comment: A.G.'s Summer Challenge

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      I have a suggestion about the 3 target shot. Given that lanes may be too narrow for the 10 yard spread called for in the original posting, why not change it slightly by wording it as follows:

      the larger target should be twenty yards from the line. The two smaller targets should be at unknown distance, slightly closer (2-4 paces) and as far apart as shooting lanes in the range permit, to a maximum of 10 yards sepasration.

      That would allow enough flexibility to put up all three targets in even a narrow range, but set a reasonable standard allowable deviation to allow for range conditions.

      Just a thought...

      Padraig MacRaighne

    • Chad Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        > the larger target should be twenty yards from the line. The two
        smaller targets should be at unknown distance, slightly closer (2-4
        paces) and as far apart as shooting lanes in the range permit, to a
        maximum of 10 yards sepasration.

        My only problem with this wording would be that you have taken the
        repeatability out of the experiment.

        By defining set distances, we can more accurately measure our skill
        with each other. By allowing unknown distances, you remove that
        factor.

        I like the idea of two smaller side targets. To better fit smaller
        ranges, a smaller seperatation should be chosen to accomodate more
        ranges. Maybe 2 yds? That leads to a 3-target setup at most 7 yards
        across. Or 1 yd.

        With the improved weather, my Lady and I will testing this shoot this
        week. Call me a wimp, but I just don't like to shoot when the temps
        are below 60.

        -Caedmon
      • Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          Wimp! :-)

          We are going to try this shot at least once a month here in Dragonsspine and my archers seem to be excited about it. I don't think they have read the rules yet though :-). If they thought the winter shot was tough...

          Chad Wilson <chaderin@...> wrote:
          > the larger target should be twenty yards from the line. The two
          smaller targets should be at unknown distance, slightly closer (2-4
          paces) and as far apart as shooting lanes in the range permit, to a
          maximum of 10 yards sepasration.

          My only problem with this wording would be that you have taken the
          repeatability out of the experiment.

          By defining set distances, we can more accurately measure our skill
          with each other. By allowing unknown distances, you remove that
          factor.

          I like the idea of two smaller side targets. To better fit smaller
          ranges, a smaller seperatation should be chosen to accomodate more
          ranges. Maybe 2 yds? That leads to a 3-target setup at most 7 yards
          across. Or 1 yd.

          With the improved weather, my Lady and I will testing this shoot this
          week. Call me a wimp, but I just don't like to shoot when the temps
          are below 60.

          -Caedmon

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yours in Service;

          Tighearn (Lord) Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan MacDonald
          (ITS OFFICAL!)
          Quartermaster of the Barony of Dragonsspine
          Forester Archer of the Kingdom of the Outlands

          The wonderful thing about Tiggers is Tiggers are wonderful things! Their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs! Their bouncy, clouncy, flouncy, prouncy FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN! But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is I'm the only one, AM THE ONLY ONE! WOO WOO WHOO WHOO!