RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Quiver Shivers

  • Tessa the Huntress
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7 7:08 AM
      There are personas that used quivers. It wasn;'t uncommon for some just to
      tuck 6 or so arrows/bolts in their belt though. If you look at the battle
      of hastings (the tapestry), you will see several archers wearing quivers.

      It's my understanding that some used "spacers" which kept the arrows
      separate and kept them from making noise and clacking together.

      I do know there are a number of scrolls that have pictures of Scottish
      people "hunting" with bows/crossbows.. so they might be helpful. I believe
      Master Charles is on this list.. and he has an awesome book full of
      scrolls/illuminations of people hunting in period. I believe some are from
      your time period & area, hopefully he will give more details.. :)

      He does an awesome job doing research and he has an interest in crossbows
      and Irish, but he may have good knowledge of Scottish people as well.

      Good luck on your quest.

      Tessa the Huntress

      > Any decent quivers out there that take care of this while
      remaining in
      > period? My persona is 16th century Scottish, so what would he
      have used?

      > Just curious.
      >
      > Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7 7:12 AM
        Period archers only carried a few arrows, often tucked in a belt. No
        quiver to worry about when hunting.
        Carolus
        On Mon, 3 May 2004 08:10:52 -0400 "Nathaniel S. Prentice"
        <nateprentice@...> writes:
        > Hi.
        >
        > I'm interested in taking up the bow in the SCA (I got a PSE
        > Impala--takedown
        > recurve recently). I'm interested in getting a quiver as well, but
        > I'm
        > worried about the rattling that the arrows will make in the back of
        > a quiver
        > while I move around doing bowhunting.
        >
        > I'm sure that archers in period had the same concerns--what did they
        > do to
        > keep the arrows accessible and yet minimize visible movement and
        > audible
        > noise?
        >
        > Any decent quivers out there that take care of this while remaining
        > in
        > period? My persona is 16th century Scottish, so what would he have
        > used?
        >
        > Just curious.
        >
        > Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste

        > list]
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • kilmye@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7 7:19 AM
          I've seen modern quivers with spacers, and spacers sold seperately. I suppose
          if one didn't mind using some plastic, one could make a period style quiver,
          and use modern inserts inside, where they couldn't be seen. I think it might
          be more fun to learn about how it was done in period, but modern ones would
          work, and could be hidden.

          Kiley

        • LD.BLACKMOON
          Message 4 of 17 , May 7 8:52 AM
            GREETINGS

            MY EARLIEST DOCUMENTATION SHOWS NO QUIVER AT ALL. JUST A CLOTH " SHEAF "
            TUCKED UNDER THE ARCHERS BELT BEHIND HIS BACK. THIS WAS DURING THE AGINCOURT
            ERA.
            FOR HUNTING , I HAVE FOUND THAT SHEEPSKIN IN THE BOTTOM AND AROUND THE TOP
            OF A LEATHER QUIVER DOES WONDERS FOR KEEPING THE ARROWS QUIET,
            BUT JUST CARRYING A FEW IN THE BELT WORKS BEST OF ALL .

            BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
            ARTHUR BLACKMOON
          • jay
            Message 5 of 17 , May 7 9:12 AM
              Greetings all,

              I've used the "belt method" for a few years now (excepting my current
              gaffiation ;) and I've been
              relatively successful with it. A wider (2+ inches) belt seems to work
              better than the narrower ones.

              Regarding spacers, wasn't there something in the Mary Rose findings that
              seemed to be a quiver spacer? That is, a leather disk with a dozen or so
              holes punched in it? It would work well enough for
              bodkin-type heads, but not for broadheads.

              Calum

              At 5/7/04 07:12 AM, you wrote:
              >Period archers only carried a few arrows, often tucked in a belt. No
              >quiver to worry about when hunting.
              >Carolus
            • Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill
              Message 6 of 17 , May 7 11:14 AM
                Ohh that just hurts. I have seen Sir Rand the tracker keep 3 arrows in his bow hand during the speed round and just don't know how he does it! Maybe my hands are just too small.

                I have read about spacers that werer used by archers in the 100 years war. They were used to keep the flechings from getting messed up but it should also keep the arrows quit.

                Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:

                > Any decent quivers out there that take care of this while
                remaining in
                > period? My persona is 16th century Scottish, so what would he
                have used?

