Re: Pennsic

  • liadan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
      Greetings All,
      I will be flying out to Pennsic this summer (Huzzah! My 1st Pennsic) with
      Paganus Grimlove. He doesn't subscribe to this list but asked me to say he
      is looking forward to meeting the friends he made the last couple of times
      he went to Pennsic. If anyone wants to contact him his address is
      paganus@... .
      He mentioned he was on the Kings Champion team for the Middle once and was
      an alternate for the East another time. What is this competition and what
      other archery is available at Pennsic? There aren't many specifics at the
      pennsic web site and most of the people I know who have been to Pennsic
      don't shoot. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
      Liadan of Seahaven
      Kingdom of Caid
    • Shurgin,Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
        Hi Liadan,

        Pennsic has many novelty shoots for the two weeks. (Almost constantly from
        10-4pm) Some are night time/dusk shoots. The schedule for Archery is
        usually not posted except during Pennsic at the Range. Some shoots are
        posted in the Pennsic handbook, and may be in the Pennsic newspapers. The
        teams you are referring to are probably for the War Points. As to the
        make-up of the Champions team, these are decided by the crowns and the
        Archer General of their Kingdom. We more than welcome Paganus to come and
        shoot. General populace shoots at three events. The first is advancing man.
        20 to 70 yards at 10 yard intervals. It is timed. Second is a window slot,
        at 30 yards, 8" by 3 feet, last is the clout at 100 yards distance. Once the
        general War Point shoots start, there are no novelty shoots during the day.
        Last year we had an English shoot-- York shoot? for novelty at 40, 60 and 80
        yards. It actually was supposed to be 60, 80 and 100 yard distances. Lots of
        fun!

        Have a great time at Pennsic!

        Roewynne

      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
          Greeting Liadan

          I have shot with and against Paganus Grimlove and he is a fine archer. Bring
          your farvorite bow and one or two dozen arrows. We shoot a lot at Pennsic.
          I was and am the keeper of the novelty shoots Calandar. Last year's is
          still at: http://www.ctcn.net/~cunning/.htm The ring and belt were not won
          last year and should come back. My lady... Lady Thea the Spinner started in
          Caid.

          James Cunningham

          >> From: liadan <liadan@...>
          >>
          >> Greetings All,
          >> I will be flying out to Pennsic this summer (Huzzah! My 1st Pennsic)
          with
          >> Paganus Grimlove. He doesn't subscribe to this list but asked me to say
          >> he
          >> is looking forward to meeting the friends he made the last couple of
          times
          >> he went to Pennsic. If anyone wants to contact him his address is
          >> paganus@... .
          >> He mentioned he was on the Kings Champion team for the Middle once and
          was
          >> an alternate for the East another time. What is this competition and
          >> what
          >> other archery is available at Pennsic? There aren't many specifics at
          >> the
          >> pennsic web site and most of the people I know who have been to Pennsic
          >> don't shoot. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
          >> Liadan of Seahaven
          >> Kingdom of Caid

          >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
          >> Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
          >> Here</a>

          >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
          >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
          Here</a>

        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 15, 2001
            Greetings
            The second week will be largely taken up by war-point (Clout, 30 yd.
            Wand, Advancing man), But there should be some availability of general
            practice; certainly after hours if nothing else. There will also be
            novelty shoots scheduled at various times -- I'm unable to give you a
            useful timetable on those because they are pretty much
            catch-as-catch-can -- there will be a daily schedule posted on the
            range, with stuff added to it as neccesary - that would be your best
            source of info on what's going on.
            One advantage that we have this year is in no longer being affected by
            the battles, so we can stay open at all times during the day. So there
            ought to be more time to get stuff in. And there's always activity,
            either informal or scheduled, after hours.

