Re: [SCA-Archery] ermmm.... new bow in the offing....

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27 11:31 AM
      There is nothing to stop this bow from being used in the SCA, but I would
      recommend against it for you. I believe you are the person who is just
      starting out, right? This bow's draw weight is 45 pounds at 28 inches.
      That is very heavy for a woman who is just starting in archery. For that
      matter it is a pretty heavy draw weight for any woman. more than I would
      like to pull, and I have been in archery for years. You should probably
      start out with something more in the 25-30 pound range. If it is too heavy
      a draw you can hurt your shoulder, and that would ruin the fun part.

      Nest

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • drosen105@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 27 11:43 AM
        Nest makes a very good point. You need to figure out what draw weight your
        comfortable with and work from there. As for the bow. It is tough to judge
        the quality of a bow without seeing it in person however, I have a shakespear
        wonderbow and I find it to be a fine bow. stong, smooth and reliable. They are
        older bows that seem to hold up well. If you're looking for a left-handed,
        45# bow, that's not a bad one to try.
        Rupert
        This bow's draw weight is 45 pounds at 28 inches.
        That is very heavy for a woman who is just starting in archery. For that
        matter it is a pretty heavy draw weight for any woman. more than I would
        like to pull, and I have been in archery for years. You should probably
        start out with something more in the 25-30 pound range

      • Jessi
        Message 3 of 10 , May 27 7:25 PM
          I agree with the rest, it is a heavy bow when you're just starting out.
          However, there's also a progression when you start out where you can
          train yourself to be able to pull more. Of course, this is only helpful
          if you've got the loaner gear to be able to go up in weight.

          I started with a 25' at 28" and through the course of 2 months moved by
          5' every few weeks and settled at 45' at 28". I have been shooting a
          45' Martin Hunter for almost 3 years now and I just love it! It will
          give you a workout, especially if you're not used to it! But I wouldn't
          cross it out completely because of the weight; you can't beat that price
          either.

          Just my 2c as a female archer.

          Christina
          Barony of Lyondemere, Caid

          Hey guys, I was jsut wondering if someone could tell me if this:
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
          ViewItem&item=3679118999&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1 - would be
          an OK bow to use in the SCA. I think it is, but I just wanted
          someone to check it over for me.... ;)

          Thanks!

          Everild
          quite annoyed that she's turned out to be left eye dominant....

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27 8:36 PM
            I notice that this is a 62" bow which is a plus. Judging from your post
            about your height I would guess you have a draw length of 25 to 26 inches
            (am I right?) This would make it the right length for your draw. If my
            guess is right this would make the draw weight about 39 or 40 pounds.
            Not as bad as 45 but still pretty hefty for a beginning archer. I shoot
            37 pounds in the SCA and 44 Olympic style. The 44 is pretty tough after
            a full day's shooting and I've been at this for years. That said, the
            Shakespeare is a good bow with an excellent reputation and this example
            looks good in the photos. Beware, however, the seller says they know
            nothing about old bows and thus it could be a risky purchase.
            Carolus

            On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:43:40 EDT drosen105@... writes:
            > Nest makes a very good point. You need to figure out what draw
            > weight your
            > comfortable with and work from there. As for the bow. It is tough
            > to judge
            > the quality of a bow without seeing it in person however, I have a
            > shakespear
            > wonderbow and I find it to be a fine bow. stong, smooth and
            > reliable. They are
            > older bows that seem to hold up well. If you're looking for a
            > left-handed,
            > 45# bow, that's not a bad one to try.
            > Rupert
            > This bow's draw weight is 45 pounds at 28 inches.
            > That is very heavy for a woman who is just starting in archery. For
            > that
            > matter it is a pretty heavy draw weight for any woman. more than I
            > would
            > like to pull, and I have been in archery for years. You should
            > probably
            > start out with something more in the 25-30 pound range

            > list]
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 27 10:13 PM
              . Beware, however, the seller says they know
              > nothing about old bows and thus it could be a risky purchase.
              > Carolus

              If you look at a blowup of the whole bow it look like one of the nocks has
              the ears broken off.
              NOT a good sign. I would not risk $40 to England for this bow.