                > Just curious.
                >
                > Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste

                my shoddy research in all provinces suggest that they carried three
                arrows in bow hand and perhaps no quiver at all! Interestingly, if
                you draw with arrows in hand you get a different 'sight picture',
                and can use the arrows as range points -- just a thought. My
                earliest suggestion of a quiver was a way for Charlamagne to
                guarantee that each soldier had a proper quota of arrows, not a
                shooting requirement.

                kinjal

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yours in Service;

                Tighearn (Lord) Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan MacDonald
                Quartermaster of the Barony of Dragonsspine
                Forester Archer of the Kingdom of the Outlands

                When you shoot with a gun, one miss is just as vexatious as another. It is a miss -- maybe an inch, maybe an ell, who knows? -- and you gain nothing from it. Your bird is missed, that is all. But with the bow it is the reverse. Will's miss was almost as pleasurable as a hit -- the bird had such a hair breath escape the shot was so well sent..
                -- Maurice Thompson

              • Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7 11:34 AM
                    Greetings
                    I've seen equestrian archery demos in which that gripping of
                    arrows in one's bowhand is used - I was fascinated by the idea, but
                    don't know if I have the nerve to try it unmounted - I suspect I'd end
                    up by dropping everything, at least initially.
                    In regards the original topic of this thread, to quiver or not to
                    quiver (and if you do, is it belt or back) is one of those perennial
                    controversies that regularly gets aired here, and on other lists. It
                    seems clear that some quivers or quiver-like containers were used in
                    period at various times and places - you see illustrations of them in
                    many sources: Bayeux Tapestry for the 11th-12th cent. and the Catherine
                    of Cleves book of hours for the 15th cent. come to mind immediately.
                    And it also seems clear that great many archers had only a handful of
                    arrows (or only used a few arrows at a time) and simply stuck 'em in
                    their belts or sashes. I suspect, but cannot as yet prove, that quivers
                    were more common among later-period professional military archers who
                    were issued a sheaf at a time (24 arrows), and that non-military types
                    (hunter-poachers, foresters, etc. probably took only 2 to 5 arrows with
                    them went they went out to hunt or practice, and did without special
                    bags or sacks, mostly. Probably a matter of cost, availability, and
                    personal taste as much as anything. And I'll betcha there were plenty
                    of counter-examples as well - military archers who scooped up their
                    sheaf, walked up to the line, and stuck 'em in the ground next to them
                    for easy reach (anyone have documentation on metal ground-quivers?) and
                    hunters with artfully tooled fancy quivers like in Catherine of Cleves.

                    Nigel

                    --
                    Ex Tenebra, Lux

                  • hawkwoode@att.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7 11:36 AM
                      I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises, along with a bow case. Visit the website at www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture of the bag. Click on the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery equipment, which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various types.

                      Elizabeth Hawkwood

                      --
                      Nothing's Forgotten - Nothing is
                      Ever Forgotten

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7 11:48 AM
                        WOW! Now that is period. I will have to get one. Nice to see one done so well and for a very fair price.

                        hawkwoode@... wrote:I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises, along with a bow case. Visit the website at www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture of the bag. Click on the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery equipment, which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various types.

                        Elizabeth Hawkwood

                        --

                      • Nathaniel S. Prentice
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 8 12:55 PM
                          Hiya. Thanks for the response to my email. I put a bunch of snippets
                          together. The way to read this is the response I am referring to can be
                          found underneath my response.

                          ------------------------------

                          Now this is a truly interesting idea. I wonder if this would be allowed in
                          a tournament...

                          my shoddy research in all provinces suggest that they carried three
                          arrows in bow hand and perhaps no quiver at all! Interestingly, if
                          you draw with arrows in hand you get a different 'sight picture',
                          and can use the arrows as range points -- just a thought. My
                          earliest suggestion of a quiver was a way for Charlamagne to
                          guarantee that each soldier had a proper quota of arrows, not a
                          shooting requirement.

                          kinjal

                          Actually, my character is late 1500's Scot. I would be afraid to hunt with
                          a purely cloth quiver--what if I fell and the arrows went into my gut? I
                          can see how using a sheepskin liner would work for the arrows on the
                          outside, but what about the jostling between the ones on the inside?
                          Ahhhhh the archer bag that I have read about. At times I wonder if quivers
                          are period at all for a 1340 Scot. Matters not I love my hip quiver but I
                          would like to make a bag like the one described.

                          "LD.BLACKMOON" <LD.BLACKMOON@...> wrote:GREETINGS

                          MY EARLIEST DOCUMENTATION SHOWS NO QUIVER AT ALL. JUST A CLOTH " SHEAF "
                          TUCKED UNDER THE ARCHERS BELT BEHIND HIS BACK. THIS WAS DURING THE AGINCOURT
                          ERA.
                          FOR HUNTING , I HAVE FOUND THAT SHEEPSKIN IN THE BOTTOM AND AROUND THE TOP
                          OF A LEATHER QUIVER DOES WONDERS FOR KEEPING THE ARROWS QUIET,
                          BUT JUST CARRYING A FEW IN THE BELT WORKS BEST OF ALL .