            Cordially;
            Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

            Nest verch Tangwystyl wrote:

            > Greetings all,
            >
            > I am sorry for posting a question which will not matter to many of you.
            > Has anyone on this list gone to pennsic in the past, and does anyone know
            > what kind of archery diversions I could expect there? I am going to be
            > there for the second week, and am wondering if there is going to be some
            > fun stuff at the archery range. I have looked at the schedule, but it
            > doesn't really explain stuff.
            >
            > Nest

            > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • Nest verch Tangwystyl
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@r...> wrote:
              > Greetings
              > The second week will be largely taken up by war-point (Clout,
              30 yd.
              > Wand, Advancing man), But there should be some availability of
              general
              > practice; certainly after hours if nothing else. There will also be
              > novelty shoots scheduled at various times -- I'm unable to give you
              > useful timetable on those because they are pretty much
              > catch-as-catch-can -- there will be a daily schedule posted on the
              > range, with stuff added to it as neccesary - that would be your best
              > source of info on what's going on.

              All right now I am really showing my newness. What is war-point? What
              is the archery war point (populace shoot) listed on the main
              schedule?, and what is the archery champions also listed there? I did
              look around the pennsic site but couldn't find much info on archery at
              all.

              Nest
            • Elizabeth Lear
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
                The Pennsic War is the East Kingdom vs the Middle Kingdom. It won by
                the Kingdom with the most points. Points are earned by winning
                martial art events based on archery, fighting, and fencing. These
                events are commonly referred to as "war points", meaning both the
                event and the goal. All of the other kingdoms ally themselves with
                one side or the other. Most of the time the goal is to even out the
                numbers for each conflict so everyone has the most fun.

                The archery war points are as follows:

                The "populace shoot" is also called the "mass archery shoot". There
                are three parts: the clout (100 yds into a 'castle'), the castle
                window (30yds at an 8" by 30" 'slot'), and the advancing barbarian
                (timed shoot of 5 seconds each at 70yds, 60yds, 50yds, 40yds, 30yds, &
                20yds). These are practiced during the first 10 days or so of the
                war, then 'war point' shooting begins, meaning scores are recorded to
                count towards the point. The kingdom with the highest number of
                scored points wins each section, and historically the kingdom taking
                two of the three sections takes the war point. All people attending
                Pennsic are eligible to shoot, but bows may only be shared if there is
                equipment failure, and each person may only shoot each section once
                for a score. This is why all people are encouraged to shoot, even if
                they might only get a single point.

                Historically, the Middle fields more archers, but the East's archers
                are more accurate. It is very hard to predict a winner.

                The archery champions is based on the same premise as the other
                Pennsic champions battles: each of the two kingdoms picks a limited
                number of people from their subjects and their allies, then the sides
                face off in a battle for a war point. Besides archery champions,
                there are several varietites of fighting champions battles, and a
                fencing champions battle.

                Historically, the archery champions are comprised of 30 archers on
                each side. The teams are formed by methods determined by the warring
                kingdoms. The battle is comprised of several shoots, and is much like
                a tourney with the exception of working and scoring in teams instead
                of individually. It's a lot of fun, and everyone has a lot of
                comraderie on the field desite what side people are on.

                -Yelizaveta Medvedeva
              • Cian of Storvik
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
                  How goes the war?
                  I understand that there are certain treaties that get broken or
                  negotiated just before the beginning of the wars. Does anyone know who
                  is fighting whom? I understand that Atlantia is at war with the East
                  Kingdom, but I have no idea who else is allied.
                  Have there been any war points scored yet? If so, what's the standings?
                  -Cian of Storvik
                  (Who last night scored his second 59 RR with an English longbow).
                • Cian of Storvik
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
                    I had a brainstorm (more of a brain drizzle really) and just
                    remembered the Pennsic Independant. For anyone else that was wondering;
                    Middle and East are at war, and these other kingdoms are their allies.
                    Under the East's Tyger banner; West, Adtenveldt, Caid, An Tir, Lochac,
                    Artemesia, Ansteorra, Acre.

                    Under the Middle's Dragon banner; Meridies, AEthelmearc, Ealdormere,
                    Trimaris, Atlantia, Ealdormere, Calontir, Outlands, Northshield, and
                    the Great Dark hordes.

                    Read about it in the PENNSIC INDEPENDANT.

                    As much as I hate READING about pennsic, I know that I will regret
                    missing it even more when the participants return with their tales.
                    -Cian