Re: Trebuchet episode on Nova (PBS) last night

  • Steitan99@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
      Didn't see the show but your description of the archer's form
      reminds me of a passage in "Longbow" which may have been
      quoted from"Toxophilus" that goes something like- to draw the
      arrow the archer had to step into the bow.
      When you consider that war bows ranged from 80# to 140#
      it seems plausible an archer would use his body instead of just
      his arms to draw (or push) these weights.
      Steitan
    • GR Auklandus
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
        --- Steitan99@... wrote:
        > Didn't see the show but your description of the archer's form
        > reminds me of a passage in "Longbow" which may have been
        > quoted from"Toxophilus" that goes something like- to draw the
        > arrow the archer had to step into the bow.
        > When you consider that war bows ranged from 80# to 140#
        > it seems plausible an archer would use his body instead of just
        > his arms to draw (or push) these weights.
        > Steitan

        If it had been done to draw the bow, I might not have been confused. He drew the bow
        fairly regularly. It was when he pushed the release the I wondered.

        Griffin
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Chris Nogy
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
          > From: GR Auklandus <sircai@...>, on 2/2/00 2:17 PM:
          > If it had been done to draw the bow, I might not have been confused. He drew
          the bow
          > fairly regularly. It was when he pushed the release the I wondered.

          Having drawn a 100 pound longbow, I will tell you that is is natural to spring
          forward at release. You are pulling with a fluid lever (your draw arm) against
          a fixed brace (your bow arm and the left side of your body). You are pushing a
          great deal with that arm, and actually find yourself leaning into the bow to
          help maintain steadiness. Just like your release hand goes back when you relax
          your fingers (with substantial force), suddenly your forearm doesn't have
          anything to push against, and you do sort of 'spring' forward. This is not
          nearly as pronounced in lighter bows, but it does happen. It is a bows
          equivalent of 'recoil' and you get lots more of it when you are using a really
          heavy bow.

          Kaz
        • Karl Sandhoff
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
            They didn't give any info about the archery tackle except what you saw.
            Carolus von Eulenhorst

            On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:49:56 PST "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
            writes:
            >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
            >
            >>snip<<
            >
            >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
            >!#@$#@.
            >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
            >type/quality of armor, etc.?
            >

            > Tomonaga
            >

            >--
            >A long bow and a strong bow,
            >And let the sky grow dark.
            >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
            >And a foreign king for a mark!
            >
            > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
            > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
            > the patron saint of Ansteorra

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • corr.mhaire@juno.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2000
              The following was what I sent to the Outlands List earlier, If you get
              any of the stations based with Denver channel 6 this is the schedule

              To those interested I just checked my Promo Magazine (supporters program
              guide for KRMA, KRMH & KTSC public broadcasting channels) and the
              schedule for the Lost Empires segment on Medieval Siege is scheduled for
              Tues Feb 1 at 7:00pm with a repeat Sun Feb 6 at 11:00 am

              "Medieval Siege, historians try to recreate the fearson catapult
              "Warwolf" used by England's King Edward I"

              If you're interested the series is as follows. and is scheduled 7:00pm
              Tues repeat 11:00am Sun
              The series explores ancient secrets as modern day experts try to
              replicate the engineering feats of the ages.
              1 Medieeval Siege (trebuchet building and firing)
              2 Pharaoh's Obelisk (raising a solid stone obelisk)
              3 Easter Island (the giant stone statues)
              4 Roman Bath (cerating a working replica)
              5 China Bridge (Song dynasty rainbow bridge)

            • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2000
                Greetings all,

                Even though I did not see any mention of who the archer was or any details about
                his equipment other that his shots went about 200 yards, I believe I recognized
                him. I think this is Simon Stanley and the bow he is using is one of the Mary
                Rose Approximation Bows. His picture in the book ' Longbow A Social and Military
                History' by Robert Hardy (page 210 in my edition) and they look the same to me.
                This is the gentleman who is testing the MRA bows. In the book, they say that
                MRA 1 tested at 102.4 lb. at 30 inch draw. There are no specs given for the
                other two that were made other than saying that the three bows ranged from 100
                to 120 lb draw. They also mention plans to make some bows in the 150 to 160 lb
                range. Here is a quote from the book regarding Mr. Stanley's abilities.

                The experimental Team has now been joined by a remarkable longbowman, Simon
                Stanley from Staffordshire, who can master bows of weights that defeat most
                archers. He has been shooting MRA's 1, 2, and 3 for hours together,
                untiring and in complete control. So far the results suggest very firmly
                that medieval military archers might expect to engage with lighter types of
                arrow at 300 yards and over, and that 275 yards is not an exaggerated range
                for heavy war arrows shot from heavy war bows.

                What we saw on the show bears this out.

                Please, remember that this is just my guess, if someone else knows differently,
                then by all means let us know so we can correctly assign credit where due.

                Yours in service to the Dream,

                Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
                Master of Archers
                Caid

                email: allan@...
                www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

                From sentto-259531-1492-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@... Wed Feb 02 19:27:32 2000
                To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
                Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:00 -0800
                From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

                From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

                writes:
                >From: "Keith Hood" <keith_dell@...>
                >
                >>snip<<
                >
                >I missed the first half of the program because of a traffic snarl,
                >!#@$#@.
                >What were the particulars of the shot? Draw weight, type of point,
                >type/quality of armor, etc.?
                >

                > Tomonaga
                >

                >--
                >A long bow and a strong bow,
                >And let the sky grow dark.
                >The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
                >And a foreign king for a mark!
                >
                > -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
                > By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                > the patron saint of Ansteorra

                Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

                GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.