                          BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
                          ARTHUR BLACKMOON

                          I like the arrow bag that you found. It sounds like it fits the description
                          of what some people on the Net have mentioned about the Mary Rose archers.
                          Being a newbie who is just coming off of his training wheels (i.e. compound
                          bow), what exactly is a "spacer"? I think I could probably make one of my
                          own versions of that. Linen scares me, though, for reasons I already
                          stated.

                          Message: 5
                          Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 18:36:33 +0000
                          From: hawkwoode@...
                          Subject: Re: Re: Quiver Shivers

                          I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises, along with a
                          bow case. Visit the website at www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture
                          of the bag. Click on the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery
                          equipment, which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various
                          types.

                          Elizabeth Hawkwood

                          :(

                          With a quiver, noise is always something to overcome.
                          Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - OP, Midrealm Forester
                          "Take thou no scorn to wear the horn; It was a crest ere thou wast born"
                          - As You Like It Act 4, Scene II

                          Thanks for the input, guys. I was actually thinking that it would be OK to
                          break a few rules--I'd be willing to bet the Scots didn't have many bows at
                          all, or if they did, they were too prrrroud to use them, in any case.

                          I like the idea of the linen quiver. I wonder if anyone out there might
                          have a schematic...

                          Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste

                          Archer-in-training, Barony of Bhakail

                        • Carolus Eulenhorst
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 9 10:30 AM
                            Actually, the bags and spacers referred to on this list were storage bags
                            used to ship arrows. The points were gathered in the narrow end of the
                            bag and the nocks placed in the holes of the spacers to prevent crushing
                            the fletchings. When the wide end of the bag was opened, a leather disc
                            with 24 protruding nocks was all that was seen. Then entire sheaf of
                            arrows had to be removed and then the arrows could be removed from the
                            spacer. Contemporary account state that the arrows were issued to the
                            archers who then carried them loose to their position on the line and
                            stuck them in the ground before them.

                            All of which is fine for the military archer. However, our target
                            archery is much more akin to hunting, roving, or the noble target
                            shooting of period. As to practices of the period in this regard nothing
                            has been said. Frankly I have not looked into it either.
                            Carolus

                            On Fri, 07 May 2004 09:12:12 -0700 jay <ravnville@...> writes:
                            > Greetings all,
                            >
                            > I've used the "belt method" for a few years now (excepting my
                            > current
                            > gaffiation ;) and I've been
                            > relatively successful with it. A wider (2+ inches) belt seems to
                            > work
                            > better than the narrower ones.
                            >
                            > Regarding spacers, wasn't there something in the Mary Rose findings
                            > that
                            > seemed to be a quiver spacer? That is, a leather disk with a dozen
                            > or so
                            > holes punched in it? It would work well enough for
                            > bodkin-type heads, but not for broadheads.
                            >
                            > Calum
                            >
                            > At 5/7/04 07:12 AM, you wrote:
                            > >Period archers only carried a few arrows, often tucked in a belt.
                            > No
                            > >quiver to worry about when hunting.
                            > >Carolus

                            > list]
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                          • David Thompson-Hall
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 9 7:24 PM
                              At 6:36 PM +0000 5/7/04, hawkwoode@... wrote:
                              >I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises,
                              >along with a bow case. Visit the website at
                              >www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture of the bag. Click on
                              >the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery equipment,
                              >which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various types.

                              Definitely an awesome sight - does anyone know what they sell their
                              bodkins for, when they're in stock?

                              Also, I am very curious about the book they cited on the web page as
                              their source for the arrow bag and other stuff - "The Medieval
                              Soldier" by Embleton & Howe. If anyone has read this book, can you
                              tell me more about it? What other reconstructions does it have?

                              Jack
                              always glad to find more sources for cool and period stuff

                              --
                              THL John Bartholomew of Flanders, AoA, CDB, CGC, OSN, Watchman jbf@...
                              Barony of Jararvellir, Northshield, Midrealm www.pobox.com/~jbf
                            • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10 5:54 AM
                                Not only were the arrows delivered in the sheaf bags, but 1/3 to 1/4 of
                                of each sheaf were flight arrows, the rest being the larger and heavier
                                shafts used in 'closer' ranges.

                                The arrows "in use" were tucked into the belt, whilst the arrows of
                                "next use" were stuck in the ground.

                                As far as naming ash for arrow woods, Ascham lists it as a favorite
                                amongst others, in Toxophilus. Most of the arrows on the Mary Rose were
                                breasted poplar shafts.

                                Godwin