              James Cunningham
            • mekilno
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28 7:23 AM
                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                <cunning@f...> wrote:
                > . Beware, however, the seller says they know
                > > nothing about old bows and thus it could be a risky purchase.
                > > Carolus
                >
                > If you look at a blowup of the whole bow it look like one of the
                nocks has
                > the ears broken off.
                > NOT a good sign. I would not risk $40 to England for this bow.
                >
                > James Cunningham

                Hmm... thanks both of you...see, it always pays to check!!

                Everild,
                whose over-enthusiasm really, really will get her in trouble one of
                these days....
              • Sheralee A. Panzano
                Message 7 of 10 , May 28 10:41 AM
                  Everild,

                  I'm always shopping around for used equipment. If you would like to contact me
                  off the group and give me some more information exactly what you are looking for
                  in a bow, I would be glad to go shopping for you. I have gone to many a flea
                  market and found a deal. This way you can be ensured you get a good bow and
                  make sure it is in usable shape for society. Let me know.

                  Sheralee

                  Sheralee A. Panzano
                  spanzano@...
                  215-604-1394 (Home)
                  610-220-0998 (Cell)

                  On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:23:41 -0000, "mekilno" <everildtheclumsy@...>
                  wrote :

                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                  > <cunning@f...> wrote:
                  Beware, however, the seller says they know nothing about old bows and thus it
                  could be a risky purchase.
                  Carolus

                  If you look at a blowup of the whole bow it look like one of the nocks has
                  the ears broken off. NOT a good sign. I would not risk $40 to England for this bow.

                  James Cunningham

                  > Hmm... thanks both of you...see, it always pays to check!!
                  >

                  > Everild,
                  > whose over-enthusiasm really, really will get her in trouble one of
                  > these days....

                • lindorie55
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 28 11:23 AM
                    I agree with the consensus. As a beginning archer, you should be
                    using a bow drawing no more than 30 lbs. If there is loaner gear
                    available, make use of it until you are really ready for that first
                    bow purchase. I waited almost a year before buying my first bow. I
                    had started out with a 25 lb recurve and moved up to a 30 in the
                    loaner gear. My current bow is a longbow that draws 37-38 lbs at 26-
                    1/2 inches, my draw length. I am currently in the market for
                    something a bit 'bigger' I can pull a 45, but it is too much for me
                    to shoot for very long. I am looking for something that will draw
                    about 40-42 lbs at my draw length.

                    Personally, I would not buy bows on ebay...not yet anyway. I don't
                    know enough about them to know for sure if I was getting anything
                    worth having. I know archers that do purchase them that way and do
                    very well, in general. A lot of our loaner gear was bought that way.
                    I know that there are a few bowyers that have ebay shops that have
                    good merchandise and I wouldnt have a problem purchasing from them.
                    One of these is Bitterroot Bows.

                    For now, I am keeping my eyes open for a bow that someone I know may
                    want to get rid of. A good bow, but no longer needed, perhaps
                    outgrown. Have someone you trust that knows bows and archery help you
                    find the right bow for you. It will make your life a lot easier and
                    more pleasant in the long run and probably save you money, too.

                    Good luck!

                    Linet Grey
                    Archery Marshall, Barony of the Steppes

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mekilno" <everildtheclumsy@h...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 28 12:29 PM
                      My huge thanks to everyone here. I should have learnt from fencing -
                      never buy anything on ebay...never mind.

                      A huge, huge thanks to Andras, who contacted off list with his
                      website, and who helped me choose - I now have a bow suitable for me,
                      and for use in the SCA, and cheaply, as well.

                      I hope to see some of you soon, maybe at War of the Roses, or Summer
                      tourney, so I can use it properly (until then, I'll have to pop over
                      to my local archery range which I've just been told about...)

                      Everild,
                      Smiling from ear to ear.