Re: Trebuchet episode on Nova (PBS) last night

  • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2000
      Greetings all,

      Even though I did not see any mention of who the archer was or any details about
      his equipment other that his shots went about 200 yards, I believe I recognized
      him. I think this is Simon Stanley and the bow he is using is one of the Mary
      Rose Approximation Bows. His picture in the book ' Longbow A Social and Military
      History' by Robert Hardy (page 210 in my edition) and they look the same to me.
      This is the gentleman who is testing the MRA bows. In the book, they say that
      MRA 1 tested at 102.4 lb. at 30 inch draw. There are no specs given for the
      other two that were made other than saying that the three bows ranged from 100
      to 120 lb draw. They also mention plans to make some bows in the 150 to 160 lb
      range. Here is a quote from the book regarding Mr. Stanley's abilities.

      The experimental Team has now been joined by a remarkable longbowman, Simon
      Stanley from Staffordshire, who can master bows of weights that defeat most
      archers. He has been shooting MRA's 1, 2, and 3 for hours together,
      untiring and in complete control. So far the results suggest very firmly
      that medieval military archers might expect to engage with lighter types of
      arrow at 300 yards and over, and that 275 yards is not an exaggerated range
      for heavy war arrows shot from heavy war bows.

      What we saw on the show bears this out.

      Please, remember that this is just my guess, if someone else knows differently,
      then by all means let us know so we can correctly assign credit where due.

      Yours in service to the Dream,

      Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
      Master of Archers
      Caid

      email: allan@...
      www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

      From sentto-259531-1492-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@... Wed Feb 02 19:27:32 2000
      To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
      Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:00 -0800
      From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

      From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

      They didn't give any info about the archery tackle except what you saw.
      Carolus von Eulenhorst

      On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:49:56 PST "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
      writes:
      >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
      >
      >>snip<<
      >
      >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
      >!#@$#@.
      >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
      >type/quality of armor, etc.?
      >

      > Tomonaga
      >

      >--
      >A long bow and a strong bow,
      >And let the sky grow dark.
      >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
      >And a foreign king for a mark!
      >
      > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
      > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
      > the patron saint of Ansteorra

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
      Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.