Looking for crossbow

  • alangwhitney
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2004
      I am interested in getting a period crossbow...period being 13th -
      14th century...and not incredibly expensive...

      How accurate are these?

      Any body have any recommendations?
    • Allan B Zdarsky
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2004
        There are several makers of period crossbows out there, from more than
        reasonable to gotta win the lottery. Others on this list will, I'm sure,
        be more than willing to give you their personal preferences. The good
        gentle who made mine is taking a sabbatical for a while. As for the
        accuracy issue, the most critical part is having good, very closely
        weighed bolts (like within 5 grains in a dozen). With practice, keeping
        them all in the red/gold at 40 yds (assuming you do your part) is an
        attainable, repeatable goal.
        Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS
        An Tir
        On Thu, 06 May 2004 17:31:57 -0000 "alangwhitney"
        <alangwhitney@...> writes:
        > I am interested in getting a period crossbow...period being 13th -
        > 14th century...and not incredibly expensive...
        >
        > How accurate are these?
        >
        > Any body have any recommendations?

        > list]
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • banzhof
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2004
          >I am interested in getting a period crossbow...period being 13th -
          >14th century...and not incredibly expensive...
          >
          >How accurate are these?
          >
          >Any body have any recommendations?

          I recommend Master James Cunningham, Forester of the Greenwood in the
          Midrealm. At least two
          archers have shot royal rounds of 120 or higher with his crossbows.

          He may be reached at: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>

          Alan of Caerlaverock