way I can tell the difference
                          between my own mistakes and wonky arrows.

                          We also got to see his crossbow, he even let me fire it once. My little boys
                          were deeply impressed. No doubt they will be making their own cross bows with
                          odd bits of wood, rubber bands, and pencils for arrows...again.

                          Kiley

                          --------------------
                          Yes to all of that, but OTOH.... don't be too discouraged. Last year (my first year of shooting), I made 18 arrows for Lilies War. This year's Lilies is comping up in a week and I still have 8 of them... I only made new ones to shoot last March. Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.
                          Personally, I enjoy making arrows. I don't go to the lengths that some do in terms of spine and weight matching but I make good "practice" arrows with the cheap shafts from Three Rivers and the spine matching they do seems to work fairly well for me. Last year I got a half gross of "seconds" from another dealer. I am just now getting to the point where I'm better enough to notice the problems with the variance in spine/weight. I've had good luck with the 3Rivers shafts.
                          HTH,
                          Johanna
                          >>>-----> <-----<<<
                          Johanna von Schöningen
                          Barony Coeur d'Ennui
                          mka Chris Mortimore
                          cmortimr at graceland dot edu
                        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
                            At 05:23 PM 6/3/2004, Chris Mortimore wrote:
                            >Our local archer marshal cites the rule of thumb, about a dozen a year.

                            Really? I go through about 50 a year ...

                            Guess it depends on how much shooting you do ... and how much of it at 'fun
                            stuff' instead of concentric ring targets :)

                            Siegfried
                            - Which reminds me, I need to go make some more!