Re: [SCA-Archery] horse archery

  • Donna DeBonis
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2004
      Greetings Sir Jon from THL Donwenna, IKEQC Adminstrator,
      In an effort to promote Mounted archery ,
      I have just added in Mounted archery to the IKEQC for the SCA New Year host
      of activities.
      go to
      www.scaikeqc.org
      for more info.

      .
      Additionally, I am teaching Mounted Archery with my husband Agelos Evienece
      (we are 'second generation ' student of Kassai Lajos) at Fibers and
      Fletching AUG 15 weekend in Aquaterra, AN TIR (mundanely Camano Island east
      of Seattle). Agelos did a demo of Mounted Archery at the East Meets West
      Pilgimage April 24 in Midhaven (Mt Vernon-north of Seattle).

      There is a HorseArchery EList on Yahoo groups, but it is not SCA-exclusive
      and although there are alot of folks on it, only a small per centage
      actually do mounted archery. There is alot of resource there as the
      European Horse archers hang out on that List. As for SCA, I am not sure if
      they are doing any yet at any events & I think only Alastair is on that
      EList, but THL Isolde also does Horse Archery in Calontir, Alastair and
      Kassandra in Northshield .

      Why don't you come up to our event in AUG?

      Ever in Service,
      THL Donwenna Beast Healer, Shittimwoode A & S Champion
      www.lanceofstanne.com/donwenna.html
      Lancer of Dragon's Laire, EqMarshal of the Field
      IKEQC Administrator www.scaikeqc.org

      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2004
        Thank you for the information.

        Jon

        On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 06:58 PM, Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
        wrote:

        > Sir Jon,
        >
        > I am in the process of getting our Kingdom Eq. marshal warranted for
        > target archery, a requirement of mounted archery. I suspect marshals in
        > our local Barony will be next.
        >
        > There should be one maybe two events in Kingdom this year, where
        > mounted
        > archery may take place. I say may, because it has not been confirmed
        > as yet.
        >

        > Lord Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
        > Kingdom Archer General
        > Kingdom of Artemisia.
      • Donna DeBonis
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2004
          Greetings from Donwenna,

          Your Equestrian Marshal does not *have* to be a Target Archery Marshal. Currently I am an EQ Marshal (in fact, I am an EQ Marshal of the Field) and I am in the process of becoming a TAM . I agree that it is helpful and a good idea to promote the Mounted Archery if we can be both.

          The SCA-wide EQ regs state:
          Appendix III - SCA Minimum Regulations for Mounted Archery

          These regulations are for both mounted and chariot archery.

          1. The archery equipment (bows, arrows, targets, etc.) and range must be inspected by a warranted SCA archery marshal. It is acceptable and encouraged that the equestrian marshal may also serve as the archery marshal if they hold the appropriate qualifications.
          2. Participation Requirements by level:

          a) Beginner and Intermediate riders must have an EqM (or an Advanced rider designated by the EqMIC) lead their mounts past the archery target(s) and have their reins within reach.
          b) Advanced riders have two options for in-motion mounted archery. They may either:

          i. Have an EqM (or advanced rider designated by the EqMIC) longe their mounts past the target and have their reins within reach. OR
          ii. They may perform in the Japanese, or Yabusame manner if all of the following conditions can be met:

          a. The course must be set up with a lane approximately 4 yards wide, within a larger area, which is safely cordoned off, from spectators. AND
          b. An inspection run is given each rider and horse at each event as follows: The rider proceeds down the lane with bow in hand and reins dropped (or secured). The rider aims a shot towards the target and then regains his/her reins and brings the horse under control. The horse should be slowed down by the time it enters the run-out area. The rider should make every effort to control his/her horse if a problem occurs, including dropping the bow if necessary.

          3. Once the rider demonstrates safely at the desired gait, he/she should take a practice shot at the halt. If the horse does not react badly to the arrow shot, the rider may participate. As always, if a problem occurs the marshals may ask the rider to stop shooting for the day.

          4. For chariot archery, the horse and driver must have met any required authorizations for driving, but non-equestrian archers shooting from a chariot driven by an authorized equestrian is permitted. These non-equestrian archers must have signed any equestrian waiver in use to signify that they are aware of the risks involved in equestrian sports.

          5. Golf tube arrows, HTM blunts, small game blunts, Markland type and regulation target points are allowed.

          6. Bow poundage is not to exceed 35 lbs for use with small game blunts and regulation target points not to exceed 50 lbs for all other types of arrows.

          7. There should be a barrier of some type that will not allow the horse and rider or horse and chariot to pass closer than 10 yards (30 feet) to any target to prevent danger from the "bounce back" of arrows. Beyond the target area there must either be a wall or archery-proof net, or a clear area a minimum of 100 feet long and 120 feet wide (60 feet on either side of target). The clear area for multiple targets used in "in-motion" shooting may be overlapped.

          8. Equestrian archery is to be done with inanimate targets only. Both stationary and in-motion shooting is permitted. For stationary shooting activities, a footman or page may hold the horse from the offside.

          9. Definitions:

          Stationary shooting - The rider/archer shoots while mounted on his horse, but with the horse standing still. Because it is only possible to shoot comfortably in a 180 degree arc while mounted, A right handed archer can only shoot objects to the left of his horse, it is safe for an experienced horse person to hold a stationary horse from the off side (in this case the right) If a left handed archer then the safe zone would be on the left.

          In-Motion shooting - The rider/archer shoots while the horse or chariot is in motion, usually at a trot or a canter/hand gallop.
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Every Kingdom may, of course , have more stringent regs.

          Ever in Service,
          THL Donwenna Beast Healer, Shittimwoode A & S Champion
          www.lanceofstanne.com/donwenna.html
          Lancer of Dragon's Laire, EqMarshal of the Field
          IKEQC Administrator www.scaikeqc.org

        • Chris Mortimore
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
            A mundane, yet fun and interesting event in Ft. Dodge, Iowa... early September: The International Horse Archery Festival. http://www.intlhorsearchery.org/this_years_festival.htm

            >>>-----> <-----<<<
            Johanna von Schöningen
            Barony Coeur d'Ennui
            Calontir
            mka Chris Mortimore

            > Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
            > archery?
            >
            > thank you
            >
            > Jon
            >
            > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West, Mists, Esfenn
            > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
            > cunning of mind.

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
              Thank you. The information is most useful. I would to come there for
              the event, but it is a bit to far to travel.

              Jon
              Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn