Re: [SCA-Archery] Need PR

  • saintelmo.1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2004
      They need to come to my mundane range I shoot at, yes there are quite a few people shooting "guns that shoot arrows" but there are also a lot of non-SCA people that are shooting longbows / recurves with wood arrows. It always makes me happy when I see non-SCA people shooting "our" stuff :-)

      Demetrious
      > I caught a snippet of a History Channel piece on Weapons
      > Development. There drift seemed to be that if non-wood arrows and
      > modern compound bows had not been invented the art would have died
      > out. There was not a single mention of archery as a challenging
      > sport other that a hunting emphasis. Where do these people do their
      > research?
      >
      > kinjal

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Rossignol
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2004
        I missed that particular program, but I have gotten the impression from
        many History Channel programs that their research wasn't very good, or
        that they were trying to generalize too much, or that they were pushing
        someone's pet theory. In fairness, though, I have to say that many
        (perhaps undeservedly) respected historians and military theoreticians
        are at least as much at fault in these areas.

        John
        .

        Kinjal of Moravia wrote:

        >I caught a snippet of a History Channel piece on Weapons
        >Development. There drift seemed to be that if non-wood arrows and
        >modern compound bows had not been invented the art would have died
        >out. There was not a single mention of archery as a challenging
        >sport other that a hunting emphasis. Where do these people do their
        >research?
        >
        > kinjal

      • Karl W. Evoy
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2004
          Interesting. When I go shoot at a public range, the SCAdians with me are
          the only ones with wooden arrows and traditional tackle. We get some
          complements for shooting so well with the "old stuff".
          Ancel

          > They need to come to my mundane range I shoot at, yes there are quite a
          few people shooting "guns that shoot arrows" but there are also a lot of
          non-SCA people that are shooting longbows / recurves with wood arrows. It
          always makes me happy when I see non-SCA people shooting "our" stuff :-)

          > Demetrious
          > > I caught a snippet of a History Channel piece on Weapons
          > > Development. There drift seemed to be that if non-wood arrows and
          > > modern compound bows had not been invented the art would have died
          > > out. There was not a single mention of archery as a challenging
          > > sport other that a hunting emphasis. Where do these people do their
          > > research?
          > >
          > > kinjal

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Chad and Erin Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2004
            I always get questions about my crossbow. Then the compliment follow on how
            accurate it is. I sometimes let the mundanes try it. In my area, as long as
            you have a bow, you are part of the fraternity of bowman, no matter the bow
            type.

            -Caedmon
          • kilmye@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2004
              We were looking at houses, and found one we really like. It'll probably sell
              before we can get our act together. Anyway, it had a yard big enough for a
              fight practice, with a fire pit already installed.

              And the best part? The property that it's back to back with, has an archery
              range, sigh. The neighbors to either side had messy yards, so I figure they
              can't complain about our assortment of odd things (beehive oven, kids stuff....).

              Kiley

            • Kip Merriman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
                For any intrested the summer 2004 issue of Primative Archer has a
                good article on combat archery within the SCA. Well written just
                not long enough.

                Senach

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"