Re: History channel-Arms in Action

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2000
      On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Mat Kerbouchard wrote:

      > From: Mat Kerbouchard <trj@...>
      >
      > Ok John have made sure of the listsings here? I have checked the history chanel and foun nothing of
      > this. I am in the east so the time zones are as mine. maybe your history channel is different from
      > Mine?
      >
      > I do want to see this but I can find it nowhere ion the listings.
      >
      > Lord Mathurin Kerbouchard of the shire, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
      > Northern Region, East Kingdom

      The Bow program was on my local History channel last night at 6:00 PST,
      there may be local exceptions.

      Jon
    • Carl West at home
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2000
        Keith Noseworthy wrote:

        > From: Keith Noseworthy <ar727@...>
        >
        > Their website is http://www.HistoryChannel.com/
        >
        > Speaking as one of the cable-impaired... was the show any good? Do you
        > think it would be worth purchasing?

        Eh. So-so.

        There was a lot of speaking with hushed breathlessness about the romance
        of the longbow. A fair bit of decent footage of re-enactors doing
        Agincort (sp?). (trying to avoid showing the modern field points on the
        arrows, I saw at least one.)

        I'm not sure the description of the benefits of the Mongol bow were
        clear to anyone that didn't already know them.

        The segment on Japanese mounted archery was new and different for me, I
        learned some things. They did seem to dwell on the scaring-away-demons
        aspects a bit much.

        The crossbow segment was interesting but not highly informative. They
        never really hit the fact that while the windlass and cranequin (sp?)
        crossbows had a low rate of fire, they were exceptionally powerful.
        Leaving the viewer to assume the only advantage of the crossbow was that
        you didn't have to grow up shooting one to be any good with it.

        There was some nice insight into the social ramifications of having
        trained archers vs. trained crossbowmen.

        Overall, a little more media silliness and a little less real
        information than I'd have liked. But worth the hour to watch.

        Three stars out of five

        Fritz

        --
        Carl West
        mailto:eisen@...

        Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.