Re: Trebuchet episode on Nova (PBS) last night

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
      > From: GR Auklandus <sircai@...>, on 2/2/00 2:17 PM:
      > If it had been done to draw the bow, I might not have been confused. He drew
      the bow
      > fairly regularly. It was when he pushed the release the I wondered.

      Having drawn a 100 pound longbow, I will tell you that is is natural to spring
      forward at release. You are pulling with a fluid lever (your draw arm) against
      a fixed brace (your bow arm and the left side of your body). You are pushing a
      great deal with that arm, and actually find yourself leaning into the bow to
      help maintain steadiness. Just like your release hand goes back when you relax
      your fingers (with substantial force), suddenly your forearm doesn't have
      anything to push against, and you do sort of 'spring' forward. This is not
      nearly as pronounced in lighter bows, but it does happen. It is a bows
      equivalent of 'recoil' and you get lots more of it when you are using a really
      heavy bow.

      Kaz
    • Karl Sandhoff
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
        They didn't give any info about the archery tackle except what you saw.
        Carolus von Eulenhorst

        On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:49:56 PST "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
        writes:
        >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
        >
        >>snip<<
        >
        >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
        >!#@$#@.
        >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
        >type/quality of armor, etc.?
        >

        > Tomonaga
        >

        >--
        >A long bow and a strong bow,
        >And let the sky grow dark.
        >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
        >And a foreign king for a mark!
        >
        > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
        > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
        > the patron saint of Ansteorra

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • corr.mhaire@juno.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
          The following was what I sent to the Outlands List earlier, If you get
          any of the stations based with Denver channel 6 this is the schedule

          To those interested I just checked my Promo Magazine (supporters program
          guide for KRMA, KRMH & KTSC public broadcasting channels) and the
          schedule for the Lost Empires segment on Medieval Siege is scheduled for
          Tues Feb 1 at 7:00pm with a repeat Sun Feb 6 at 11:00 am

          "Medieval Siege, historians try to recreate the fearson catapult
          "Warwolf" used by England's King Edward I"

          If you're interested the series is as follows. and is scheduled 7:00pm
          Tues repeat 11:00am Sun
          The series explores ancient secrets as modern day experts try to
          replicate the engineering feats of the ages.
          1 Medieeval Siege (trebuchet building and firing)
          2 Pharaoh's Obelisk (raising a solid stone obelisk)
          3 Easter Island (the giant stone statues)
          4 Roman Bath (cerating a working replica)
          5 China Bridge (Song dynasty rainbow bridge)

        • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2000
            Greetings all,

            Even though I did not see any mention of who the archer was or any details about
            his equipment other that his shots went about 200 yards, I believe I recognized
            him. I think this is Simon Stanley and the bow he is using is one of the Mary
            Rose Approximation Bows. His picture in the book ' Longbow A Social and Military
            History' by Robert Hardy (page 210 in my edition) and they look the same to me.
            This is the gentleman who is testing the MRA bows. In the book, they say that
            MRA 1 tested at 102.4 lb. at 30 inch draw. There are no specs given for the
            other two that were made other than saying that the three bows ranged from 100
            to 120 lb draw. They also mention plans to make some bows in the 150 to 160 lb
            range. Here is a quote from the book regarding Mr. Stanley's abilities.

            The experimental Team has now been joined by a remarkable longbowman, Simon
            Stanley from Staffordshire, who can master bows of weights that defeat most
            archers. He has been shooting MRA's 1, 2, and 3 for hours together,
            untiring and in complete control. So far the results suggest very firmly
            that medieval military archers might expect to engage with lighter types of
            arrow at 300 yards and over, and that 275 yards is not an exaggerated range
            for heavy war arrows shot from heavy war bows.

            What we saw on the show bears this out.

            Please, remember that this is just my guess, if someone else knows differently,
            then by all means let us know so we can correctly assign credit where due.

            Yours in service to the Dream,

            Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
            Master of Archers
            Caid

            email: allan@...
            www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

            From sentto-259531-1492-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@... Wed Feb 02 19:27:32 2000
            To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
            Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:00 -0800
            From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

            From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

            writes:
            >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
            >
            >>snip<<
            >
            >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
            >!#@$#@.
            >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
            >type/quality of armor, etc.?
            >

            > Tomonaga
            >

            >--
            >A long bow and a strong bow,
            >And let the sky grow dark.
            >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
            >And a foreign king for a mark!
            >
            > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
            > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
            > the patron saint of Ansteorra

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

            GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
            Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.