Weapon of mass destruction

  • Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2004
      Weapon of mass destruction

      The English longbow was the weapon that gave English armies the edge in the medieval wars on the continent.

      But at Shrewsbury longbowmen faced each other for the first time - and unprecedented carnage was the result.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/history/2003/02/battle_of_shrewsbury/robert_hardy_01.shtml

      Yours in Service;

      Tighearn (Lord) Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan MacDonald
      Quartermaster of the Barony of Dragonsspine
      Forester Archer of the Kingdom of the Outlands

      When you shoot with a gun, one miss is just as vexatious as another. It is a miss -- maybe an inch, maybe an ell, who knows? -- and you gain nothing from it. Your bird is missed, that is all. But with the bow it is the reverse. Will's miss was almost as pleasurable as a hit -- the bird had such a hair breath escape the shot was so well sent..
      -- Maurice Thompson

    • Keith Hood
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2004
        I remember reading somewhere, years ago, there was supposed to have been a common saying in Europe that was used to describe things that were very dense or that came in very rapid succession, like drops in a heavy rain. The saying was, "As thick as arrows in an English battle." I don't know if it really was used in period, but I like the sound of it.
        :-)

        Keith Hood
        aka Tomonaga

      • Kinjal of Moravia
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2004
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Keith Hood <keilanhoo@y...>
          wrote:
          > I remember reading somewhere, years ago, there was supposed to
          have been a common saying in Europe that was used to describe things
          that were very dense or that came in very rapid succession, like
          drops in a heavy rain. The saying was, "As thick as arrows in an
          English battle." I don't know if it really was used in period, but
          I like the sound of it.
          > :-)
          >

          > Keith Hood

          there are accounts from the 3rd Crusade describing 'walking on a
          carpet of arrows' after a battle

          kinjal

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2004
            Has anyone bought any of those whistling arrow heads that were offered
            from Poland? If so, how well did they work? Did they make a loud,
            medium or soft whistle?

            Thanks