Re: Re: Trebuchet episode on Nova (PBS) last night

  • corr.mhaire@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
      The following was what I sent to the Outlands List earlier, If you get
      any of the stations based with Denver channel 6 this is the schedule

      To those interested I just checked my Promo Magazine (supporters program
      guide for KRMA, KRMH & KTSC public broadcasting channels) and the
      schedule for the Lost Empires segment on Medieval Siege is scheduled for
      Tues Feb 1 at 7:00pm with a repeat Sun Feb 6 at 11:00 am

      "Medieval Siege, historians try to recreate the fearson catapult
      "Warwolf" used by England's King Edward I"

      If you're interested the series is as follows. and is scheduled 7:00pm
      Tues repeat 11:00am Sun
      The series explores ancient secrets as modern day experts try to
      replicate the engineering feats of the ages.
      1 Medieeval Siege (trebuchet building and firing)
      2 Pharaoh's Obelisk (raising a solid stone obelisk)
      3 Easter Island (the giant stone statues)
      4 Roman Bath (cerating a working replica)
      5 China Bridge (Song dynasty rainbow bridge)

      On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:18:42 -0800 (PST) GR Auklandus <sircai@...>
      writes:
      > From: GR Auklandus <sircai@...>
      >
      > > Posting this from my friend who's not on the list.
      >

      > > > Check your local PBS stations - I'm sure this will be
      > rebroadcast in the
      > > > near future if you want to see what you missed.

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2000
        Greetings all,

        Even though I did not see any mention of who the archer was or any details about
        his equipment other that his shots went about 200 yards, I believe I recognized
        him. I think this is Simon Stanley and the bow he is using is one of the Mary
        Rose Approximation Bows. His picture in the book ' Longbow A Social and Military
        History' by Robert Hardy (page 210 in my edition) and they look the same to me.
        This is the gentleman who is testing the MRA bows. In the book, they say that
        MRA 1 tested at 102.4 lb. at 30 inch draw. There are no specs given for the
        other two that were made other than saying that the three bows ranged from 100
        to 120 lb draw. They also mention plans to make some bows in the 150 to 160 lb
        range. Here is a quote from the book regarding Mr. Stanley's abilities.

        The experimental Team has now been joined by a remarkable longbowman, Simon
        Stanley from Staffordshire, who can master bows of weights that defeat most
        archers. He has been shooting MRA's 1, 2, and 3 for hours together,
        untiring and in complete control. So far the results suggest very firmly
        that medieval military archers might expect to engage with lighter types of
        arrow at 300 yards and over, and that 275 yards is not an exaggerated range
        for heavy war arrows shot from heavy war bows.

        What we saw on the show bears this out.

        Please, remember that this is just my guess, if someone else knows differently,
        then by all means let us know so we can correctly assign credit where due.

        Yours in service to the Dream,

        Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
        Master of Archers
        Caid

        email: allan@...
        www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

        From sentto-259531-1492-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@... Wed Feb 02 19:27:32 2000
        To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
        Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:00 -0800
        From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

        From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

        They didn't give any info about the archery tackle except what you saw.
        Carolus von Eulenhorst

        On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:49:56 PST "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
        writes:
        >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
        >
        >>snip<<
        >
        >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
        >!#@$#@.
        >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
        >type/quality of armor, etc.?
        >

        > Tomonaga
        >

        >--
        >A long bow and a strong bow,
        >And let the sky grow dark.
        >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
        >And a foreign king for a mark!
        >
        > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
        > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
        > the patron saint of Ansteorra

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
        Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.